LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 things that you dislike about church drummin'......  (Read 7092 times)

HumbleGospelDrummer

5 things that you dislike about church drummin'......
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »
Lemme kick this off this >:( >:(  ;D

1. Guest drummers fonky breath
2. Kids messin' with my set after church
3. Goin' to another church and they have a broke down Flinstones slash Geico cave man set.
4. Drummers playin' my set like thurr on medication.
5. OOOOOOOOOOO i hate this lol.  When the praise and worship team sing a song then after a while they stop abruptly and leave you playing and you'll have to find a spot to stop.

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

Re: 5 things that you dislike about church drummin'......
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
5 things I hate about drummin in church or church drummers  ;D

well, in no particular order, about drummin in church

1.  Church expecting you to make due with old or no equipment, making you have to bring in your own stuff or do without while they throw thousands at keyboards for a new keyboard player when they only gonna stick around for a few weeks.

2.  You kick off the tempo, the bands get grooving, then the choir praise team come in at their own tempo

3.  to piggy back off that....songs that the choir/praise team starts...then the band comes in maintaining the tempo they started, then they want to look at the drummer and say its too slow or too fast....or better yet.  you play the whole song then at the end they stop to tell you its too fast.  it wasn't too fast the last 4 minutes....and by the way its the same tempo of the CD, but they "can't breathe, its too fast"

4.  You make plans weeks in advance, then on Friday they tell you, we have fellowship at such and such Sunday afternoon and we are leading the whole service.  Can't they tell you sooner than that.

5.  This aint about drummin in particular, but the music in general.  YOu spend time learning the song.  have all the accents etc, then the choir leader comes in and don't even know the song themselves and are incapable of teaching the song, and or the other musicians play the song in such a way you can't even recognize what it is.

I may think of some more, but thats a start
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:58:31 PM »

4.  You make plans weeks in advance, then on Friday they tell you, we have fellowship at such and such Sunday afternoon and we are leading the whole service.  Can't they tell you sooner than that.

I hate that one, one time they told me on Sunday Morning!

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:16:41 PM »

3.  to piggy back off that....songs that the choir/praise team starts...then the band comes in maintaining the tempo they started, then they want to look at the drummer and say its too slow or too fast....or better yet.  you play the whole song then at the end they stop to tell you its too fast.  it wasn't too fast the last 4 minutes....and by the way its the same tempo of the CD, but they "can't breathe, its too fast"

Omg, i go through that all of the time, too many times to list.  Also i go through it during shout music.  I play the original tempo like we always do........but they say i play it too fast but its not my fault ur out of shape lololololol. :P :P ;D ;D

Quote from: shall176
5.  This aint about drummin in particular, but the music in general.  YOu spend time learning the song.  have all the accents etc, then the choir leader comes in and don't even know the song themselves and are incapable of teaching the song, and or the other musicians play the song in such a way you can't even recognize what it is.

LOL!!!!! Our choir does that sometimes and i laugh sometimes, but its all good cuz its outta love. 

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:53:01 PM »
this can't be productive
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »
this can't be productive

tell me about it. :-\
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:30:29 PM »
this can't be productive

tell GMS about it...   :P

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:28:59 AM »
This might not be productive, but it's good to know that folks go through the same thing. I know people that switch ministries because they thought the grass was greener on the other side. Soon they found out they were better off where they were.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »
Oh boy! there are a number of things but the main three have already been said:

2. You kick off the tempo, the bands get grooving, then the choir praise team come in at their own tempo

and also as N.J. the kid said

"3. Goin' to another church and they have a broke down Flinstones slash Geico cave man set."

ecspecially when u enquire before hand and they make out like its a good kit.  ?/?

4. Some Other drummers' attitudes, some of them act up... cnt give u respect just for bein a musician. God help a humble brother or sister if they make a minor mistake or even miss the crash! lol :-\

5. when a song starts wrong they look at the drummer.... the drummer dnt start the intro usually its the keys player or guitar player... u kno like just after they announce the next song and the p+ w team are getting ready... keys player/ gutarist plays it quietly and they set the tempo and sometime the style.

but who gets looked at... moi.   >:( i think thats the one that get 2 me most. lol

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »
1. Immature/Ignorant music directors who seem to think they are faultless!

2. A worship team full of Divas!

3. A worship leader who speeds up when you're in the middle of a fill!

4. A Band with no sense of time!

5. No monitors and they put you behind the choir!

6. (yeah Im going past 5 I need to vent) The fool bassist who all of a sudden is only listening to smooth jazz and pop music and now is coming and telling you your to busy anytime you do a fill  past 8th notes!

7. Being blamed for the kick pdl breaking when you want even at the Church when it happened!

8. Single worship leaders and band who expect you to get your wife and two small kids up at 5am to be there for 7 45 call!

9. Three Stinking Services!

10. Tempo has no meaning!

11. Key has no meaning!

12. Stolen kick PDL

13. Someone broke into the Church and knifed all the heads!

14. Other drummers jealousy of your talent and hating on you because of it!

15. You have to bring and set up a kit every Sunday!

16. Not being paid what you're worth!

17. Not being paid!

18. You look out and all you see is gray hair!

19. Sound Men who think Church should be run at 80 Dbl

20. People blaming you because the sound people suck!

21. People who come and tell you that you're talented but that their son or son in law is better then you!

22. Women who come and BUG & BEG you to give their Son a chance to play because they are very talented......You feel for the guy and give them a chance, they SUUUUCCCCCK!!!! THEN the worship leader comes and tells you never to do that again!

23. No money for sticks!

24. The Pastors Son play es and the only time you get to play was if he didn't show up or after the preaching or he cut his leg open and couldn't play for months!

25. You go to a Church to play and they have Camber Cymbals, CB 700 drum kit with 12, 13, 16, Toms 14 snare all beaten to hell factory heads and you forgot your key!

26. Drum set circa. 1969

27. Md's loops suck so bad that you end up turning it down in your head set, and he keeps playing them in the service!

28. Guys who think that Church drumming is a drum off!

29. Someone took the bottom heads off!!

30. The usher brings the offering plate up to you and holds it out expecting you to give him your money and you're in the middle of drumming!

These are all things Ive hated over the 21 years of Church drumming Ive done!!! I just needed to vent!!!! LOL I was still holding things from 1986!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 08:06:09 AM »

6. (yeah Im going past 5 I need to vent) The fool bassist who all of a sudden is only listening to smooth jazz and pop music and now is coming and telling you your to busy anytime you do a fill  past 8th notes!

7. Being blamed for the kick pdl breaking when you want even at the Church when it happened!

8. Single worship leaders and band who expect you to get your wife and two small kids up at 5am to be there for 7 45 call!

11. Key has no meaning!

12. Stolen kick PDL

17. Not being paid!

21. People who come and tell you that you're talented but that their son or son in law is better then you!

22. Women who come and BUG & BEG you to give their Son a chance to play because they are very talented......You feel for the guy and give them a chance, they SUUUUCCCCCK!!!! THEN the worship leader comes and tells you never to do that again!

23. No money for sticks!

24. The Pastors Son play es and the only time you get to play was if he didn't show up or after the preaching or he cut his leg open and couldn't play for months!

25. You go to a Church to play and they have Camber Cymbals, CB 700 drum kit with 12, 13, 16, Toms 14 snare all beaten to hell factory heads and you forgot your key!

26. Drum set circa. 1969

27. Md's loops suck so bad that you end up turning it down in your head set, and he keeps playing them in the service!

30. The usher brings the offering plate up to you and holds it out expecting you to give him your money and you're in the middle of drumming!

These are all things Ive hated over the 21 years of Church drumming Ive done!!! I just needed to vent!!!! LOL I was still holding things from 1986!!!

:o :o :o
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

drummin4JC

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 08:08:15 AM »

11. Key has no meaning!

12. Stolen kick PDL

17. Not being paid!

23. No money for sticks!

26. Drum set circa. 1969

LMBO!  :D  :D  :D this guy always makes me crack up!!!!

joshuag

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:09:29 AM »
you put so many, LOL!!! how about my favorvite one... they go off beat and they all look at you like it is your fault!!!....

drummin4JC

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »
you put so many, LOL!!! how about my favorvite one... they go off beat and they all look at you like it is your fault!!!....

yea thats very true...

Offline RGASKIN

• LGM Member
  • An muscian ready to explore !!!!

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 09:36:30 AM »
UR SO RITE DUDE!!!!!! dANG!!!! I BALEEVE DAT'LL PREACH............LOL..

11. Key has no meaning!

12. Stolen kick PDL

17. Not being paid!

23. No money for sticks!

26. Drum set circa. 1969

- Drum Ducer

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!lol

Know when somebody look at me i either say, "That wasnt me" or "that was you(r fault)".

Offline djdavis

• LGM Member
  • Me Sheddin
    • http://www.myspace.com/davidjdavis

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »

11. Key has no meaning!

12. Stolen kick PDL

17. Not being paid!

23. No money for sticks!

26. Drum set circa. 1969

amen! lool this guy is such a joka

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 04:01:51 PM »

I don't know if you noticed when I played at that service with you...On do you know Jesus we had the beat and then they started clapping and switched the beat completely...I stopped and looked and started again but you couldn't see me
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »
I hate when the church has 12,13,16 Inch Toms and No Reso heads and on top of that, they have the toms that stare right at you when you get on the kit! >:( :D... Or when everything on that could be broken on the kit is broken like the Hi Hat Clutch, Throne, And snare stand!...
Richard

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »

11. Key has no meaning!

12. Stolen kick PDL

17. Not being paid!

23. No money for sticks!

26. Drum set circa. 1969

*Steps up to the mic at the podium in the pulpit*

Lets thank Brotha BBD for his rowsing sermon!  If there are no further announcments or orders of business, and all hearts and minds are clear, I'll give the benediction.  Then we can go eat some dinner!
You Are Your Only Limitation!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up