LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 things that you dislike about church drummin'......  (Read 7101 times)

drummin4JC

Re: 5 things that you dislike about church drummin'......
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »
Additions!

37. I shoulda sat on the toilet before I left this morning!

lol this always happens to me!

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2007, 11:33:16 AM »
Additions!

31. That goof with the tambourine who some other time signature then the one being played!

33. Who's been playing this kit!? No one! Then why is everything moved!? Ohh you don't know!!! I thought I was the only drummer!

The tambourine gets me every sunday lol.  If it isnt one of brothers who has downs, then i get kinda mad because its a distraction to everyone in the church especially during a slow worship song.

And i still dont know who slightly moves the hi hat and snare(stand) sometimes.  Whoever it is tries to be slick but i know when somebody messes with it.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 07:08:53 AM »
Additions!

31. That goof with the tambourine who some other time signature then the one being played!

32. Crappy sound men give you all the feed back your ears can ever want in your head set!

33. Who's been playing this kit!? No one! Then why is everything moved!? Ohh you don't know!!! I thought I was the only drummer!

34. Playing at a Church full of old Jamaicans and playing hymns from the 70's set to reggae and soca ALL NIGHT!!!

35. Playing at an old white person Church and playing Country all day long!

36. Your wife always complaining because you took too long to pack up your stuff!

37. I shoulda sat on the toilet before I left this morning!

38. The one song that sang every week!

39. Shouts that last 3 hours after the preaching or go until 11pm (night service)

40. The M.D. stinks but you have to try to respect him/her every week!

41. Someone coming up and asking "cant you just use brushes?"

LOL!  #33 is classic!!!   :D

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
I have dealt with many of the aforementioned happenings and I would like to add.........

People who see you setting up your kit, sit right by you for the service, and then complain to the Pastor that the drums are too loud and you get called out from the pulpit.

People (older deacons and such) that have sat by me and had the nerve to put their fingers in their ears when I played. 

People who ask you to come and play for morning worship, then ask you to play for one or two more services, but only want to pay you for morning service.

People who ask you to play only when their regular drummer doesn't show up.  But they never ask you to be a regular part of the music team when you're waaaaaaaay better than the guy they chose.  (They knew that you played before they even thought of hiring a drummer.)  We're talking church politics here.

People who want you to play at the last minute, but can't tell you what they're gonna play, and just say, "they're easy beats."  If I don't know the song, that doesn't help.

Drummers at other churches you visit who know you play, and try to stare you down as if it's a challenge.

These are pretty personal for me, so please forgive me if I lose you.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »
OK OK I got one! 

It really burns me up when I come to church on Sunday, and find broken sticks and massive stick shavings all around the drum area!!!  I'm like, "what happened???"  They are like, "Oh we had a concert here last night!"  Im like, "Well I didnt know anything about that, and who left broken pro-mark Calvin Rogers signature sticks on the floor?"  And they are like, "Oh yeah, he played here last night!"  And I'm like, "What!!!"   >:(

Man I was so mad!   :D  I started to hit that dude up on myspace like, "Dude you could've at least cleaned up behind yourself!!!  LOL!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »
1. I hate playing at churches that sing nothing but Bishop Ronald E. Brown songs, a la:

Enjoying Jesus

There's A Storm Out On the Ocean

Victory Is Mine

the list goes on....

The really bad thing is they string about six of these songs together making one continuous song that takes an hour and a half to get through. I absolutely hate that.

2. Church songs in 3/4. That double clap is Satanic! *boom clap clap boom clap clap...*

3. I hate the entourage of people that crowd the drummer/musicians at a concert with there oohhs and ahhhhs cocked, loaded, and ready to go.

I hate to see the church musician in a polo shirt carrying a hand towel, knowing they're not going to play a lick of anything that day. Why do you need the hand towel?

4. As best said by BBD, "32. Crappy sound men give you all the feed back your ears can ever want in your head set!"

5. Key players who have to go through all the keys to find the right one the song is in. I call it the Chromatic Scale of Doom.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »
1. I hate playing at churches that sing nothing but Bishop Ronald E. Brown songs, a la:

Enjoying Jesus

There's A Storm Out On the Ocean

Victory Is Minethe list goes on....

The really bad thing is they string about six of these songs together making one continuous song that takes an hour and a half to get through. I absolutely hate that.

2. Church songs in 3/4. That double clap is Satanic! *boom clap clap boom clap clap...*

3. I hate the entourage of people that crowd the drummer/musicians at a concert with there oohhs and ahhhhs cocked, loaded, and ready to go.

I hate to see the church musician in a polo shirt carrying a hand towel, knowing they're not going to play a lick of anything that day. Why do you need the hand towel?

4. As best said by BBD, "32. Crappy sound men give you all the feed back your ears can ever want in your head set!"

5. Key players who have to go through all the keys to find the right one the song is in. I call it the Chromatic Scale of Doom.

Dont get me started on Victory dawg.................

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2007, 08:05:11 PM »
OK OK I got one! 

It really burns me up when I come to church on Sunday, and find broken sticks and massive stick shavings all around the drum area!!!  I'm like, "what happened???"  They are like, "Oh we had a concert here last night!"  Im like, "Well I didnt know anything about that, and who left broken pro-mark Calvin Rogers signature sticks on the floor?"  And they are like, "Oh yeah, he played here last night!"  And I'm like, "What!!!"   >:(

Man I was so mad!   :D  I started to hit that dude up on myspace like, "Dude you could've at least cleaned up behind yourself!!!  LOL!

LMBO!!! C'mon now Sheen...Did that REALLY happen?
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »
1.I hate when other Musicians come and just set up there equipment and play with our band and don't know what they are doing!.. That makes me wanna throw my entire stick bag at em'

I hate when other drummers tune my kit! Then I have to tune it all over again when I had it sounding perfect!
Richard

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
LMBO!!! C'mon now Sheen...Did that REALLY happen?

Yup!  No lie!!!

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 07:52:11 AM »
You should have called that Jive Turkey! ;D
Richard

drummin4JC

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 05:46:44 PM »
Yup!  No lie!!!

suck to be you dawg!!! lol jk

Offline Lamonte 1990

• LGM Member
  • "God is FIRST; then everything else comes after...
    • New Beginning Church of God In Christ

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »
Oh boy! there are a number of things but the main three have already been said:

and also as N.J. the kid said

"3. Goin' to another church and they have a broke down Flinstones slash Geico cave man set."

ecspecially when u enquire before hand and they make out like its a good kit.  ?/?

4. Some Other drummers' attitudes, some of them act up... cnt give u respect just for bein a musician. God help a humble brother or sister if they make a minor mistake or even miss the crash! lol :-\

Man you took the words right outta my mouth!!!! LOL LOL

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
suck to be you dawg!!! lol jk

man are we the only folk that like that BP snare? lol.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
1. You go to a church with a horrible drum set and the throne is a fold up chair that's too low to reach the set...

2. Bass players that don't know they're playing actual bass...they act like they're playing lead guitar by staying on the high end all night...

3. Going to rehersals and spending 3 hours practicing a songs that you'll never even play in church...

4. Little kids comin up and beatin on stuff after church, playing like it's time too shout all over again...

5. The entire band gets cut off from our jam session after church because the only two people left in the church wanna have an hour long conversation in the back corner and can't call eachother on the phone or go in the basement...

LAWD HAVE MERCY...THESE CHU'CH FOLK!!!!

"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline Bassyboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »
I agree with N.J....
now im a bass player...but our drum player ALWAYS gets mad when
lil kids mess around with his drums after church...
MAN its so annoying..
 >:( >:(
Time is near until the son of man returns, so he that stays FIRM until the end will be saved........

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »
Well, let the kids mess with your bass and lets see how you feel. 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
Yeah Right "Own"!!..lol. :D ;D
Richard

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »

2. Bass players that don't know they're playing actual bass...they act like they're playing lead guitar by staying on the high end all night...
LAWD HAVE MERCY...THESE CHU'CH FOLK!!!![/b][/u]

I once did a concert where the bass player didn't even play.  He just held the bass at rehearsal, and didn't even show up for the concert.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2007, 06:41:23 AM »
Im not a drummer but I have seen this happen numerous times and it burns me up when it happens to me.

The cleanup crew comes in on Saturday (after this has been addressed) and squeezes the whole set into some corner of the stage so they can vacuum. The drummer shows up Sunday morning thinking that the only thing he has to do is set up his snare and pedal, only to discover that he has to reset the whole kit. Well you ask how come I didnt put it back for him since I got there first, well its because my instrument was at the steps of the baptism pool.  >:(

So disrespectful!
Im too tall to act small.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up