LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who the devil is the M.O.M ?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: Who the devil is the M.O.M ?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 08:03:45 PM »

I just don't find this statement to be true. Especially within the Black church. :-\

I have to agree Jonathan.

This is RARELY if EVER a stipulation needed for the MOM position.  Some churches require MOMs to be musicians, but most are looking for a musically inclined person with leadership presence to take front as the MOM.  I know many musicians who are just tight, but definitely don't read music let alone know theory behind what they played sometimes.  

Maybe I'm just in a different area of the country.....
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »
I have to agree Jonathan.

This is RARELY if EVER a stipulation needed for the MOM position.  Some churches require MOMs to be musicians, but most are looking for a musically inclined person with leadership presence to take front as the MOM.  I know many musicians who are just tight, but definitely don't read music let alone know theory behind what they played sometimes. 

Maybe I'm just in a different area of the country.....

Nah, playa. We're in the same neck of the woods practically, so you KNOW that's NOT it.

It's just a simple fact.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »
<< I just don't find this statement to be true. Especially within the Black church. >>

A minister of music is someone who SUPERVISES the music ministry.  Be it two choirs, an ensemble, praise team, or whatever entails your church.  You may believe it's not a true statement because MOST M.o.M do sit at a Keyboard (whether piano, organ, or clavinova) and PLAY!!!  One of the criterias in MOST churches is for that person in the M.o.M position is to have the ability to read music;  I do know about 5 people in that capacity that can't hit a lick at a Keyboard but can teach a song as if they did.... You would consider them as a Director;   :D

The part in bold is a rather offensive statement. So, you're trying to say that a M.O.M should be able to play keys of some sort in order to hold the position? ::)

What about the drums?

What about the saxophone?

What about the guitar or bass?

What about the vocalist?

Why do they have to be put into 'different' categories just because they can't hit a 'lick' on the piano?

While I realize you were trying to be facetious, the joke fell flat because TOO many folks in chu'ch truly feel that way. :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Sannysan1908

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 09:10:07 PM »

The part in bold is a rather offensive statement. So, you're trying to say that a M.O.M should be able to play keys of some sort in order to hold the position? ::)

?/?  NO That's NOT what I"m SAYING AT ALL --- As a matter of FACT -- a Minister of Music I work with is a DRUMMER -- I know a Minister of Music that is a Singer ---  another M O M is a trumpeteer.   These 3 people - People I know personally, cannot sit down at a piano and play.  But all of them can read music.   

NOW....Unless they are members of that particular congregation,  MOST church folks or visitors, outsiders  would consider those 3 people as directors because they (outsiders) think that MOMs must sit at the Piano!!

My statement was one of the criterias of being a Minister of Music SHOULD be the ability to READ music --- with that ability,  he/she is able to help the music flow or to help that fellow musician that may need that little boast with Theory or Technic.  I was also saying in an earlier statment that ALL MOMs are NOT keyboardists.  Maybe I'm in a different part of the country   -- I'm NOT here to offend anyone's integrity nor opinion - and  like anything else I take your statement with grace.  --   just as someone said earlier, MOM is really a Man-Made title.... what may be allowed at your church -- may not work at another.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up