Poll

Which would rather have?

Ken Smith
19 (38.8%)
MTD (Michael Tobias Design)
30 (61.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Smith VS MTD  (Read 15733 times)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Smith VS MTD
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 02:17:57 PM »
I will say MTD's also have great sounding B's. The one Hubert Eaves (Erikah Badu) played on her live album had a thunderous low end!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
to answer the debated question who, except for really Darrell Freeman and Dewayne Wright is really playing ken smith basses. they have a good sound are not anything to laugh at but MTD/TOBIAS and Fender have the bulk of the Gospel Market

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 05:01:47 PM »
to answer the debated question who, except for really Darrell Freeman and Dewayne Wright is really playing ken smith basses. they have a good sound are not anything to laugh at but MTD/TOBIAS and Fender have the bulk of the Gospel Market

but why is that? 

Because someone gets a favorite player and they see them playing a bass and then they thing that's the flagship of all basses.

The thing with these bass' are there name, but rather the build quality and the customer service you get with the bass.

Everyone SHOULD know that you the sound is in the fingers, not in the bass or electronics.  They're just tools you use to help you achieve your sound.

I think people are too caught up on "{insert name here}" plays this bass, so it's the only good bass out there.

If you can't play on a cheap bass chances are you aren't going to play any better on a mtd or whatever other brand.  Chances are you'll probably sound even WORSE because those basses don't cover up technique mistakes like some of pooere build quality might.

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »
but why is that? 

Because someone gets a favorite player and they see them playing a bass and then they thing that's the flagship of all basses.

The thing with these bass' are there name, but rather the build quality and the customer service you get with the bass.

Everyone SHOULD know that you the sound is in the fingers, not in the bass or electronics.  They're just tools you use to help you achieve your sound.

I think people are too caught up on "{insert name here}" plays this bass, so it's the only good bass out there.

If you can't play on a cheap bass chances are you aren't going to play any better on a mtd or whatever other brand.  Chances are you'll probably sound even WORSE because those basses don't cover up technique mistakes like some of pooere build quality might.

i was referring to pro-circuit gospel bass players who can pretty much get what they want

Offline Mopreme75

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »
i havent been playing forever but i just love that ken smith sound(Darrell freeman to be exact) i always love that sound especially when Mo fitz used to play one,btw what exactly would b the name for that sound?? or is it just ken smith lol.
"Livin Off Tha Bass"

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 12:22:50 AM »
the sound is called a "very mid present bass"...lol..

Turn your mids up and dig in and you can get close to the tone.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Mopreme75

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 12:05:12 PM »
the sound is called a "very mid present bass"...lol..

Turn your mids up and dig in and you can get close to the tone.
Aaaaaawww, will do, I just got a bart pre-amp, i'll play around with the mids
and see what i can get, till i get enough cash for a Ken Smith lol.
"Livin Off Tha Bass"

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »

Doc, I don't think that is accurate! I think I will research this!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »
but why is that? 

Right on.  Its diminishing returns, as it goes, IMO.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a USA MTD one day. ;D

and another one re: bumping the mids, panning to the bridge pickup, and digging in.
Eph 5:15-20

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »

I know Tommy Brown-Gospel Bassist plays a 6 string Ken Smith...Also Bill Dickens plays a Ken Smith along with the million other basses he has.
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline jazzcad

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »
I've not played a MTD but I do have a Ken Smith and its soomth as butter!!!!!

Jazz

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »
Uh oh, looks like Ken is catching up with Michael! :)
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 05:27:20 PM »
you know if you watch the Isreal Alive in South Africa you'll see a nice looking Ken Smith but you'll also notice that Terrence Palmer only plays his Tobias Bass for the whole recording

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
Come on now, that's like comparing apples and oranges! If you are a working bassist you should have one of each plus a Fender Jazz in your collection..They each have their place and other then the Jazz cant be used on everything.

I plan on adding a Fender Jazz to my collection as well as soon as I free up some extra cash.  Gotta have the Fender Jazz.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »
Between the two,  have to go with the MTD. Just listening to players like Gouche, Stockton, they both have great tone. I really haven't heard a Ken Smith that blew me away, especially for that kind of money. Now Joel Smith is endorsing MTD's.Check out Joel Smith's youtube video, the brotha is killin & his tone is nice. I would appreciate it again if someone would post it. it's called "Joel Smith on bass taking a solo bassman Mtd 4 life". Thanks in advanced. One day I'll learn how  to post them myself. I'm not really computer savvy.   

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 02:14:03 AM »
you know if you watch the Isreal Alive in South Africa you'll see a nice looking Ken Smith but you'll also notice that Terrence Palmer only plays his Tobias Bass for the whole recording

Tobias (vintage), not the MTD which is the new line!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 07:40:16 AM »
Wish there was a 3rd option on the poll.  "Coin".  Then I could flip one and provide an answer.  I've played both and would have a hard time choosing between the two.  Yes they are DIFFERENT but both VERY NICE and either could serve me well in church.  Actually if you peep into some of the mega churches in the Detroit area, you'd think Ken Smith was walking around door-to-door going "Need a bass? Need a bass?"

Having said that, there are four brands that I would choose above both of them.

• Alembic
  • Lakland
  • Roscoe
  • Sadowski

Other than Sadowski, I own or have owned each and can vouch for them TOTALLY.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
Tobias (vintage), not the MTD which is the new line!

same quality and sounding instrument built by the same guy

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
Come on now, that's like comparing apples and oranges! If you are a working bassist you should have one of each plus a Fender Jazz in your collection..They each have their place and other then the Jazz cant be used on everything.
After owning both basses @ one time ( Smith & MTD ) or another it reiterated to myself why I went back to playing Jazz basses,because the Jazz bass could be used in any style of music and I never had a problem of sitting well in the mix. I can't honestly say that about those other 2, however I do miss my PreGibson Tobias Classic V.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
I'll take one of these please. I love the sound of single coil pickups. I don't think I've seen an MTD with SC's but if they did build one I'd have to reconsider.

Actually he did in the late 90's and early 00-03. It was his Check  Republic MTD Grendel basses which actually were very good and  if you want to look even further Modulus still makes the Genesis bass which is a Mike Tobias Design bass that you can order it with  Single coils or Soapbars
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up