Poll

Which would rather have?

Ken Smith
19 (38.8%)
MTD (Michael Tobias Design)
30 (61.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smith VS MTD  (Read 15726 times)

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

Re: Smith VS MTD
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2007, 07:46:52 PM »
The WT 550 has no problems providing the power and head room I required to let the audience know that I'm in the room, both cabs are 8 ohms which I run in parallel series which drops me down to 4 ohms and puts out 500 watts. Remember it's not always upgrading to a more powerful amp that gives you the sound you require it can be as simple as adding an additional cab.   ::)
Main5playah

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »
True, I was just curious cuz I see a lot of people use the 800 with the 410xlt. That's what I have and I've never seen the 410 and 115 pushed by the 550.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2007, 11:08:16 PM »
As a Eden owner I'm sure you are well aware of what happens when you add an additional cab to you 800, depending on whether you run in series or parallel either way your going to increase the amount of power out put. I love the way the Eden parametric EQ enhances the tones across the spectrum, and believe me it took me a while to cross over to Eden as I was an avid Ampeg endorser for years. My previous rig was a Ampeg SVT all tube 300 watt head along with the B2RE bass head supported by a SVT 810 cab ran in stereo with an 410HLF cab.   :o
Main5playah

Offline mellogroove

• LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2007, 02:45:08 PM »
I  Think overall  The mtds are a better sounding bass than the ken Smith bass.  They both have their own  unique sound. I found out the hard way.  I called Basscentral and asked about both basses and the first thing he asked me was what style of music do you play.. I told him gospel jazz funk.. than he told me most of the gospel bass  players  like the ken smith basses.. so i bought one.  Beautiful bass  but the sound , i was not so impresed  but had a nice clear tone.  Ive owned 2 Ken smith  basses . A 5 string bsreg And a 6 string  bsreg...   I traded my 6 string for a new mtd 635.  Big difference in sound..  I will Stick  with mtd...   love it....   Not taking anything away from Ken smith Basses.  It would be nice to Have Both if you can. And a fender jazz delux...............

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
Welcome to the board.... Mellogroove!

Offline Bassyboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2008, 05:17:01 AM »
Many people say MTDS are just better than ken smith But why do I see more people playing KS other than MTDS which more people thinks is better...I think that it is a good comp for the both..A few months ago I saw that MTDS had the lead and smith had no chance...But now smith is catching up...Maybe people are having second thoughts about this... :)
Time is near until the son of man returns, so he that stays FIRM until the end will be saved........

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
An MTD can sound like a Smith, but a Smith can't sound like an MTD.

God bless ;)

Offline Bassyboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 02:03:22 AM »
Thanks for that..Yo Flat..Youre a mod for gospelchops right..But why cant I become a member..I know that you have to be approved by the admin first and Ive been waiting along time for that.... ?/?
Time is near until the son of man returns, so he that stays FIRM until the end will be saved........

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »
^^^pm sent^^^

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »
An MTD can sound like a Smith, but a Smith can't sound like an MTD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMxkSIYCPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCj4TrrLOSQ

God bless ;)

In actuality it is the personality of the player to a great extent that really makes the Bass, true a low end SR Ibanez cannot produce the tone of a Smith or MTD due to electronics, woods etc but yet still I feel we place to much emphasis on the instrument and not on the skill of the musician playing it.
Main5playah

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
In actuality it is the personality of the player to a great extent that really makes the Bass, true a low end SR Ibanez cannot produce the tone of a Smith or MTD due to electronics, woods etc but yet still I feel we place to much emphasis on the instrument and not on the skill of the musician playing it.
I agree.  A skilled player can make a Squire sound like a Ken Smith.  And an unskilled player can do the opposite.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up