LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussing the WORD  (Read 1059 times)

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

Discussing the WORD
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:59:59 PM »
how many incorporate the Word into your rehearsals??  or do you do nothing but sing all 90 minutes of rehearsal?
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Discussing the WORD
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:24:41 AM »
Duhh!

Sing all 90 minutes!

....jk.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:53:30 AM »
We try to sing most of the time since its just for and hour or so. We have Bible study the next night so we can discuss the Word then.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »
Because we were a college choir, we incorporated a small Bible study in our rehearsals.  They have now gotten out of hand where the Bible study has become just about the same amount of time as rehearsing songs.  Attendance has massively dropped due to this (amongst other issues) and I have tried to discuss this with the board. 

Nothing has yet to be done about the situation. :-\
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:02:25 PM »
Because we were a college choir, we incorporated a small Bible study in our rehearsals.  They have now gotten out of hand where the Bible study has become just about the same amount of time as rehearsing songs.  Attendance has massively dropped due to this (amongst other issues) and I have tried to discuss this with the board. 

Nothing has yet to be done about the situation. :-\

We had the same problem in my college choir, VT.  We actually were able to birth a completely separate ministry out of the choir because the need was so great.  We had started out with a short Bible "discussion"....  It was supposed to be a scripture and a brief (15 min) discussion on that scripture.  But the students, myself included, were all so hungry for more.  Most of them were hours away from their home churches and didn't attend one locally.  So, we agreed to have Sunday evening services (Back to Class - B2C Power Hour) where we'd invite in a guest speaker (or licensed minister from the choir) each week to minister to us, and the choir would sing (which was a good "extra rehearsal" on the sneak... lol).  We had a brief testimony service (the old school way, so folks would have an opportunity to tell what God had done for them), a selection from the choir, a preached word, an altar call and benediction in 60 minutes.

Of course there could be some problems with doing that, and we determined in advance that if any problems arose, we would immediately cease having the services.  We did have a faculty advisor who was a pastor, but he was involved in name only.  There was no "pastor" per se, nor were there any "members" per se.  The choir board determined who would speak that week, who would lead devotion, etc.  Fortunately, no problems ever arose, a few souls were saved, and many, many, many souls were blessed.  Because it was a "come as you are" deal, we had a lot of students who would drop in just to see what was up, hear the music, get a quick word, utter a prayer for a test or whatever (you know how non-Christians think you need to go to church to send up a prayer... lol).  Plus, it helped that the service was in the same building where our cafeteria was housed, so folks would go eat and come down to church.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline takuya

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:48:24 PM »
I know I'm really late to this thread, but...to answer your question, I actually do incorporate the Word into my practices, thanks to VT. :)  I remember reading over his example rehearsal schedule and seeing a time for the Word.

I told myself, when I get my choir, I'm going to do that.  Our practices are about an hour long, so I keep things short to about 3-5 minutes.  I usually share a scripture that relates to the song we are working on.  I see this as a way to plant that Word into their hearts so that it increases their conviction when they sing.  It's like telling them, "This is the reason we sing y'all."

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 06:00:26 AM »
thats kinda like what was goin through my mind.   cuz i think it is important that we understand what we are singing about......and why we sing what we sing.

thanks
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary
Pages: [1]   Go Up