LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Orris, Jr.  (Read 1886 times)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Mike Orris, Jr.
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:04 AM »
Good Morning Drum Forum!  ;D

I went to drop off my nephew at the before school program today, and I saw a flyer that said the city parks and rec is sponsoring a 4 week drum class with Mike Orris, Jr.  He lives here in Reno, I met him at one of the local music stores when he worked there.  I've heard his name in the forum a couple of times, so I hope a few of you know enough about him to give me your opinion. 

The class is for beginner to intermediate and focuses on sight reading (something I need to learn), time signatures, and so on.  It includes 4 Saturdays, an hour and a half each session, practice pad and sticks (I could skip that to save $$ and use my own), total cost = 130.00.  From what I know of Mike, he seems like a real stand up guy with a real humble personality, I definitely can appreciate that from someone of his caliber.

What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  I think I could learn a lot, I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to pay to re-hash stuff I already know, but at the same time, I never really learned stuff the right way, and maybe this is an opportunity to do that. 

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: Mike Orris, Jr.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:49:53 PM »
What's your level of drum knowledge?

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:30:23 PM »
What's your level of drum knowledge?
I'd say early intermediate.  As far as reading and technique... i never learned stuff the right way, you know?  And I think it's halting my progress at this point. 

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:49 PM »
Mike won the Modern Drummer Undiscovered Drummer contest a few years back.  He killed then... and is killing now.  He teaches too.

This is a clip of him playing more recently.

This is one of his students.  Notice that the kid is EIGHT and playing in 5/4!  Be jealous...

Needless to say, I'd be in attendance if I could.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:42:19 PM »
This man is A MONSTER IN REAL LIFE! ;D :D
Richard

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:55:28 AM »
nice... real nice
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »
Mike won the Modern Drummer Undiscovered Drummer contest a few years back.  He killed then... and is killing now.  He teaches too.

This is a clip of him playing more recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH22hOCKxTI

This is one of his students.  Notice that the kid is EIGHT and playing in 5/4!  Be jealous...

Needless to say, I'd be in attendance if I could.
Thanks, Juse!  I'ma do everything I can to go.  I may have to raise an offering, so be on the look out, LOL!!! j/k

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
Good Morning Drum Forum!  ;D

I went to drop off my nephew at the before school program today, and I saw a flyer that said the city parks and rec is sponsoring a 4 week drum class with Mike Orris, Jr.  He lives here in Reno, I met him at one of the local music stores when he worked there.  I've heard his name in the forum a couple of times, so I hope a few of you know enough about him to give me your opinion. 

The class is for beginner to intermediate and focuses on sight reading (something I need to learn), time signatures, and so on.  It includes 4 Saturdays, an hour and a half each session, practice pad and sticks (I could skip that to save $$ and use my own), total cost = 130.00.  From what I know of Mike, he seems like a real stand up guy with a real humble personality, I definitely can appreciate that from someone of his caliber.

What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  I think I could learn a lot, I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to pay to re-hash stuff I already know, but at the same time, I never really learned stuff the right way, and maybe this is an opportunity to do that. 

This is a great deal! Go for it!
Mike was he winner for the Modern drummer 18 and under world wide competition in 2003 and made it on the Festival DVD. He knows his stuff. make a list of questions to ask. base them closely to the material he is teaching. this will help you get the most out of your attendance.

example: play a lick, phrase and ask how do you count it ? or what the notation is ?
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

drummin4JC

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »
If it were i, i would not miss that oppurtunity.... for various reasons....

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:35 AM »
This is a great deal! Go for it!
Mike was he winner for the Modern drummer 18 and under world wide competition in 2003 and made it on the Festival DVD. He knows his stuff. make a list of questions to ask. base them closely to the material he is teaching. this will help you get the most out of your attendance.

example: play a lick, phrase and ask how do you count it ? or what the notation is ?
Good stuff.  Thank you, sir.  I think I may tell our church drummer about this, too.  He's pretty good, but lacks formal training as well.  Seems like a great opportunity, maybe the church will kick in half or something.

Offline drmmrfolife

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »
GO FOR IT!  I heard Mike messin' around on the drums at Guitar Center in Reno.  He was playing a double bass groove in multi time signatures.  It was 'tight ta def'......
Pages: [1]   Go Up