LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rule of Five  (Read 2097 times)

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

The Rule of Five
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
I was listening to John Maxwell on TBN the other night and he said a lot of things about how to achieve your dreams. One of the things he mentioned was the rule of five. This is where you take the Five most important things needed to reach your goal and do them EVERY DAY!

Since I (and several others on this site) have dreams to become a career musician I thoght I'd list the top five things that I'm going to start doing on the daily! Feel free to add to the list and make suggestions!

Practice: Pretty self explanitory

Listen: To all types of music, Even the style that I don't really dig...

Network: Surround yourself and communicate with people of like minds!

Play music: It's vital to learn how to play wiith others and to work as a unit.

Study: Learn as much as you can whether it be theory and technique, looking up your favorite drummers or listening to seasoned vets who've been there and done that.....
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: The Rule of Five
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
TBN (that is worthy of another thread in and of itself)......well, it's probably a good idea, I guess, but it's not a magical formula that will guarantee success.  There are other good practices that you apply to whatever you want to achieve that may increase your chances of attaining that goal but nothing is guaranteed.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »
TBN (that is worthy of another thread in and of itself)......well, it's probably a good idea, I guess, but it's not a magical formula that will guarantee success.  There are other good practices that you apply to whatever you want to achieve that may increase your chances of attaining that goal but nothing is guaranteed.

I agree, nothing is guaranteed. I'm big on practical ways of working toward a goal and this just struck me as a pretty good idea. If you've found something thats proved to be effective I'd love to hear about it!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:08 AM »
...John C. Maxwell is a bad bad man!  I just got put on to him by Sabe.  He has a lot of things that I will be applying to my life.  I thank God for Mr. Maxwell and his teachings...
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »
...John C. Maxwell is a bad bad man!  I just got put on to him by Sabe.  He has a lot of things that I will be applying to my life.  I thank God for Mr. Maxwell and his teachings...

Same here bro!!!

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »
that "play music" one is important. I know alot of musicians who could use the extra gigs, but will not pick up thier instrument unless they know they are getting MONEY. Especially in this economy you can't think people are just going to throw money at you all the time.......Sitting at home waiting on paid gigs all the time gets you nowhere. Granted you can't do the free stuff 24/7, but you have to get out and play or else your gift is wasted and will dry up like a raisin in the sun.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:00:29 PM »
I was listening to John Maxwell on TBN the other night and he said a lot of things about how to achieve your dreams. One of the things he mentioned was the rule of five. This is where you take the Five most important things needed to reach your goal and do them EVERY DAY!

Since I (and several others on this site) have dreams to become a career musician I thoght I'd list the top five things that I'm going to start doing on the daily! Feel free to add to the list and make suggestions!

Practice: Pretty self explanitory

Listen: To all types of music, Even the style that I don't really dig...

Network: Surround yourself and communicate with people of like minds!

Play music: It's vital to learn how to play wiith others and to work as a unit.

Study: Learn as much as you can whether it be theory and technique, looking up your favorite drummers or listening to seasoned vets who've been there and done that.....

Nice list but STUDY should be at the top of the list because that lays the foundation for wisdom, correction and mastery. Because if practice the wrong things or even the right things in the wrong way you master the wrong things and hinder your own success.

Timely post doc! build on it...
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:45:34 AM »
Nice list but STUDY should be at the top of the list because that lays the foundation for wisdom, correction and mastery. Because if practice the wrong things or even the right things in the wrong way you master the wrong things and hinder your own success.

Timely post doc! build on it...

This is true!!! Thanks!

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:18:05 PM »
Nice idea and nice list man!

ima steal it  ;D

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
Nice idea and nice list man!

ima steal it  ;D

LoL! Steal away bro!!

Offline gjesus

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
Such a short, but good list. Though if ya had to number them from most to least important to achieve sucess(though all are necessary), how would it go?

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
Such a short, but good list. Though if ya had to number them from most to least important to achieve sucess(though all are necessary), how would it go?

I'd say listen/study would be first. I grouped them together because listening is a form of studying. Practice would be next folowed by playing music and networking.

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »
Simple but complex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up