LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS FOR CHURCH ANNIVERSARY  (Read 39638 times)

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

SUGGESTIONS FOR CHURCH ANNIVERSARY
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »
Hi LGM Family,

We are getting ready for our church anniversary.  Does anyone have any suggestions for songs.  I am thinking of going back to some old school songs, such as "When God Is In The Building" or something on that lines.  Can you offer me some suggestions?

Thanks

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR CHURCH ANNIVERSARY
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »
I don't know if you'll like these for a church anniversary or not but I'll just list a few older songs that I love. I hope this helps a little. God bless and congratulations!! What's to come is better than what's been!!

1. I sing because I'm happy by Georgia Mass chior or Kirk Franklin and the Family
2. Leaning by Timothy Wright
3. I don't need no rocks by Late Rev. James Moore
4. Hold up the light-New Jersey Mass Chior
5. What God has for me is for me-Miami Mass Chior (I think)
6. We've come this far by faith
7. Thank you Lord (for all you've done for me) Walter Hawkins
8. I'd rather have Jesus by DFW mass chior
9. Your grace and mercy by Miss Mass and Frank Williams
10. Order my steps GMWA (I think)
11. Your steps are ordered by Fred Hammond
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »
Hi LGM Family,

We are getting ready for our church anniversary.  Does anyone have any suggestions for songs.  I am thinking of going back to some old school songs, such as "When God Is In The Building" or something on that lines.  Can you offer me some suggestions?

Thanks

What's the anniversary theme?  How many songs are you doing?  Which year anniversary is this?
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
What's the anniversary theme?  How many songs are you doing?  Which year anniversary is this?

They have not told me what the theme is.  They usually leave the number of songs up to me.  I think that I will probably do 2, 3 at the most.  We are celebrating our 36th year I believe.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:44:37 PM »
They have not told me what the theme is.  They usually leave the number of songs up to me.  I think that I will probably do 2, 3 at the most.  We are celebrating our 36th year I believe.

I would do something from the 70s, which would represent the time period that your church was birthed.

Then, I would do something (perhaps from the 80s or 90s) in tribute to your pastor, whether a favorite song of his, or something he used to dig or request a lot...

Lastly, I would do something modern (as in, from 2007).

For a 70s song, I would go with the Hawkins... they put out some great stuff back then, a wealth of songs.

For something modern, I would go with John P. Kee, Hezekiah, or Ricky Dillard, because they put out great choir music.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline jdholliday

• LGM Member
    • spreading the word worship center

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
I would do something from the 70s, which would represent the time period that your church was birthed.

Then, I would do something (perhaps from the 80s or 90s) in tribute to your pastor, whether a favorite song of his, or something he used to dig or request a lot...

Lastly, I would do something modern (as in, from 2007).

For a 70s song, I would go with the Hawkins... they put out some great stuff back then, a wealth of songs.

For something modern, I would go with John P. Kee, Hezekiah, or Ricky Dillard, because they put out great choir music.
Larue don't start with the Ricky Dillard stuff again. ;D

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
Larue don't start with the Ricky Dillard stuff again. ;D

LOL!!!  Well, I would've said James Hall, but I don't know how talented her choir is... lol.  ;)

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:12 PM »
I can't remember the exact name, but a lady at my church song "Looking back" for our Anniversary and it was a sure pew-flipper. It goes:

Looking back...
Over my liiife.
I can see...
How far I've come

See I've had..
Some cloudy daaays...
But the Lord..
Has made a way...

And so on.  8)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:13:28 PM »
I can't remember the exact name, but a lady at my church song "Looking back" for our Anniversary and it was a sure pew-flipper. It goes:

Looking back...
Over my liiife.
I can see...
How far I've come

See I've had..
Some cloudy daaays...
But the Lord..
Has made a way...

And so on.  8)

I don't know the song, but the lyrics sure sound appropriate.  ;)

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »
I can suggest what NOT to sing.  Don't sing, "We've come this far by faith".  It's not a bad song, but it seems like it's either the theme or at least one of the selections for nearly every anniversary I've been to (particularly at the churches with "older" congregations)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
We just had our Pastor and Wife Anniversary and one of our songs was "For Every Mountain" (I guess that's the title)

We all so sang "All to You"  off of GMWA the Tampa Experience (I think that's it, lol, I'm obviously not good with names)

Then we sang "Grace" off of TD Jakes' latest -- that one was more because it lined up with our theme.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 03:21:36 PM »
For Every Mountain is a good one.  I love that song, and it seems appropriate for an anniversary.

Another one that just came to mind after reading TJ's post is "Testimony."  Don't ask me who sings it, but it's "As I look back over my life/ And I think things o-over/ I can truly say/ That I've been blessed/ I've got a testimony...."

That song does wonders in a baptist church... lol.

Offline jdholliday

• LGM Member
    • spreading the word worship center

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »
For Every Mountain is a good one.  I love that song, and it seems appropriate for an anniversary.

Another one that just came to mind after reading TJ's post is "Testimony."  Don't ask me who sings it, but it's "As I look back over my life/ And I think things o-over/ I can truly say/ That I've been blessed/ I've got a testimony...."

Clay Evans & Aarc Mass Choir

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »
I can suggest what NOT to sing.  Don't sing, "We've come this far by faith".  It's not a bad song, but it seems like it's either the theme or at least one of the selections for nearly every anniversary I've been to (particularly at the churches with "older" congregations)

Yea, we have really done that song to death.

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »

We also just did For Every Mountain.  It was wonderful.  The soloist sang out of her shoes. 

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
We also just did For Every Mountain.  It was wonderful.  The soloist sang out of her shoes. 
LOL, we had a good lead, too.  The song was right up her alley, she had the perfect voice for it. 

changedman

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 09:48:45 PM »
For our 30th Anniversary (in two weeks...the Sunday AFTER the Oldies Concert), we are doing:

1) the ANTHEM: O GIVE THANKS UNTO THE LORD (COGIC/Tennesse Fourth)

2) "I Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now" (Shirley Caesar)

3) "Look Where He Brought Me From" (COGIC - it's actually the theme for the day)

4) "Battlefield" (Norman Hutchins)

AND THEN.....FOR THE LAST AND FINAL TIME

5) "Great Things" (by some bald head directing dude named Herman somebody outta Memphis)

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
For our 30th Anniversary (in two weeks...the Sunday AFTER the Oldies Concert), we are doing:

3) "Look Where He Brought Me From" (COGIC - it's actually the theme for the day)

5) "Great Things" (by some bald head directing dude named Herman somebody outta Memphis)

We did Battlefield for our Choir Anniversary last year, and come to think of it, the soloist has not been seen for a while.  When we did the song, she told me that I wasn't playing the song right.  It did not sound like the CD.  I tried to explain to her that nothing I play will ever sound like the CD.  I play by ear and also read music.  She kept insisting that I was not playing the song correctly.  I might try O Give Thanks.

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »

COSIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »

As in good rocking beat, broght me out of darkness, into the marvelous light, look where He brought me from.

Glad He brought me out
So glad He brought me out

Man that use to be a pew flipper back in the day for us, and when I had moved away and went back home one sunday, and somebody had the nerve to request that song and for me to come up and direct it, that was a real rap!!!

If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up