LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Spiritual Gift  (Read 3790 times)

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

A Spiritual Gift
« on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »
Do you or do you know someone that has been blessed with the Gift of Discernment?

If yes, will you please share your experiences and your knowledge on this subject?

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: A Spiritual Gift
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:43:44 AM »
My mom.  And my former pastor.

Coincidentally, I was just talking to a friend about how I don't really see that gift very active anymore these days, but that's a whole 'notha thread.  :-\
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
I really don't know HOW to define what I do, nor do I know what to call it.  I'm gonna bke asking quite a frew quss-tuhns on this one.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »

Coincidentally, I was just talking to a friend about how I don't really see that gift very active anymore these days, but that's a whole 'notha thread.  :-\

Please share your experiences and your knowledge on this subject.  I agree that you don’t see this gift active much now these days. 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
Please share your experiences and your knowledge on this subject.  I agree that you don’t see this gift active much now these days. 

Umm...WE'S waitin' LaLeave'em Hangin'Rue.   >:(

;)

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »
Do you or do you know someone that has been blessed with the Gift of Discernment?
Yes

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
Yes

Will you share experiences and knowledge that you have on this subject? :)

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »
Will you share experiences and knowledge that you have on this subject? :)
I'm always willing to share insights.  I'll shoot you a PM.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Yes me and I'm pretty sure Southern Belle has the gift too.

I use my gift as the Spirit leds. I have a supernatural ability of seeing people for who they really are. Even through the faceless medium of internet, I can sense people’s motives and am usually right. I can tell when a person is operating under the authority of God, or whether that person is on a personal agenda operating under the influence of evil forces. Also, I can see the spiritual condition of churches or people without them saying a word to me.

Unlike some of the other spiritual gifts, i.e. teaching, administration, etc. , discernment (and also healing) is something that is moreso controlled by the Spirit. In other words, teachers teach if they want to, people lead if they want to.....I don't get to decide if I want to discern folk----it just happens. It's funny too---people with the gift of discernment can usually point out another who has that gift.

For instance, I was in my husband's office and another Pasotr was there. We were talking about a particular incident when that Pastor told me "I knew you saw right through that."  When I asked him how did he know,, he said "I know you have the gift of discernment". After he left, I asked my husband if he had told that Pastor of my gift and my husband said no, the Pastor had seen it in me. The discerner had discerned another discerner.  :D

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:48:02 PM »

I use my gift as the Spirit leds. I have a supernatural ability of seeing people for who they really are. Even through the faceless medium of internet, I can sense people’s motives and am usually right. I can tell when a person is operating under the authority of God, or whether that person is on a personal agenda operating under the influence of evil forces. Also, I can see the spiritual condition of churches or people without them saying a word to me.

Unlike some of the other spiritual gifts, i.e. teaching, administration, etc. , discernment (and also healing) is something that is moreso controlled by the Spirit. In other words, teachers teach if they want to, people lead if they want to.....I don't get to decide if I want to discern folk----it just happens. It's funny too---people with the gift of discernment can usually point out another who has that gift.

For instance, I was in my husband's office and another Pasotr was there. We were talking about a particular incident when that Pastor told me "I knew you saw right through that."  When I asked him how did he know,, he said "I know you have the gift of discernment". After he left, I asked my husband if he had told that Pastor of my gift and my husband said no, the Pastor had seen it in me. The discerner had discerned another discerner.  :D

Thank you for sharing this information.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm always willing to share insights.  I'll shoot you a PM.

Umm...HELLURR!!!!   >:(

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »

Ok, that's what I was trying to convey.  The words escaped me though.

Offline NJTheBishopAnderson

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Da Bishop in a different "light"...
    • Facebook Page

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:56:28 PM »

Thats only because discernment isn't seen as "discernment" anymore.  Now when you call folk out on stuff, they say you're judging them. Phsst! PLEASE!! You just got divinely busted and now ya mad... go SADDOWN somewhere!!
"RAPHAAAAAA!!!! - The LORD that healeth thee!"

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »
Thats only because discernment isn't seen as "discernment" anymore.  Now when you call folk out on stuff, they say you judging them. Phsst! PLEASE!! You just got divinely busted and now ya mad... go SADDOWN somewhere!!

So, is it something you know you have?  Is it something you can't "muzzle"?   ?/? ?/?

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »
Thats only because discernment isn't seen as "discernment" anymore.  Now when you call folk out on stuff, they say you judging them. Phsst! PLEASE!! You just got divinely busted and now ya mad... go SADDOWN somewhere!!

Indeed.

People are quick to quote the "Do not judge" scripture without full understanding of what that scripture mean. Usually when a person says "Do not judge me" it means "I'm so wrong".

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
So, is it something you know you have?  Is it something you can't "muzzle"?   ?/? ?/?

I can control whether or not I will say what I have discerned, but the actual discerning I don't control. When I see it I see it.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »
Thats only because discernment isn't seen as "discernment" anymore.  Now when you call folk out on stuff, they say you're judging them. Phsst! PLEASE!! You just got divinely busted and now ya mad... go SADDOWN somewhere!!

Naw, bruh... I think it goes way deeper than that.  (Although I'm not disagreeing with you about how when people get called out, they claim you're judging them).  First, we can't dismiss the fact that SOME people do judge others.  Pointing out wrongdoing is not the same as judging, and to me, it all comes down to the spirit behind your approach.  Too often, people point out wrongdoing with a spirit of pride and haughtiness.  It's self-serving, not helpful.  A lot of folks, sinners included, can discern the difference between someone calling them out in love, to help them, and calling them out to embarass, mock, tease, taunt or ridicule them.  Then, we justify it to ourselves by placing the blame on the sinner, saying that they just didn't want to live right or just didn't like being told the truth or whatever... sometimes, the "caller outer" handled it wrong.  Sometimes the caller outer IS judgmental.  :-\

Not all the time... but sometimes...

That aside, being the born and bred APO that you are, do you really believe that discernment still operates as frequently and as freely as it did when we were coming up back in the day?  I'd be surprised if you said yes.  Frankly, I don't think any of the gifts of the spirit really operate the way they did back then (as frequently, as precisely, as lovingly, as directly, as spiritually...).

I remember a day where you couldn't walk in the church with residue from yesterday because SOMEBODY was going to pull you to the side and minister repentance and grace to you... nowadays, those spirits identify with each other and just start shouting together... I digress...
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 02:47:17 PM »
I can control whether or not I will say what I have discerned, but the actual discerning I don't control. When I see it I see it.

Ok, I THINK I'm getting a better understanding, bkecause that applies to me.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »

Umm...WE'S waitin' LaLeave'em Hangin'Rue.   >:(

;)

Oops... I missed this; sorry.

Sis CM, I don't really have any experience other than what Sister T and LT already shared.  My mom's gift is similar to what Sister T shared.  She can (and even after she backslid and was living in sin, she still had the gift) discern beyond the outward appearance.  For example, she could always tell in the Spirit when a person was spirit-led or flesh-led, even if everyone else was tricked by it.  She could tell the spirit behind people's words and deeds; she could tell if a person was really depressed even if they always pretended to be jovial and happy; she could tell if a person was really deeply hurt even if they unknowingly turned that hurt into anger toward other people.  If people spoke highly of themselves, she could tell whether it was genuine or a cover-up for what was lacking.

She could also discern when a person wasn't living up to their best ability, or was under demonic influence.  She could see decades-old experiences still playing a part in a person's life.  She could see when couples weren't really happy, but were good pretenders.  She once discerned a minister in our church abusing his wife, and no one had ever known about it.  She discerned that my cousin's husband had some sexual issues... and she had never even met this guy.

My mother has a very powerful gift, and that gift made her into the most compassionate person I've ever known.  Whereas most people can look at an annoying person as a mere annoyance, or many people will begin to feel ill will toward a mean person or roll their eyes at a person who brags a lot or whatever... my mom has always been able to look beyond that and see the spiritual root of it, and give them the love they need to overcome it.  I can remember her crying sometimes because she would see things that she didn't want to see.  Sometimes she would cry because she felt that if other people could see what she saw, they wouldn't treat Sis. Susie the way they do, or talk about Bro. Bill the way they do.

It's an interesting gift.  On another note, she also knows when women are pregnant, sometimes even before they know it.   ?/?

My pastor's gift is similar, but since I never lived with him, I only saw him operate in church settings.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »
Oops... I missed this; sorry.

Sis CM, I don't really have any experience other than what Sister T and LT already shared.  My mom's gift is similar to what Sister T shared.  She can (and even after she backslid and was living in sin, she still had the gift) discern beyond the outward appearance.  For example, she could always tell in the Spirit when a person was spirit-led or flesh-led, even if everyone else was tricked by it.  She could tell the spirit behind people's words and deeds; she could tell if a person was really depressed even if they always pretended to be jovial and happy; she could tell if a person was really deeply hurt even if they unknowingly turned that hurt into anger toward other people.  If people spoke highly of themselves, she could tell whether it was genuine or a cover-up for what was lacking.

She could also discern when a person wasn't living up to their best ability, or was under demonic influence.  She could see decades-old experiences still playing a part in a person's life.  She could see when couples weren't really happy, but were good pretenders.  She once discerned a minister in our church abusing his wife, and no one had ever known about it.  She discerned that my cousin's husband had some sexual issues... and she had never even met this guy.

My mother has a very powerful gift, and that gift made her into the most compassionate person I've ever known.  Whereas most people can look at an annoying person as a mere annoyance, or many people will begin to feel ill will toward a mean person or roll their eyes at a person who brags a lot or whatever... my mom has always been able to look beyond that and see the spiritual root of it, and give them the love they need to overcome it.  I can remember her crying sometimes because she would see things that she didn't want to see.  Sometimes she would cry because she felt that if other people could see what she saw, they wouldn't treat Sis. Susie the way they do, or talk about Bro. Bill the way they do.

It's an interesting gift.  On another note, she also knows when women are pregnant, sometimes even before they know it.   ?/?

My pastor's gift is similar, but since I never lived with him, I only saw him operate in church settings.

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up