LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anthony Jackson !!!  (Read 2859 times)

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

Anthony Jackson !!!
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:29:41 PM »
I still fairly new here and I don't know if anybody has mention this cat ( and maybe you have ) but I was just shuffling thru some of my old Chaka Khan, and Eyewitness cd's and a couple of videos I have him on and still I've yet to see anybody play with the type of conviction this brother plays with
DW,I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. and the stuff he's doing with Michel Camilo is outta sight/outta mind

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Anthony Jackson !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »
Anthony Jackson is an incredible talent. He's been around for quite sometime. His first 'hit' was his playing on The O'Jays 'For The Love Of Money'. That is a classic bassline. He does not slap at all. He also plays with a pick! I have a Lee Ritenour DVD that he plays on that's outta this world.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 05:07:18 PM »
Anthony Jackson is an incredible talent. He's been around for quite sometime. His first 'hit' was his playing on The O'Jays 'For The Love Of Money'. That is a classic bassline. He does not slap at all. He also plays with a pick! I have a Lee Ritenour DVD that he plays on that's outta this world.

What's the title of the DVD?

Thanks,
Greg
"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:06:30 PM »
Anthony Jackson is a mean bass player. I think sometimes he's not mentioned when talking about bass players is because, very seldom do you see his picture or name anywhere, because he's not flashy. He's one of those behind the scene cats. But make no mistake about it that cat can play. The average bass player, would pull his hair out trying to figure out some of the basslines this brotha lays down. I know cause, I'm one of those guys. Just a pure genius.  Thanks for adding him to the conversation. In all honesty, you shouldn't be able to talk bass without  mentioning this brotha.   

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
Anthony Jackson is a mean bass player. I think sometimes he's not mentioned when talking about bass players is because, very seldom do you see his picture or name anywhere, because he's not flashy. He's one of those behind the scene cats. But make no mistake about it that cat can play. The average bass player, would pull his hair out trying to figure out some of the basslines this brotha lays down. I know cause, I'm one of those guys. Just a pure genius.  Thanks for adding him to the conversation. In all honesty, you shouldn't be able to talk bass without  mentioning this brotha.   

+1

There seems to be very little talk about bass players who are not flashy. I really appreciate solid, in the pocket, in the groove, type bass players.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »

+1

There seems to be very little talk about bass players who are not flashy. I really appreciate solid, in the pocket, in the groove, type bass players.
Then you will love this brother's playing without a doubt on this DVD. This cat is just a total " Groove Machine to say the least

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 04:45:59 PM »
Then you will love this brother's playing without a doubt on this DVD. (Are you talking about the same DVD(s) DWBass mentioned below)?

This cat is just a total " Groove Machine to say the least

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »

Yes I'm talking those DVD's mention and also if you can find it there's a 1992 Modern Drummer VHS ( which you can now get it on DVD) where  he is in session with a great drummer by the name of Simon Phillips and also you go to youtube and enter his name ( and Lee Ritenour) in the search box,and there are several sessions thats there he's playing on.... and while I'm mentioning Lee Ritenour, there's another  great bassist that's in session with Lee on some of these video captions and that is fellow Ken Smith endorse. Melvin Davis who is doing some outstanding playing with both a 4 string Fender Dlx Jazz Bass, and his signature Melvin Davis 7 string  Ken Smith

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »
Hands5 you are correct, Melvis Davis is a monster on the bass. check him out on youtube, Lee Ritenour's song "Night Rythms". Also check him out on, Forever, For Always, For Luther Volume 2, Along with another great bassist named Larry Kimpel.   

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »
Thanks to both of you. I have Alive in LA (Lee Ritenour) and Melvin Davis is awesome. I got a chance to see Larry Kimpel in concert w/Boney James. I'll be ordering the DVD's soon, and I'll be on the look out for Modern Drummer. There are so many others, I can't name them all!

http://www.melvinleedavis.com/

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »
Hands5 you are correct, Melvis Davis is a monster on the bass. check him out on youtube, Lee Ritenour's song "Night Rythms". Also check him out on, Forever, For Always, For Luther Volume 2, Along with another great bassist named Larry Kimpel.   
Larry is also a good upright bassist as well as electric. He's no doubt as done some outstanding work with Boney James,but he also has done some brilliant playing  with George Duke Live in D.C ( upright/electric) and also on a earlier Will Downing lp I think around 93 or 94.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
Larry Kimpel is a monster player! Scott Ambush is another monster player. Check out the cd he played on by Kim Jordan (Full Circle). A gospel instrumental cd. Very tasteful playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up