LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you Still Transposing?  (Read 7641 times)

Runs_N_12_Keys

Are you Still Transposing?
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »
Levites against Transposing...

Transposing is like pushing a button and instead of you reading what I'm typing in English you will see it in Spanish.

This would give you the impression that I'm bilingual which may or may not impress you.

Then I could push another button and you see what I type in French, German and Japanese leading you to believe that I'm not bilingual at all but I speak SEVERAL languages FLUENTLY... when in all actuality I'm not as gifted as you think. I'm actually too lazy to learn Spanish or even learn all there is to know about English but I don't want YOU to know that...

Musicians can do the same thing with a transpose key on a keyboard. They can play the same note and make it sound 11 different sounds than the REAL sound it's SUPPOSED to make. Making them APPEAR to know more than they truly do... if you put that same musician on a piano or an organ with no transpose key, they are exposed for the fake they truly are... 

By Will Sparrow

Transposing is WRONG!

Stop It!!!!!

L.A.T  4  Life

Learn your Craft!!!

If you are Interested in Becoming apart of this Organazation PM me or hit me up one the Tye Tribbett MB
Tyetribbettworldwide.com   (Click on MB) The Thread is Called
The Shed that Never Ends

We also have Phone Sheds (and Bible Study) every Wednesday at 10 PM EST
Let’s Unite!!!

Offline G Johnson

• LGM Member
  • Music is Honest and Exposed
    • myspace.com/gregjohnsonmusic1

Re: Are you Still Transposing?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
Man i just did a conference... And I dealt with that not to be arrogant but cheating is nothing more than a liar...
worse transposing is hipocrasy... Not to the beginners i understand they are learning. After you mature.. Learn the craft...
You are using help with somethin you dont need help with...

Thanks for posting

Greg

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »
It's tight but it's right!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:02:24 PM »
i am not transposing anymore. I have a friend in my church whose transposes, but he is being encouraged to not use it. I try to play songs on all keys as possible.

Transposing, as stated, is nothing but cheating yourself. You will learn nothing from transposing. That is why i practice playing in different keys that i am not accustomed to.

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »
Haven't transposed in 6 years. Been playing for 7. So what that tell you?? :D
MERCY EN!!

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:59:45 PM »
Man, I want to be like all of yall when I get older!! LOL!!!  AND THATS A REAL RAPP!!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 05:35:02 AM »
tight as times are around here, for some folks, transposing paid for their house, that's what happened. the rest of us playing in 12 keys can't seem to find stable places to play for a certain amount of comfortable money so we can at least buy a meal at golden corral 3 times a week or something. Man you got some playing in 3 keys making $800 +.
I'm not finished playing

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 06:47:57 AM »
When people transpose, why do they have to be hypocrites? If they're truthful about it and "there's no shame in their game", why do they have to be frontin' and lying? Transposing is a personal choice. True, they're short-changing themselve but that's on them.
When I first started learning, I used to transpose until I learned the song in that key. I don't transpose now, but if I did, who would know? Probably half the church doesn't even know what transposing is.
If someone transposes, let him. If he happens to one day find himself at a piano, and someone breaks out in song in a key he doesn't know, it's on him/ it's his fault.

Offline TheReturn

• LGM Member
  • Me In My ZONE!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 07:12:53 AM »
WELL, I'M NOT TRANSPOSING ANYMORE.

THE ONLY TIME I DO IT IS WHEN I'M AT MY HOME CHURCH. THE Eb, AND Gnat BASS PEDALS DON'T WORK SO, I JUST TRANSPOSE UP ONE KEY TO, TRY MY BEST TO ELIMINATE BOTH OF THOSE KEYS. (my church usually sings everything in Eb or Ab)

I GOT EMBARRASSED ONCE FOR TRANSPOSING. SOMONE THAT WAS SINGING A SONG ASKED ME TO BACK HIM UP. BEFORE HE STARTED HE TOLD ME TO GIVE HIM Ab SO I REALLY WAS PLAYING IN Bb. SO THE WHOLE BAND, HIT Ab AND I PLAYED Bb. NO ONE KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON EXCEPT MUSICIANS. IT SUCKED TO BE ME THAT NIGHT. lol

HOLLA
CATRON/TheReturn
TRANSPOSING IS FOR CHEATERS. (thats why i want to quit)

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:06:57 AM »
One of the reasons I stopped transposing was because I would forget to change the key back once the song was over. So on the next song, the praise team would be straining trying to sing.

Offline minofmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The annointing makes the difference!
    • Hill Top Productions, Inc.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:42:52 AM »
i was a tranposer for a while, but then the church i was at bought a organ, and they put me on the organ, so when the minister of music at the time would call out "up 4" i could do that anymore because there was no transpose button on the organ, so i had to learn every song we did in the orginal key plus modulations sometimes, i hated it at first but now i love because it has made me better, im finally comfortable playing in E major  ;D , if you learn the right way you will go farther in your playing. Remember perfect practice makes perfect. if you are transposing you are not perfecting your practice. just my two cents ?/?
May The Work I've Done Speak for Me.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 10:59:28 AM »
Transposing is a learned behavior.  Once u have learned to use it, it's hard to unlearn it.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
I haven't transposed in a few years. However, I still don't play in every key. A, B, E, and G flat are the only keys I can't play in. After 8 years playing, I'm just now learning to play in D flat because my music director (who's been with us for a year now) has encouraged me to start learning that key since we'll probably use it every now and then. It's a struggle because it feels a lot Eb, so I keep wanting to hit chords I'd normally hit in Eb. I would teach myself to play in all the other keys, but like everything else, if you never use it, you lose it. We used to play in D a lot a few years ago, but we've kinda gotten away from that key. It's been so long since I've used it, I've forgotten some of what I learned.

If we ever learn a song and the lead sheet is written in an "odd ball" key (ie: G flat), we'll either lower it to F or raise to G depending on what's more comfortable for the singers.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
It's a struggle because it feels a lot Eb, so I keep wanting to hit chords I'd normally hit in Eb.

Man, that happened to me a lot.  Before I knew it, one hand was playing Db and the other hand was in Eb.  It was a hot mess, lol.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »
Man, that happened to me a lot.  Before I knew it, one hand was playing Db and the other hand was in Eb.  It was a hot mess, lol.

Yep! I hear ya!  ;D  ;D

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 12:34:22 AM »
Those who aren't comfortable in all keys can try this:

Find a small church that really, really needs a keyboardist.  This type of church needs to have one of those old mothers who always strikes up a throw back right after devotion or something... or a praise team that sings in any and every key... or tone-deaf soloists.  Now, the church may not pay much (if at all), but you'll be thrown into a situation where you're going to have to follow them and play in whatever key they start singing in.

First: this will give you the opportunity to test out your skills in a smaller, less demanding environment.  Trying to test out your skills in playing in all 12 keys at your local mega church isn't the best idea.  You'll be too concerned about the crowd and the pressure to really focus.

Second: you won't have to worry too much about making mistakes.  Why?  Because sometimes these churches need a keyboardist so bad, they aren't going to be concerned if you hit a couple wrong chords here or there.  Even if they don't need a keyboardist bad, sometimes they just don't care.  As long as they're jammin' to some music, they'll be satisfied.

Third: the more you play there and hash out your weaknesses, the more your confidence will build.  And, sometimes these churches are more liberal, so you can jam and jam and jam all day long.

I do this now.  The church I play at most Sundays has an average attendance of 15-25.. maybe 30.  They are LIBERAL and they've got a kickin C-3 (it's a little beat up and missing a key but it still jams).  So, I can play most whatever as long as they like it (and they usually like most of it).  They sing everything from old southern traditional jams to stuff by Israel.  The thing is that their praise team and choir aren't any good at keeping notes or keys, so 98% of the time, they start the song and I follow them.  That means they could end up in F#, A, B or E at any moment.  It has incredibly helped me become more comfortable in all keys.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 01:47:35 AM »
tight as times are around here, for some folks, transposing paid for their house, that's what happened. the rest of us playing in 12 keys can't seem to find stable places to play for a certain amount of comfortable money so we can at least buy a meal at golden corral 3 times a week or something. Man you got some playing in 3 keys making $800 +.
You're absolutely right about this.  ;)

I am not fully able to play in every key yet and it has been extremely hard to break the transposing "learned behavior" but I am on my way to success. I make no excuses for transposing in any case but I admit that its bailed me out of jams because I'm not fluent in all keys yet :-[. When I practice I try to play atleast one song in every key. I am working on a simple song like "Thank you Lord" and I modulate the song. YOu may not be able to instantly be able to play in every key but as long as you are trying to learn, Don't Feel Bad!!! Trying to remember everything in the middle of a service when you've not been playing long can be very challenging BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!!! So I encourage everyone to do the best you can to not transpose but don't fall apart if you have to use it every now and then to get you on your way, especially when you play for a church NOW. Feel free to stone me if you'd like for saying this but I'm not going to lie it is a real struggle for me but thank GOD that perfect practice is starting to make perfect. I just really found out how to practice correctly....all of this time I was doing it all totally wrong. :-\
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »
Thank you first of all for exposing the truth about transpose.  We just had a guest church and their choir come up last week and the first thing their musician asked if we had transpose on the Clavinova!  I'm like WOOOOOOW!  I don't know how it is for some but I tried it on the Super X-B3 and I couldn't do it.  Probably because I know placement.  I'm not judging those who do use it but I hope that they will come out of that and learn to play in EVERY key!  There will be a time where you will be in a church and all they have is an old piano and there's NO transpose on that!  Keep that in mind!
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 07:19:41 PM »
... and one thing they'll keep in mind is if they are leaving one church to be employed at another, they WILL check on instruments 1st before they ask how many choirs are present, are they looking for minister of music, or even how much they're paying. Not judging either. We just see them hitting the transpose button. Somehow to the chairman and others, that looks right. So they are hired on the spot even. What's that about ?  it's like " is the transpose button present ? OK I'm ready to work then.. and guarantee you happiness". if the electricity goes out, like it did here ( blackout 2003), there's the piano.. with ALL the keys. "OK bad boy, what you gonna do ? what you gonna do when they come for you ?"
I'm not finished playing

lilj332

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 08:39:36 PM »
Those who aren't comfortable in all keys can try this:

Find a small church that really, really needs a keyboardist.  This type of church needs to have one of those old mothers who always strikes up a throw back right after devotion or something... or a praise team that sings in any and every key... or tone-deaf soloists.  Now, the church may not pay much (if at all), but you'll be thrown into a situation where you're going to have to follow them and play in whatever key they start singing in.

yepp yepp, i can relate lol....during the summer i was recommended to a smaller church that really needed an temporary organist.....so i played there, and there were about 40-50 members and they had the old mothers....u kno! [the ones that just get up, start singing, and dont even bother 2 go by the organ to whisper to yah about the song they're gonna singing.]  anyway...i learned how to play in the different keys by following them.....now im back at my own church and i can play in 11/12 keys. i really don't like to transpose on the organ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up