LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you Still Transposing?  (Read 7637 times)

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

Re: Are you Still Transposing?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »
that's what i wanna know....  ?/?

Its actually quite easy..........
Say you only been playin for 2 months, but you can hold it down a lil in C#.  You are familiar with the way C# sounds.  So, you take a key you don know, like A natural and transpose it to C#, that way you're playin in A hearing C#, eventually you take the transpose off and you are good.
Keep It Funky

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »
Say you only been playin for 2 months, but you can hold it down a lil in C#.  You are familiar with the way C# sounds.  So, you take a key you don know, like A natural and transpose it to C#, that way you're playin in A hearing C#, eventually you take the transpose off and you are good.

OK, I see.  But you are using it as a tool to learn a NEW key.  One question though, Did it seem strange at all because you were playing A and hearing C#?  I think for ME it would hinder me more than help.  But again that is just me. Though I do see a benefit in using it this way. 

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »
I didn't use this......I have perfect pitch so I couldn't.  I have friends who have done this.  They didn't really do it so much for learning "how to play" but as to getting comfortable with the key. Its kind of wierd.  They could play basic stuff in the key, as can anyone if they try.  but they wanted to expand their playing into phat chords and stuff so thats how they did it
Keep It Funky

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2007, 04:10:54 PM »

I used to use transpose like this as well.  But, I only used it to check myself to make sure I'm hitting the write notes in an unfamiliar key.  This is a great way to effectively use the T-button to help you learn.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »
One question though, Did it seem strange at all because you were playing A and hearing C#?

It will seem strange at first, but remember C# is C# (or any other note) no matter where it's played on the board.  So, basically it's like playing strictly by ear, but you learning the finger patterns in that key you transposed to.  Does that make sense?

Only the perfect pitch people will go crazy using this method, LOL.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »

Only the perfect pitch people will go crazy using this method, LOL.
I must have perfect pitch then.  Thanks T-Block  ;D
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline TySpeaks

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2008, 09:57:44 AM »
Transposing is bad, but if you are very fluent and comfortable in a certain area then I think sometimes it might be necessary. My favorites in order are: Bb, F, Eb, Ab, and C is okay but it bores me. ( idunno y) If I'm ata church playing and I've never heard the song, then I'd find it easier to figure out the changes in Bb. So i'd transpose. Bb to me is comfortable, not easier, but physically, with my hand size it feels the best. But given time to learn a song, I'd learn it in the written key, I like to hop off the keys and re-vamp a song on the organ. Basically, transpose to me, is for emergency purposes only. But...I know...it's still bad. lol :-[

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
transposing is WRONG it is cheating LEARN YOUR CRAFT many musicians walk around with a big head and only can play in one key and to me if you dont know your basic thoery like scales and basic traid chords then you cant play no matter how could you sound
keyz 4 life

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
transposing is WRONG it is cheating LEARN YOUR CRAFT many musicians walk around with a big head and only can play in one key and to me if you dont know your basic thoery like scales and basic traid chords then you cant play no matter how could you sound
Lol............didn't know you were on here son..................but you givin em the cold hard facts.
Keep It Funky

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
transposing is WRONG it is cheating LEARN YOUR CRAFT ...

The bottom line to this whole transposing thing is it's a personal choice; there's no law against it. Think about it for a minute, maybe the keyboardist doesn't desire to be a "Herbie Hancock" (or whoever). Maybe learning 1 or 2 keys just to get by is fine with them ... leav'em be - to each his own.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
The bottom line to this whole transposing thing is it's a personal choice; there's no law against it. Think about it for a minute, maybe the keyboardist doesn't desire to be a "Herbie Hancock" (or whoever). Maybe learning 1 or 2 keys just to get by is fine with them ... leav'em be - to each his own.

Also true...........but if you gonna do that dont go around like a lot of cats do and think you are the sweetest dude ever.  One of my boys plays in only a flat.  But he is a giggin drummer who does it on the side.  Does he think he his the best thing since sliced bread?  Lol no.  You got cats who only play keyboard (not organ or piano) in Eb and Ab and swear up and down that they can outplay the best of the best.  NOT COOL
Keep It Funky
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up