LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage - Chords and Sample Music File  (Read 12529 times)

DaNatiMaestro

Maiden Voyage - Chords and Sample Music File
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:50:16 PM »
I got a PM from Shadow_ asking for a walkthrough or breakdown of Maiden Voyage By Herbie Hancock.

Hopefully Shadow_ won't mind if I share this with the rest of the family.

Maiden Voyage is a very smooth and modal tune in the form AABA.

Here is the A Section

Am/D  |  | Am/D | |
Cm/F  |  | Cm/F | |

Here is the B Section

Bbm/Eb | | Bbm/Eb | |
C#m   | | C#m | |

This is a very good song to solo over for folks learning to solo because the song only has four chords.

Am/D would be Am over D in bass of course you can make any of the minor chords to minor 7th or minor 9th depending on what you want to do.

I made a quick mp3 of this song so you can hear how it goes.  I'm playing a tenor sax sound for the melody.  The 1st time through I play the melody straight then I solo over it the 2nd time.

Here are some ideas for your soloing over these chords.  I would suggest using a scale/chord combination and create melodic phrases with the notes of that scale.

Am/D - use the A dorian scale A,B,C,D,E,F#,G,A (G major scale starting on the 2)
Cm/F - use the C dorian scale C,D,Eb,F,G,A,Bb,C (Bb major scale starting on the 2)
Bbm/Eb - use the Bb dorian scale Bb,C,Db,Eb,F,G,Ab,Bb (Ab major scale starting on the 2)
C#m - use the C# dorian scale C#,D#,E,F#,G#,A#,B,C# (B major scale starting on the 2)

http://www.indowtech.net/music/YourVoyage.mp3 <<<<<<< Click here for link to Sample Maiden Voyage mp3

Any questions let me know.. Hope this helps!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Maiden Voyage - Chords and Sample Music File
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »
Maiden Voyage is a very smooth and modal tune in the form AABA.

HAHAHAHA, now come on man, u know half the people on here don't understand that AABA form, LOL.  Anyways, great job explaining it, I'm gonna definitely have to take a look at this more closely.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

DaNatiMaestro

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:15:36 PM »
HAHAHAHA, now come on man, u know half the people on here don't understand that AABA form, LOL.  Anyways, great job explaining it, I'm gonna definitely have to take a look at this more closely.

Whoops.. sorry!!! LOL..

What I mean by AABA form is that you play the A section twice then the B section once and then the A section again before you go back to the top and start over again.

This is a great tune to start an exploration into jazz.  Honestly, jazz has helped my gospel out tremendously in terms of being able to hear changes and chords.

Any other thoughts or comments? 

Let's get the Jazz section of LGM going strong!!!!

Offline Shadow_

• LGM Member
    • MidesMusic

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:26:23 PM »
Thanks a lot DNM, God Bless You.

Oh and of course i dont mind. how and why should i?lol.
Why do bad people happen to good things?

Offline manomazius

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:34:52 PM »
hi anyone knows the chords for lord make me over  ;D can you post please?
Pages: [1]   Go Up