LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Self out of the way...  (Read 1306 times)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Getting Self out of the way...
« on: October 29, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »
Well, here goes... On a spiritual topic, was wondering how to get self (or perception of self) out of the way of Worship?

Maybe I should explain... before I came to Jesus I was SCARED of playing/singing for others. Thank God, He has healed me of that, but sometimes had the opposite problem of pride in one's performance, etc. I've been dealt with on that, too, and now know enough to just do my best and leave the rest to Him.

But now if something goes particularly well in the music, how to cope with people complimenting me... I usually mumble something like 'God bless you', or 'Glory to God', or just 'thanks'. I know the Pastor is pleased, too, but at the same time he cautions people about 'getting in the flesh'. I try NOT to do that, or show off for the sake of showing off, but sometimes fear that the focus gets on me rather than God. I find myself doing this, too, sometimes when I see others leading worship, I find myself thinking 'wow, they're so great!' rather than 'the Lord's so great!'

Can anyone else relate? I know I have to deal with my own reactions, but do I have control over what others are thinking/saying?

Offline IGotSkillzJustNeedDatPush

• LGM Member
  • ME!!!!!!!

Re: Getting Self out of the way...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »
I can relate.  I tend to have the same issue when people compliment me on my leadership in Worship.  Even though I know that its not me up there leading, but it is all God.  Because I am shy, and never in a million years could I get in front of people and do anything.  But as far as overcoming this issue, I just pray constantly about it, asking Him to help me to do all things to His glory and not mines.  And constantly asking Him to stay focused on things in a Spiritual sense.  And I have recognized that it is getting better over time.  But I feel you though family
* God's So Good *

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »
All you need do is kindly thank them and then give glory to the one who gave you your gift(s).

Don't stress how others see you, for that doesn't matter (whether they compliment you or curse you); just give all the honor, glory and praise to God and KIM.

Be Blessed. :)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »
My brother, I can relate to this WHOLEHEARTEDLY.  I have yet to bke able to simply say, "Thank You" upon receiving a compliment, without feeling like I'm bragging or something.  I've bkeen down, & am still sometimes on, that "SHY" road also.  The spotlight has never bkeen something I sought after.

I go to the Father on this very issue & will stand with you as well, to lend whatever strength & support I can.  Bke Blessed & continue to fight the Good fight, my brother.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
Thanks for your words of encouragement!

:)

Offline takuya

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:41:32 PM »
Can anyone else relate? I know I have to deal with my own reactions, but do I have control over what others are thinking/saying?     

I too can definitely relate.  As far as having control over what others think/say, of course you can't do that.  See, here's the thing.  You can do your job of doing what the Word says, to stay humble and see that the Lord will exalt you in due time, that He will reward you openly.  But frankly, there are going to be people who don't want to see you exalted.  There will be people who will be jealous of you.  You can't control what they say.  As long as you know within your own heart that you are doing things for the right reason and not for any self-promotion.  And, when you see others exalted, that you rejoice with them, and not get caught up in the jealousy.

Furthermore, this is something, like other things, that you must pray to God for strength daily.  If you don't watch yourself, the Devil can come in and puff up your pride in an instant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up