LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Be A Great Musician  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

To Be A Great Musician
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Here are some tips that can help you as you become that Musician that God would have you to be.  Be Blessed.

1.   Pray – Seek the Lord for direction and guidance; seek for His anointing that you may be equipped spiritual to play His music.
2.   Get a plan – Music is a very systematic art form with many different patterns; therefore, you must get a plan on how you are going to perform it.  You may need to seek help from a music teacher or someone that is an expert on your instrument; seek advice.
3.   Listen – Listen to as much Gospel Music that you can.  Invest in some CDs.  Do not just hear the music, but listen to it discreetly (listening for the bass line; asking yourself what key is it in; listen for the parts i.e. alto, tenor, soprano; listening for chords); Also listen to other musicians-get ideas from others; keep a small tape player handy
4.   Learn Some Music Theory – Get a chord book; Get a music theory book; if you are in college, take a course in music theory-this will help you in identify chords, chord structure, and where each chord is supposed to go
5.   Practice, Practice, Practice – I can’t say that enough; find some time to practice throughout the week; at the very least 30 minutes; yes, I know that is a very hard to come by because of other duties-work, family, etc…, however, we must find that quality worship time that we may all that we can be; also make sure that also have a plan in your practice time for example 1) warm-up 2) technique 3) the actual song.

Come by and visit me at http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-AnointedSaxman  or http://members3.boardhost.com/SAXMAN111/

Sign my Guestbook.

May the blessings of God chase you down and overtake you!  :)

Saxman

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

Re: To Be A Great Musician
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »
Thanks "Saxman"....once again for your knowledge and wisdom. Stay Blessed.

PianoWiz..

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:09:29 AM »
THANKS FROR THE KNOWLEDGE!!!!!

musicalchuck

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »
Thanks!!!

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 01:16:33 PM »
This is very inspiring Saxman because I think that number 1 often gets left out, but yet its the most important one. Thanks for sharing this and I pray that God blesses you REAL GOOD!! ;)
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline rad.mark

• LGM Member
    • Multiply site

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »
Here are some tips that can help you as you become that Musician that God would have you to be.  Be Blessed.

1.   Pray – Seek the Lord for direction and guidance; seek for His anointing that you may be equipped spiritual to play His music.

TRUEELLLLY!!!!!

Mnistrel

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:47:12 PM »
YO Saxman thank for your help and this is to everybody what if you can't move your hands thats fast on the board and you dont know so of the chords  when you know them they are wrong...

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • God's Glory

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:10:05 PM »
YO Saxman thank for your help and this is to everybody what if you can't move your hands thats fast on the board and you dont know so of the chords  when you know them they are wrong...

Welcome to LGM Ministrel!!! I don't know what level you are on in your playing but the only thing that I know of that will help you to develop the ability to move faster on the keyboard is the Hannon exercises:

http://www.playzeit.com/hanon-piano-exercises.html   <----this one explains the first 5 exercises w/o u having to know how to read sheet music

There are many other exercises and sites but this is just a start, those Hannon exercises can be very very very challenging.  Also my other suggestion would be to spend as much time as you can here....there is a sticky subject up at the top of the page that gives you all of the information that you need in order to figure out chords structures and types. If you don't understand something, don't hesitate to ask for help. Just take your time and go through each lesson step by step. Even if you know it, read through it anyway....it will help put everything together for you. I hope this helps you a little. God bless!! ;)

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • God's Glory

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 12:22:42 AM »
Welcome to LGM Ministrel!!! I don't know what level you are on in your playing but the only thing that I know of that will help you to develop the ability to move faster on the keyboard is the Hannon exercises:

http://www.playzeit.com/hanon-piano-exercises.html   <----this one explains the first 5 exercises w/o u having to know how to read sheet music

There are many other exercises and sites but this is just a start, those Hannon exercises can be very very very challenging.  Also my other suggestion would be to spend as much time as you can here....there is a sticky subject up at the top of the page that gives you all of the information that you need in order to figure out chords structures and types. If you don't understand something, don't hesitate to ask for help. Just take your time and go through each lesson step by step. Even if you know it, read through it anyway....it will help put everything together for you. I hope this helps you a little. God bless!! ;)

More free hannon exercises:  http://www.danmansmusic.com/free_hanon.htm

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "Mnistrel"....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline georgiagurl

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
You right Saxman.....thank you for sharin dis.
Jesus is Lord!

Offline SCherry

• LGM Member
  • I LOVE MUSIC!(GOSPEL)

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »
Thanks Saxman!! This is all Very Very true!! ;D
THANKS!! ;D
Praising My Saviour all the day long.

Offline Pianist84

• LGM Member
  • La Pianista

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »

2.   Get a plan – Music is a very systematic art form with many different patterns; therefore, you must get a plan on how you are going to perform it.  You may need to seek help from a music teacher or someone that is an expert on your instrument; seek advice.
3.   Listen – Listen to as much Gospel Music that you can.  Invest in some CDs.  Do not just hear the music, but listen to it discreetly (listening for the bass line; asking yourself what key is it in; listen for the parts i.e. alto, tenor, soprano; listening for chords); Also listen to other musicians-get ideas from others; keep a small tape player handy
4.   Learn Some Music Theory – Get a chord book; Get a music theory book; if you are in college, take a course in music theory-this will help you in identify chords, chord structure, and where each chord is supposed to go
5.   Practice, Practice, Practice – I can’t say that enough; find some time to practice throughout the week; at the very least 30 minutes; yes, I know that is a very hard to come by because of other duties-work, family, etc…, however, we must find that quality worship time that we may all that we can be; also make sure that also have a plan in your practice time for example 1) warm-up 2) technique 3) the actual song.

Come by and visit me at http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-AnointedSaxman  or http://members3.boardhost.com/SAXMAN111/

Sign my Guestbook.

May the blessings of God chase you down and overtake you!  :)

Saxman

Thanks, Saxman! These are great tips!
"Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." ~Psalm 33:3

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:23:29 AM »
Thanks for the tips mane...!!!!
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 05:43:28 AM »
Welcome!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up