LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preaching...  (Read 1222 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Preaching...
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »
When your pastor starts to get into his preaching and the other instruments are playing there preaching chords, what exactly does the bass player do?
:)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: Preaching...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »
Continues to listen to the preacher.  ;D

Many bands do not play together but the best option is for everyone to play the same progression. Or sometimes the bass player can stay on the 1 while the keys or organ player changes chords that fit on the 1. The bass player can also hit some blues or pentatonic runs here and there.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »
not sure, i'm not really a big fan of playing while the preacher is preaching... usually the pianist would play during the end of the sermon.

but to answer your question, it's usually a minor pentatonic and you just go up the scale then start back from the root again... usually the bass just hits 1 note at a time, and maybe do a nice turnaround lick...

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »
When I'm on the bass, I follow the preacher to see if he/she wants accompaniment. If so, I'll follow the pianist or organist.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:13:20 PM »
When I'm on the bass, I follow the preacher to see if he/she wants accompaniment. If so, I'll follow the pianist or organist.

i had this same issue. i think certain people that play together practice those things in addition to learning songs. so when its time for that, everyone knows what to do. the thing is when you dont, it almost always chaos if the people dont know how to work with each other. because when you playin something simple, but tight, that works u can do that with no thought and be totally in tune with what the preacher is saying. but if each person off in their own world, then the person that wants to be in unison is scrambling to figure out what this person, whose head is in outer space, is playing, and in my own experience i found that soooo distracting that now as soon as the preacher gets up i take my bass off and open my bible.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:28:58 AM »
i had this same issue. i think certain people that play together practice those things in addition to learning songs. so when its time for that, everyone knows what to do. the thing is when you dont, it almost always chaos if the people dont know how to work with each other. because when you playin something simple, but tight, that works u can do that with no thought and be totally in tune with what the preacher is saying. but if each person off in their own world, then the person that wants to be in unison is scrambling to figure out what this person, whose head is in outer space, is playing, and in my own experience i found that soooo distracting that now as soon as the preacher gets up i take my bass off and open my bible.

This is somewhat what I was thinking.

From what I have normally observed, church musicians are typically off doing there own thing and to me, this leaves the bass player sorta out in left field
:)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 12:12:49 PM »
u gotta get somebody that really wants to be in unison with you and help you (and others if there are others) to get there. our organist is always on his own so i dont even bother too much and i just leave it alone. but the thing is, once u get teased with a positive musician, you kinda get spoiled. for me, the keyboardist that first started teaching me bass came up to the organ to play during an afternoon service because our organist didnt show. and when the MC started going into that preach mode, kinda ministering to the people, he leaned over and asked me "what key is he in?" im like "what!?!" he tells me, the MC is speaking/talking in a key; find it. so i start fiddling on my bass with it turned down kinda low and i found a note that kinda felt right. and i said "is it G?" and he says yeah. (A entire lesson right there on the spot, because i never figured that people talk in a key and i wouldnt have ever learned that if he didnt tell me to do that) so he starts playing a progression in G and tells me the chords as hes playing, so once i get the pattern down, i know the actual chords so i can try different stuff to fill in if i choose too (im not sure our organist can even tell you if hes playing a Cm7, and if he bothers to even tell you what he's playing he seems to only spell out the notes C,Eb,G,Bb which takes way too long when the song is movin along)

so i say best bet is to first get with a good organist/keyboardist to work out some progressions to use during those times. so at least you'll be able to identify some patterns and practice them to figure out stuff that works and stuff that doesnt. then if you can, get another bass players idea of what can be worked within those constructs
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline vgray

• LGM Member
  • always get your praise on!!!!24-7

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 12:36:24 PM »
i also find this to be true in chuch of god in christ , minor pentonic and find my self listening to the voice of the minister .
bro gray
denver colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up