LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Abusing The Leslie Switch!  (Read 17764 times)

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

Re: Stop Abusing The Leslie Switch!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 12:27:35 AM »
^^WOW I've never seen that before...thats a B3 right?
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 07:18:50 AM »
That's that looks some familiar to the super-b but the bottom manual has pitch and modulation wheels and is digital . That one isn't digital (from the picture anyway)
MERCY EN!!

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 09:13:35 AM »
Whats the difference between Super-B and a B3?
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 01:30:14 PM »
It was one of the first attempts to be a digital hammond but that tone generator on them sucks  Then the XK series came out...
MERCY EN!!

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 02:46:20 PM »
When playing hymns It sounds nice when you use slow during the verses and switch to fast during the chorus
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6LYjf0Ll3RY

Hey under13, you're like me. I like to use chorale during the verses and use tremolo on the chorus. I don't always do that, but I'd say the majority of the time I try to switch that way. If we're singing just a chorus, I usually switch speeds every 5 seconds or so. It's hard to keep track unless you record it because it's almost like walking. You don't think about it, you just do it.

Regarding the picture of that organ. It looks like a B3000. And ddw4e got it right, they don't sound very good at all. Even the XK3 and New B3 sound much better. Then again, technology has advanced quite a bit since the B3000. Anyway, that's my rant for the day. :-)

lilj332

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »

Regarding the picture of that organ. It looks like a B3000. And ddw4e got it right, they don't sound very good at all. Even the XK3 and New B3 sound much better. Then again, technology has advanced quite a bit since the B3000. Anyway, that's my rant for the day. :-)

no man that organ has a great sound! i really dont know what specific type it is though...i really dont think its a b3000.....but idk..b3?????

here's some clips of it...

lilj332

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
oh here's some better pics of it [i 4got i had these]

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,49012.0.html

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 09:48:52 PM »
It's definitely a  B3000.

Synopsis:      Hammond's early big attempt at a portable B3.
Cabinet Size:    47x39x29 (WDH inches), 263lbs with bench.
Manuals:    Swell and great, 61 playing keys each.
Pedals:    25-note radiating detachable pedalboard.
Controls:    9 preset keys and 2 sets of 9 adjustable harmonic drawbars for each manual, (lower B preset had different harmonics; 16',8',4',2',1' mellow and bright). 2 adjustable (16' and 8') for pedals.
Features:    2nd/3rd percussion as per B3, sustain, reverb, transposer, key click, built in Leslie controls (for HL722), vibrato (simulated), optional cover. No tone generator in here ...

Source: http://www.jackhollow.co.uk/hammond/modellist/models.html
MERCY EN!!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 09:53:49 PM »
no man that organ has a great sound! i really dont know what specific type it is though...i really dont think its a b3000.....but idk..b3?????

here's some clips of it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xUxGH_P6K48
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ClVe3fGqTfQ
Play a real B3 and then come back and play yours...you hear a difference...Trust me!!  :D :D
MERCY EN!!

lilj332

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 11:04:16 PM »
i have played the real b-3
there is a difference ;D but i like playin both
i love the sound of the c-2.  and b-2 is the best! but i never played one yet.

Offline jdightman

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »
I've played on 1 before. It sounds good to me. Even though the switch was on top, my left hand kept making its way over to where the switch is on any other organ. LOL

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »
I keep seeing people saying "am I doing it at the right time" or something like that...

I've never been told about a right or wrong time to use the leslie switch.  So could someone please tell me or at least direct me in this matter.

When do you and don't you flip the switch?
I'm Blessed To Be A Blessing!!!!!!!!!!

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »
It's definitely a  B3000.

Synopsis:      Hammond's early big attempt at a portable B3.
Cabinet Size:    47x39x29 (WDH inches), 263lbs with bench.
Manuals:    Swell and great, 61 playing keys each.
Pedals:    25-note radiating detachable pedalboard.
Controls:    9 preset keys and 2 sets of 9 adjustable harmonic drawbars for each manual, (lower B preset had different harmonics; 16',8',4',2',1' mellow and bright). 2 adjustable (16' and 8') for pedals.
Features:    2nd/3rd percussion as per B3, sustain, reverb, transposer, key click, built in Leslie controls (for HL722), vibrato (simulated), optional cover. No tone generator in here ...

Source: http://www.jackhollow.co.uk/hammond/modellist/models.html

EEEEKKK  our sister church has a B3000 and I hate it with a passion.  Not only do I hate the sound of it, but I don't like the feel either and the manuals are too close together.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline Bruh Kell

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 01:57:48 PM »
When I first started playing the Organ  used to flip that switch 'cause I thought it was hip. I thought I was hip. And I was 'cause everybody used tocome and ask me "hey why y'all be flippin' that switch?" and "what does it do?". When I still lived with my mother I had an old H series (I think) Hammond and I didn't have any leslie switch to flip and the church I played for didn't have a leslie either. So I had to learn to make it sound good in other ways. owadays when I play I don't flip so much. But I do have a tendency to flip when I thnk my favorite part is coming up.

There's two main ways I use the switch.

#1. In mid chord
When I go for one of those long chords that have to be held for just a while I like to hear the leslie "jump in" slowly

#2. Stop and go
Sometimes when I come to a rest (non-theoretical) I'll accentuate the rest by taking all my fingers off at once, flip, and jump back into the next chord or runs.

#2 sounds really good when you're going for that new Jazzy chord you learned last night all alone in the basement.

Any one else have leslie techniques they'd like to share?
I Love You!!!

Rjthakid

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »
::ahem:: Hello.  My name is Nick, and I am recovering Leslie switch addict.  It was hard at first, but the more I pay attention to the sound, the more I know when the best times are to flip that switch.  It's really important because it affects your sound.

Also, the less you move that switch back and forth, the more distinguished it becomes to the audience.  If you're flicking it all the time, then no one will really understand its value.  When you use it at just the right times (like fast to slow right before you hit that bangin chord you just came across last night at 3am...), you'll make more of an effect.

Also, playing slow filler chords and ballads on slow with no chorus/vibrato has a great, smooth effect to it.  I think it is more pronounced, also, to the audience when the Leslie is miked.

Truth.  I LOVE to go from fast to slow when I get to a nice chord.  It's a great feeling when you time it JUST right and you hear the leslie slow down EXACTLY when you want it to.

Kinda like fresh-baked cookies on Christmas morning you know?

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »
+1  ;D

Offline DirectingOrganist

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »
i only use the leslie for the parts in the song that are just boom! lol..i really don't kno when i should or shouldnt use it...but most of the time when i listen to myself, i am using at the right times.         

now.....my question:

does anybody play a hammond where the leslie motor switch is at the top...like this 1??

Thats a B3000 if I aint mistaken
Seek His Face, Not His Hand!

Offline DirectingOrganist

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Thats a B3000 if I aint mistaken
First organ I ever played, still practice on it, sounds pretty good to me, but give me a C2 anyday. I normally use the switch by my foot when I get on it rather than the one at the top, I love the sound when it first starts to get fast.
(tried adding this to my previous message but couldn't)
Seek His Face, Not His Hand!

Offline shortfuse88

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
Have you ever seen someone play your organ or been to someone's church where all they do is "click" "click" "click" every 3 seconds?  And not only that, they switch the control so hard that it creates a short in your control switch?  EWWWWW!!!!!  Well I have and it got on my nerves.  It made me think that they didn't know what chorale or tremolo meant but wanted to look important...hee hee hee!  If you're a victim of this....STOOOOOOOP! LOL ;D
I'm not going to lie. I was doing it until I read this. lol..I never was one who click it to hard thou. But this pass Sunday i really didn't use it a much. I figure it probably sounds better if I put it on fast only on the fast songs and slow on slow song. Is that the right way that it should be done? if not can you tell me. ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
. I figure it probably sounds better if I put it on fast only on the fast songs and slow on slow song. Is that the right way that it should be done? if not can you tell me. ;D

I wouldnt suggest that. You can use either fast or slow on both fast or slow songs. I suggest that you listen to a lot of different organist, and you will eventually feel when you should change speeds. Also listen to yourself. You'd be suprised of the things you do that you arent even aware of. I used to abuse the switch until I wached videos of myself playing, then I made a consous Effort to stop using it when I shouldnt

Sometimes what I will do during hymns is use slow during the verse and use fast during the chorus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up