LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Abusing The Leslie Switch!  (Read 17873 times)

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

Re: Stop Abusing The Leslie Switch!
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
Have you ever seen someone play your organ or been to someone's church where all they do is "click" "click" "click" every 3 seconds?  And not only that, they switch the control so hard that it creates a short in your control switch?  EWWWWW!!!!!  Well I have and it got on my nerves.  It made me think that they didn't know what chorale or tremolo meant but wanted to look important...hee hee hee!  If you're a victim of this....STOOOOOOOP! LOL ;D

i cant say anything about the hard hitting

but there is a technique called speed switching
and the idea is to get the leslie to remain
in an in between state

when it is off the leslie stops spinning
when it is on it gradually speeds up to top speed hitting max speed in about 8 - 10 seconds
if you switch every four seconds

you can keep it between full and off
and it is a nice sound and much sought after

some leslies come with a half speed switch

so you dont have to speed switch

look at the hammond organ b3 book
this technique is the second technique taught in the book

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »
D, Which book is that?

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »
i cant say anything about the hard hitting

but there is a technique called speed switching
and the idea is to get the leslie to remain
in an in between state

when it is off the leslie stops spinning
when it is on it gradually speeds up to top speed hitting max speed in about 8 - 10 seconds
if you switch every four seconds

you can keep it between full and off
and it is a nice sound and much sought after

some leslies come with a half speed switch

so you dont have to speed switch

look at the hammond organ b3 book
this technique is the second technique taught in the book

I never knew that. Thanks!!!
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
D, Which book is that?

tHE NAME OF THE BOOK IS HAMMOND ORGAN COMPLETE  BY DAVE LIMINA

THE EMPHASIS IS JAZZ AND BLUES WITH SOME GOSPEL AND ROCK SO YOU GET A BROAD SMATTERING OF TECHNIQUES

THE LESLIE SWITCH THING i FIRST SAW ONE OF MY TEACHERS DO IT AND i WAS STUDYING PIANO WITH HIM SO I DIDNT QUESTION  the technique I just started doing it and liked the sound then some well meaning person said dont hit the switch so much the motor takes time to speed up you swtithing it off before it even gets spinning fast

not knowing why i was doing it I stopped until I read that speed switching is a technique that people long to get just right

go figure

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 06:37:56 PM »
if it's 1/2 way between fast and stop,what's the difference between slow and fast? just unplug the slow motor,or run the slow motor a/c plugs to a power tap;turn power tap off-f/off-tap on fast/slow;all 3 possibilities

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
I've had more than one individual on YouTube tell me to stop switching so much. Quite honestly, I don't think there is any right or wrong way to switch speeds. Just do what you think sounds good. I switch quite a bit. I used to do the "chorale on verse / tremolo on chorus" method, but in the last several months I've gone back to the frequent switching method. It just sounds much better to me. I don't like leaving tremolo on very long. Many times I barely let the rotors start to spin before I switch back to chorale.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »
I've had more than one individual on YouTube tell me to stop switching so much. Quite honestly, I don't think there is any right or wrong way to switch speeds. Just do what you think sounds good. I switch quite a bit. I used to do the "chorale on verse / tremolo on chorus" method, but in the last several months I've gone back to the frequent switching method. It just sounds much better to me. I don't like leaving tremolo on very long. Many times I barely let the rotors start to spin before I switch back to chorale.

thats that sound

if it's 1/2 way between fast and stop,what's the difference between slow and fast? just unplug the slow motor,or run the slow motor a/c plugs to a power tap;turn power tap off-f/off-tap on fast/slow;all 3 possibilities
a
I think that is the quick fix but then you are stuck with just that sound
you know the speed
where is the human element
the human that may switch just right this time and a little late next time it allows the instrument to breathe

hey like the guy says there is no wrong or right way
however there is a better sounding and a worse sounding way I am sure

like putting the tremelo on full blast while playing an anthem
or leaving it off
while playing preacher chords or a shout

the more you learn about this instrument the better off you will be

so keep it coming and try not to pass judgement just investigate

that is not all for you Doc john just the first paragraph

Offline CESharp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Good Mornting......Hellerrrrrrrr!!!!

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »
and you will eventually feel when you should change speeds. Also listen to yourself.

I know that's right! I usually switch when I feel it's needed or for more expression in songs, etc.

UGH! It gets under my skin to see "flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip" every 2 seconds
I've seen too many do this JUST to feel important

would someone elaborate on the correct definitions of the switch buttons please!  thanks
Carla E.
Canaan Church (Urbana, Illinois)
U of I

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »

would someone elaborate on the correct definitions of the switch buttons please!  thanks
The correct terms are Chorale (slow) and Tremelo (fast)

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
I guess I don't put much thought into how often one should switch speeds.  It's a matter of choice just like drawbar settings and about everything else.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline SoundzGoOd

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
Alot of organist don't realize that the Leslie switch is there for a effect. When u play your chord changes, you have to hear how its gonna sound if u were to hit da switch. I notice alot of organist abuse the switch because they lack left hang chording :-\

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »
I'm not posting this to be smart, I honestly want to know. This is a video of me playing (feel free to check out my other vids). Am I switching too much?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 12:34:50 AM »
I'm not posting this to be smart, I honestly want to know. This is a video of me playing (feel free to check out my other vids). Am I switching too much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzHEWxHgXns

Yeah it was a lot, but it sounded good, so I dont see a problem. Especially on a fast song like that.
coincedently, we sang that this morning

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
sound good Ryan,getting down@church! is that your CV?

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »
I just started doing it and liked the sound then some well meaning person said dont hit the switch so much the motor takes time to speed up you swtithing it off before it even gets spinning fast

not knowing why i was doing it I stopped until I read that speed switching is a technique that people long to get just right

go figure

The upper horn gets up to fast speed fairly fast.  It might take another second or so for the dopler effect to go away.  The lower rotor generally will take 6-8 seconds to get up to speed because the belt slips initially.  We had a bad upper bearing and it caused the horn to take longer to sping up to fast speed.  I liked it that way but I fixed it because I didn't want the belt to wear out.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline X-66

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
That was very tastefully played, and the sound was great too.  When the upper roter stops completely, the speed-up to fast again is more pronounced---nice effect. 

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzHEWxHgXns

I would think that is an example of speed switching notice how he switches the leslie on for just a second or two
before swticthing it off
just enough time to let a little effect through

nice two hand technique too on the melody

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2008, 12:38:18 AM »
I would think that is an example of speed switching notice how he switches the leslie on for just a second or two
before swticthing it off
just enough time to let a little effect through

nice two hand technique too on the melody

Thank you very much. I'm quite happy with the technique I use and will continue to use it. My purpose in posting the video was just to get an idea of what some think is "too much" switching. IMHO, the song would not have been at the same caliber had I left it on tremolo the whole time chorale the entire time.

blyempowered

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
So I decided to record an organ medley yesterday on socialcam (also on youtube under churchyreal) and yeah I'm a leslie abuser....SMH! For me I think it's more of a habit and there's something about it switching from one sound to another at certain spots. I'm going to work hard on it.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
That's all the Leslie is is an effect A VERY SWEET effect lol but placement is what makes it stand out! The Hammond can produce a bigger sound than many gospel players aren't used to like the Leslie in brake/stop setting lol, you be surprised of some of the dope sounds you can get out of it especially with some distortion! Also the over use of the Vibrato/Chorus knob lol I feel when the Leslie is on fast and you got C3 on the knob it hides the true sound of the organist any skill level can get on the organ with this setting 888808008 with C3 on the great and swell with the Leslie on fast and BEAST lol
keyz 4 life
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up