LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What piece of equipment does J Moss use to make his vocals so harmonic?  (Read 12246 times)

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

Re: What piece of equipment does J Moss use to make his vocals so harmonic?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 10:15:58 PM »
check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jPIyY_t54 at about the 1:27 mark you can perfectly hear auto tune in effect.... I also noticed that there are 3 singers backing him up, and they kinda sound like J-Moss singing his own background vocals at three different pitches.

It is J. Moss' vocals there.  I think their real purpose was to dance.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Dredakyst

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »
Remember 
The voice is also an instrument... if peeps aren't out the box with vocal enhancements.. what about Guitar enhancements or Keyboard enhancements... it comes in full circle...

I think we need to get out of the Box with music... so if you want to sing with a Vocoder then do so.. if you want to use Auto-tune or Melodyne... go head... just make sure your stuff is HOT!... Who cares about singing these days anyway? most Gospel improper technique or hoarse belting hollin anyway...LOL  ;D so what's the difference...   

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 12:14:59 PM »
singin wid a vocoder as a style, thats one thing. (i LOOOOOOVE ROGER TROUTMAN)

singin to hide the fact that u be off pitch, that sumphin else.

Note: J. Moss CAN sing very well. dude got pipes.

but ya got a LOTTA peeps that cant and use AT to cover that.

Offline Dredakyst

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »

but ya got a LOTTA peeps that cant and use AT to cover that.

according to the number #1 hit maker in R&B this is what he had to say...

"You gotta sing in a certain tone of voice," he added, explaining how to use the device properly. "You gotta sing in a key that's between off-key and on key. You have to sing a half of a note. Some people are like, 'Let me put this on my voice and it'll sound good.' I think the only [other] person that could use it without my permission is R. Kelly."

It's so many people that can sing [who are using it]. What's to hide? It's nothing to hide. To me, sounding good ain't important — it's song content and feeling. You don't have to be able to sing. A lot of people are paying attention to looks and sound. In the old school, you barely had to sing at all. You just have to talk on your intro, go through and scream and you got a song.

"I could care less," he added about the criticism. "It's making me money."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1568538/20070829/t_pain.jhtml

i thought that was funny... but it just shows you how people are thinking these days....

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
u kno, while it is funny, it's to the chagrin of the musician in me.

It's like usin tha transpose button for some people.

(altho guitarists do it all the time with "capos"..)

Offline Dredakyst

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 12:50:03 PM »
u kno, while it is funny, it's to the chagrin of the musician in me.

It's like usin tha transpose button for some people.

(altho guitarists do it all the time with "capos"..)

don't u just love double standards and unwritten rules... :D hehehe

Offline Jack-bonez

• LGM Member
  • I'm new at this.

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 01:17:48 AM »
Karen and J moss are Cousins  its natural that they cheat  together as a family.
LOLOLOL
I gonig to make a change.

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »
Karen and J moss are Cousins  its natural that they cheat  together as a family.
LOLOLOL

For the record, I've seen Jmoss live in a "small venue atmosphere"  and I was working with the sound technicians.  Dude's voice is for real.   He may use autotune, but he can really sing.   I thought he was only a "studio" vocalist mself  but when he showed up and did his thing,   He completely changed my mind.

Now if he would only start  singing songs for grown folks  instead of teenagers, we wold be getting somewhere

Jlewis

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 05:50:35 PM »
i personally don't like J Moss singing because his harmonizing voice sounds so "robotic"; i really don't like it. I mean the best thing to do is train up your voice and use multi tracking programs to create a harmonizing sound. All you need is a mic though.

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »
check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jPIyY_t54 at about the 1:27 mark you can perfectly hear auto tune in effect.... I also noticed that there are 3 singers backing him up, and they kinda sound like J-Moss singing his own background vocals at three different pitches.

i noticed that in 1:57 of the video, those background vocal guys just did the snap dance, which is very popular in Hip-Hop.

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »
sorry i meant 1:51.

Rjthakid

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2007, 05:08:01 PM »
I am a fan of J. Moss' work as well, but he really overdoes it with the Auto-tuner I have used it on a demo that I produced as well.  But I used it for the vocoder type effect when you turn it all the way up.  It's a decent tool, but it has become a tool of laziness in my opinion.  Instead of making someone do it until they get it right like back in the day, they just click a few times and fix it.  I'll be listening to music with my lady and I'll say they are using auto-tuner.  She'll be like "what are you talking about?"  Then I'll try to get her to hear it.  It's getting so bad now that they are using the auto-tuner on live TV.  If you listen real close you can tell.     

Ain't nothin wrong with an Auto-tuner.  My TV has one and my reception is crystal cl....

Wait, wait.  Ok, just read the post.  Nevamind.

Ramar

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 05:33:03 PM »
i noticed that in 1:57 of the video, those background vocal guys just did the snap dance, which is very popular in Hip-Hop.

yup... they sure did, lol!!!!

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 03:05:07 AM »
Actually,   I think them background dudes are straight up lip syncing.   The background vocals sound exactly like JMoss.   And all that dancing  and lean wit it/rock wit it and not hearing anyone puffing in the microphone........    sounds like lip syncing to me.

Jlewis

Ramar

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
Actually,   I think them background dudes are straight up lip syncing.   The background vocals sound exactly like JMoss.   And all that dancing  and lean wit it/rock wit it and not hearing anyone puffing in the microphone........    sounds like lip syncing to me.

Jlewis

I agree 100%, those are definitely J-Moss' background vocals--- I think their real purpose was to dance.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
I agree 100%, those are definitely J-Moss' background vocals--- I think their real purpose was to dance.
I haven't seen the video (youtube is blocked at work) So many live shows have tracks going with them including vocals.  I remember seeing an Usher show on video and it was quite obvious.  I would think if you're going to use vocal tracks, have the background singers use their own voices.  I guess these artist are making money and the general public doesn't seem to care so why should they.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up