LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

What would you do?
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
Do most of you guys tend to stick to the same drum set up or do you tend to switch based on what and where you're playing?

I've watched Dave Weckl and Vinnie Coliauta and their drum techs always set up their kits the same exact way gig after gig, however most drummers in my area including myself tend to switch their set ups depending on the gig. Drummers like Spanky and Tony Royster jr. however go from the old school Buddy rich set up to the regular 10, 12, 14. (00
                    0)
So I just want to know if you switch and what influences how you switch
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
I dont switch up, I just +or- depending on the gig.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:03:34 PM »
I dont switch up, I just +or- depending on the gig.

Thats what I do.  Not all 6 pieces of my kit are required and are fitting on every gig.  Adaptation is the name of the game.  If you're doing a gig on a small stage then clearly you can't play your Terry Bozzio kit.

Vinnie and those cats can play the same kit on all of their gigs becaue they are who they are.  The music calls for them to be who they are and speak in their voices on gigs.  Thats just what it is. 

With maturity and experience one will begin to pay attention to what is necessasary for a gig.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
I play from a minimalist point of view.

As in... I'll always try & go for the least amount of drums that a gig requires & then add from there if needed.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:08:06 AM »
Like BBD said, I +or - depending on what the Gig is calling for :)
Richard

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »
Yeah son.  Some gigs I go 10-12-16, others 10-12-14, some 8-10-14-16.......It just depends
Keep It Funky

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Yeah son.  Some gigs I go 10-12-16, others 10-12-14, some 8-10-14-16.......It just depends

I'm sayin though cuz, whats the diff between hauling a 16 with the 10, and 12 as opposed to hauling the 14, it's just caring extra weight...or it just seems like it, I could do 12, 16, but if your adding the 10 you might as well have the 14

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »
Honestly, there are some gigs when I go kick, snare, hihat, ride and maybe a crash.  It all depends on the gig and the venue.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »
Honestly, there are some gigs when I go kick, snare, hihat, ride and maybe a crash.  It all depends on the gig and the venue.

Straight no toms?!?!? I think I only gigged like that once, I was uncomfortable for me. I can do the quest love though, with the just the 16 at my right side, but I need some type of tommage

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 12:33:28 PM »
Straight no toms?!?!? I think I only gigged like that once, I was uncomfortable for me. I can do the quest love though, with the just the 16 at my right side, but I need some type of tommage

...the word of the day for you is......"Creativity". LOL  Why don't you practice with no "tomage" and see what you can come up with.  ;D

...the set up juSe is talking about seperates the boys from men. ;)  You know why?  You can tell how solid your groove is and you can also tell how creative you are.  Let me put it to yall this way, Spanky does it. ;)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Highly_Favored

• LGM Member
  • I love pink...

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »

Wow, I have never gone that bare before... I bet that you still made it sound like a million bucks. :)
The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God cannot protect you.

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 09:37:08 PM »
...the word of the day for you is......"Creativity". LOL  Why don't you practice with no "tomage" and see what you can come up with.  ;D

...the set up juSe is talking about seperates the boys from men. ;)  You know why?  You can tell how solid your groove is and you can also tell how creative you are.  Let me put it to yall this way, Spanky does it. ;)

QFT

Wow, I have never gone that bare before... I bet that you still made it sound like a million bucks. :)

See above reply.

It takes a different type of player to pull that off.  I'll be straight up with you.  In the begining it was hard as the Dickens to pull it off because you certainly have to think differently.  It forces you to a: play the music, b: think outside the box if you're gonna stretch.  The you don't have as much stuff to hit, so you have to think about your whole kit as an instrument and not just drumheads, cymbals, and drum sticks as sound sourses.  You'll probably use rods or brushes of some sort, your hands, play on the shells of the drums....  You gotta think even more when you play on a smaller kit. 

Practice that way.  I promise you'll respect your full kit a whole lot more if you do. 

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 11:29:09 AM »
....Update:

...so I was playing at a Mens Conference this weekend and a friend of mine was bringing the drums/Cymbals that belong to his Evangelical Ministry to the location which was out in the woods in a land far, far away.LOL (He's not a drummer.) I brought a snare w. stand, hihat stand, hihats, a Ride, straight stand, my throne, my kick pedal and stick bag.  The devotion started at 8pm and this dude didn't get there till 2am.  He was Preaching at another church far from the location.  I wasn't mad though.  I was actually feeling good because what I put on the boards earlier was actually happening to me buuuut....I had no kick drum. LOL  So I played Conga/Timbales Patterns on the snare with the snares off and played around with the upbeats on the hihat with the left foot to fill in.  I had a great time that night and the guys were actually laughing with me because they always know that I'll "make it do what it do." LOL 

...you guys should experiment playing without some of your gear.  I believe it was Will Kennedy that said that all drummers should also practice with one or more handicaps on their set-up and with less gear to adapt to different situations, settings and set ups.  I agree.  I've gone through it more than 3 times already. LOL
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »
Ron Brunner also said that on the MD Fest dvd....  Wonder how many cats saw it.....

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »
Ron Brunner also said that on the MD Fest dvd....  Wonder how many cats saw it.....

...Wow!!! I didn't know that.  I have to purchase it.  I know, I'm behind...but I wanted to purchase more instructional DVD's this year rather than performances. (JoJo's, Tommy's, El Negro's etc.)

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »

There are 2 discs devoted to education.  Steve Smith's segment is definitely hot.  As is Thomas Langs.  Get it dude.  You won't be disappointed.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
There are 2 discs devoted to education.  Steve Smith's segment is definitely hot.  As is Thomas Langs.  Get it dude.  You won't be disappointed.

...okay then....I'll add it to the list.  My priorities right now are Phil Maturano's Afro-Cuban DVD, Steve Smith and Adam N.'s Art of Brushes and Steve Smith's New DVD that will be out soon.  Wowza!!! :o :o

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:22:13 PM »
...okay then....I'll add it to the list.  My priorities right now are Phil Maturano's Afro-Cuban DVD, Steve Smith and Adam N.'s Art of Brushes and Steve Smith's New DVD that will be out soon.  Wowza!!! :o :o

The pre-cursor to the Jazz Legacy DVD is MD Fest.  Pick it up.  You know you wanna....

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
The pre-cursor to the Jazz Legacy DVD is MD Fest.  Pick it up.  You know you wanna....

...it reads like I don't have a choice. :-\

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »
...it reads like I don't have a choice. :-\

You's a grown man dawg...  There is always a choice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up