LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: effects processors  (Read 2729 times)

Offline docsmith

• LGM Member

effects processors
« on: September 09, 2004, 02:26:30 PM »
I was interested in buying a guitar effects processor, such as the digitech GNX. How much does a guitar effects processor add to playing? I saw in Musicians friend a guitar synthesizer by roland. Does anyone hve any comments on how the guitar synthesizer compares with a effects processor?

thanks,
Wendell

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

effects processors
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 04:50:05 PM »
A synth is going to actually duplicate the sound of other instruments.  Also, you have to alter your guitar with the addition of a synth pickup (which can be double-side-taped, but most people screw them in).  I'm sure they do more than just instrument emulation, but I have only played through one a few times.

If you were looking for simply different tones and effects, you'd be better off with a processor (you'll also be hundreds of dollars lower on price).  From what I've read, the GNX is supposedly revolutionary.  Personally, I'm not a big digital fan.  I like a good guitar, scramin' tube amp, and a wah (I'm working on obtaining or making a uni-vibe soon, but that's about it).

All my tone comes from where my volume on my guitar is set.  I rarely even change channels on my amp.  Oh, I have a reverb unit, too, but that's not a "real" effect.  It's required.

Go to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash, etc. and just play with stuff.  Take your own guitar and just twist knobs for a few hours.  You'll find what you want.  Anymore, these stores will match Musician's Friend prices (they may add the shipping, too, but you're still dead even).

Good luck.

Offline Razzman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is good.........All The time

effects processors
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 01:53:10 PM »
effects processors have there place, but it really depends allot on what you are going to do with it, or what kind of music you play, and what kind of epuipment you use now?!   I had a boss gt-6 and took it back, not that it sounded totally bad but there is just a bunch of sounds that I'd never use. And unless you go direct to a p.a. or to record, the amp simulations are not that great. All digital and harsh, but some folks like that.  I use a tube amp (Fender blues deville 2x12 or deluxe 1x12)and a Ibanez tube king for my drive/distortion or route 66, a boss dd5 delay, a wahwah, and arion sch-1 chorus and thats it..... But the music I play is mainly eather BLack Gospel, MOdern Gospel, or White contemporary stuff occationally. All the weird processor sounds gt-6 and gnx produce Id never use. $400.00-$500.00 I spend on things I can use.  Also if your in a praise group at church, as a guitar player, what is it you want to contribute to what is being played musically.  Another thing to concider is every time you want to change your sound texture you have to build a patch and bank it so you can find it if your playing live! I just like my simple stomp box,s its eather on or off :)  I hope this helps in your decision. with all that said they are fun to goof around on!

Offline docsmith

• LGM Member

effects processors
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 08:32:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies. You have really given me something to consider.
docsmith
Pages: [1]   Go Up