LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Younger or Beginning Musicians Who Don't Respect Older Or Seasoned Musicians  (Read 7048 times)

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

I have a big problem with some of the up and coming musicians talking like they know everything and thank goodness it's not ALL! >:(  I have seen some interesting comments here on LGM on how they talk to the newer and not yet experienced musicians, young or old and they're just starting themselves.  I have always been taught to respect your elders and/or those who have more experience. Those are the ones you want to learn from and even learn how not to make the same mistakes they may have.  So with that said, no matter how much you THINK you may know, remember YOU were in the same position wanting to learn and YOU have not arrived to the point that you are the ultimate musician with ALL the answers!  Respect. learn and love!!!!!  ;)  I am STILL learning and will continue to do so (yeah Key Wiz, I want my lesson and I'm comin' up there to Michigan to get it)
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

I have a big problem with some of the up and coming musicians talking like they know everything and thank goodness it's not ALL! >:(  I have seen some interesting comments here on LGM on how they talk to the newer and not yet experienced musicians, young or old and they're just starting themselves.  I have always been taught to respect your elders and/or those who have more experience. Those are the ones you want to learn from and even learn how not to make the same mistakes they may have.  So with that said, no matter how much you THINK you may know, remember YOU were in the same position wanting to learn and YOU have not arrived to the point that you are the ultimate musician with ALL the answers!  Respect. learn and love!!!!!  ;)  I am STILL learning and will continue to do so (yeah Key Wiz, I want my lesson and I'm comin' up there to Michigan to get it)

great post.I know im still learning to.
Shannon moore

Offline under13

• LGM Member

This is a big problem within our churches. As an up and coming musician I would never disrespect someone who can help me out or put me in places. In an industry that relies on networking you dont wanna "burn any Bridges".
Young musicians who are rude to the older band members and Church leaders should be sat down or suspended until they learn how to be humble. But this is the way most of the kids today act, they dont even respect thier parents and teachers so it's no suprise that they are disrespectful in the church

Offline redeemed92

• LGM Member
  • Not A Part-time Christian!

You GO GIRL!!! Now THAT'S wisdom...remember, there's always someone way better than you, so be humble!!! lol!! Good post.

Offline keyboardman84

• LGM Member

I agree!!!

Offline key-wiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "KW"
    • http://www.learngospelmusic.com

Amen Trina! Spoken like A true Woman'd Of God!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't That Just Sound HOLY "(<<<<<<) LOL :D :D

Also Come On ^^^^^^^^^^ I'm Here waiting Then You Can Play And I Learn ;)
Abracadabra!!!! "Key-Wiz" The Magic Of Music

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

This topic was very much needed...This specific situation is getting outta hand with us younger musicians..but it's not all of us..HA I've been talked about by some otha "young" local musicians for being too humble..but like you stated the older seasoned musicians are the ones you can learn from. Thats what I do ...and really no one has told me to...it just seems like it's the right thing to do
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

Yeah we kinda got a problem with that here in NY too........its wierd though because all of the older seasoned musicians don't really come out lol!!!!!!  So a lot of the young cats just have to shed with each other...BUT when the older heads come out all ears are open
Keep It Funky

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

Yeah....Great Post Trina. I agree and I've actually seen it both ways to where a young musician or beginner will not respect a seasoned or matured musician and treat them like dirt and won't listen and I've seen it where an advanced or "well known" musician would kick a young musician off of the keys,organ or drums, and try to embarrass them when they were actually doing a great job, but because of the seasoned musicians "I've been playing for 20 yrs and I know it all" status....they felt they needed to take over at the time, the flow of the spirit is disrupted and the young musicians spirit is crushed.

I really have seen more of the younger musicians in the wrong in recent months and years, but It really does come down to just sharing the love of Christ and sharing the gifts he's given to us with each other to build the Kingdom of God. We all should respect one other because we all have something to bring to the table......  8)

God Bless

Offline drebeatz

• LGM Member

But why does it have to be an older person or someone better than you? What happened to RESPECT in general? I was always the type coming up on drums that respected the ones doing it before me, but also wanted make sure i respected the ones who didn't even know what i knew. Only because i remembered what it was like when i was there. A musician that has a good attitude about themselves is the one that everyone will want to watch......old and young alike. ;D 8)
"Many Are Called....Few Are Chozen"

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

Yeah....Great Post Trina. I agree and I've actually seen it both ways to where a young musician or beginner will not respect a seasoned or matured musician and treat them like dirt and won't listen and I've seen it where an advanced or "well known" musician would kick a young musician off of the keys,organ or drums, and try to embarrass them when they were actually doing a great job, but because of the seasoned musicians "I've been playing for 20 yrs and I know it all" status....they felt they needed to take over at the time, the flow of the spirit is disrupted and the young musicians spirit is crushed.

I really have seen more of the younger musicians in the wrong in recent months and years, but It really does come down to just sharing the love of Christ and sharing the gifts he's given to us with each other to build the Kingdom of God. We all should respect one other because we all have something to bring to the table......  8)

God Bless

Very true, I've been witness to this
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Runs_N_12_Keys

Yes It can and has (In My Case) went Both ways, There are some Rude old Musicians up here in UPSTATE NY, I don’t mind getting kicked off the Organ by someone who is more skillful and who will in turn show me what I was Doing wrong and How to incorporate “this” or “that” the next time I Play,  But  I Do highly oppose to someone kicking me off the organ and then telling me that I will never be a Good Organist or I’m dragging the Service or they wish I played the tambourine (All true ..the last one is kind of Funny…lol)  I’m not trying to go against this Post because you have to Respect the ones that paved the way.. It’s a MUST!  But I’m saying some of these Older Cats can Really Damage (and or Cripple) your Esteem!! I Used the Rudeness to better myself as a Musician…. 

STORY TIME!!

I Remember one Time when I had first started out, There  was this Lady that asked me to play for her at a Musical and the Organist that was playing prior to me was a well known Organist Arguably the Best Old School Organist in Rochester. So  I told him that  I was asked to play for the next soloist, He didn’t take that to well So the Lady starts singing and Ends up in the Key of G, At the Time the only Thing I knew in G was minor Chords thanks to B Flat (BUT I AM IN ALL KEYS NOW SHOUT OUT TO THE “ARE YOU STILL TRANSPOSING POST” L.A.T 4 LIFE) So  I was Sweating Bullets praying that  I could get through the Song, Now instead of Ole Boy taking over or telling me where to go He gets on the Piano literally plays over me in such a tone that made everybody in the audience look in that direction in shock and as he’s doing that he’s telling me How I suck and  I was out of my Mind to kick him off the organ (and I was… LOL)  there’s more to that story but I’m getting mad just thinking about it and I May just swing off on that dude if I see him Now (that’s a Joke ….) But I Said all that to say; I think Rude OLD Musicians begets Rude Young Musicians.. Just my Take on it

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

Yes It can and has (In My Case) went Both ways, There are some Rude old Musicians up here in UPSTATE NY, I don’t mind getting kicked off the Organ by someone who is more skillful and who will in turn show me what I was Doing wrong and How to incorporate “this” or “that” the next time I Play,  But  I Do highly oppose to someone kicking me off the organ and then telling me that I will never be a Good Organist or I’m dragging the Service or they wish I played the tambourine (All true ..the last one is kind of Funny…lol)  I’m not trying to go against this Post because you have to Respect the ones that paved the way.. It’s a MUST!  But I’m saying some of these Older Cats can Really Damage (and or Cripple) your Esteem!! I Used the Rudeness to better myself as a Musician…. 

STORY TIME!!

I Remember one Time when I had first started out, There  was this Lady that asked me to play for her at a Musical and the Organist that was playing prior to me was a well known Organist Arguably the Best Old School Organist in Rochester. So  I told him that  I was asked to play for the next soloist, He didn’t take that to well So the Lady starts singing and Ends up in the Key of G, At the Time the only Thing I knew in G was minor Chords thanks to B Flat (BUT I AM IN ALL KEYS NOW SHOUT OUT TO THE “ARE YOU STILL TRANSPOSING POST” L.A.T 4 LIFE) So  I was Sweating Bullets praying that  I could get through the Song, Now instead of Ole Boy taking over or telling me where to go He gets on the Piano literally plays over me in such a tone that made everybody in the audience look in that direction in shock and as he’s doing that he’s telling me How I suck and  I was out of my Mind to kick him off the organ (and I was… LOL)  there’s more to that story but I’m getting mad just thinking about it and I May just swing off on that dude if I see him Now (that’s a Joke ….) But I Said all that to say; I think Rude OLD Musicians begets Rude Young Musicians.. Just my Take on it

Dang bruh....pm me the rest of the story...

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

THIS IS SOOO TRUE!!! THANK YOU WOMAN OF GOD FOR US OLDHEADS!!!  AND THATS A RAPP!!! Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

People have underestimated me when it comes to playing and try to play over me because I play pretty much basic. I have seen younger musicians try to play every trick they have just to show off. Most times I ignore it. If you are confident in your ability you really are not worried about showing off.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

it is interesting isn't it ? that's right T T. if we gotta bring'em back to the beginning where it started, do what you do. At times experience is the best teacher, and some of them are gonna go through before it hits them. some have and won't share with us either. See some folks have those skeletons in their closet on thinking they've arrived. If you open that closet door, a bone will fall out.
I'm not finished playing

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

the Organist that was playing prior to me was a well known Organist Arguably the Best Old School Organist in Rochester.

Thats kinda whack.........................just by the story I almost know who you are talkin about
Keep It Funky

Runs_N_12_Keys

Thats kinda whack.........................just by the story I almost know who you are talkin about

If you were at that Edwin Hawkins Concert (Saturday) then you will know exactly who it is because he's the Organist there..

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

HAHAHAH YEAH DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I played for The Master's Touch.........EXACTLY who I was thinkin. Like 5 years ago I seen him do that to a drummer because the drummer wasn't playin in the pocket at all. If you can play you good but if not he be for the kill
Keep It Funky

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

People have underestimated me when it comes to playing and try to play over me because I play pretty much basic. I have seen younger musicians try to play every trick they have just to show off. Most times I ignore it. If you are confident in your ability you really are not worried about showing off.

Now this is it Doc!! This is what I do alot!!!   Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up