LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern jazz  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Tekena

• LGM Member

Modern jazz
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:36:28 AM »
Buddy

Can someone explain what modern jazz is and the chords associated with the -7-6-3-2-5-1 progression ?

Tekena

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

Re: Modern jazz
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:27 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "Tekena"....I'm sure that a member will attempt to assist you....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: Modern jazz & 7-3-6-2-5-1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »
Hey Tekena

I have tried both here &@ H&P 2 explain what progressions are.
the 7-3-6-2-5-1 is just that....part of a song.

If U study a progression well enough, U know what sound should come out when you play it....(right now the 7-3-6-2-5-1 is ringing in my head :D)..

I believe it started off as a progression /sound in jazz, but then it has been incorporated into contemporary gospel,
as this link will show/ prove 2 U:

http://zone.hearandplay.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=500

go right to the bottom of discussion 2 find many midis ;) 8)

This is the best explaination of the incorporation of this profression in a somg i've come across...you will recognize it if U actually know how it sounds/ if U analyse the chords in the midi (the former is better ;))

As 4 modern jazz, i dnt propose 2 be a jazz guru, but i think when we talk of any music genre, we are really talking about the feel/ mood it creates (eg.. if i say blues, what do U imagine..don't U c a melancholic place/ some1, kinda gloomy etc?)

The same applies to modern jazz:

It is just jazz (before placing any category into the type of jazz, just try 2 think of a picture/ sound U associate with jazz..) now that's jazz 2 U..

The question now is : where does the word modern come from?
well, we have to know what was in the past to be able to differentiate and say this is modern jazz & this is old school.

So if we compare the jazz that new composers of this age are coming with,it certainly is different to the type of Bill Evans, Johnny Walker etc...I think their style was tending more towards classical, but it was still jazzy because of all those notes that create that jazzy sound (eg.. 7ths, Dom 7ths, #11s, etc).

But when we speak of modern jazz (in my untampered opinion) it is the sound of now, that wasn't prevalent in the times of the pioneers mentioned above.
It is the sound that every1 wants 2 play--contemporary---it creates that feel/ mood of its own..i can't explain it, but you know what it is/ know what it does 2 U...right?

That type of jazz that U know is jazz, but is not what Billy would've played, has a contemporary taste 2 it, that to me, is modern jazz.

I stand 2 be corrected :)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up