LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Hymns Do You Know?  (Read 8543 times)

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

Re: How Many Hymns Do You Know?
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »
QUESTION?!?!?!?!? How do yall go about learning hymns? ?/? ?/? ?/? I was at a church last night, and a lady started singing an hymn, and I was lost. She didnt know I was lost, but I knew. So to make sure that never EVA happens to me again. I GONNA LEARN MY HYMNS!!!!! So could someone shed some light on me. LOL! ;D

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

blessings101

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »
QUESTION?!?!?!?!? How do yall go about learning hymns? ?/? ?/? ?/? I was at a church last night, and a lady started singing an hymn, and I was lost. She didnt know I was lost, but I knew. So to make sure that never EVA happens to me again. I GONNA LEARN MY HYMNS!!!!! So could someone shed some light on me. LOL! ;D

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!
Well i can't speak for anyone else but i grew up missionary baptist and i learned by learning the basic melody of the hymns in my spare time and eventually comparing them to the notes in the hymn book and i fill in the hymn book notes for the parts of the song i didn't quite understand then I create my own style of supporting chords to the melody line.  It comes out the same as when anyone else plays the hymn but i just add my own style in there.  But it takes practice and concentration on lyrics of hymns for me, i have had quite a few times when someone started singing the hymn from a verse other than the first one and i got lost b/c i didn't know the words. so I take my 21st Century hymnal as a second bible even though, i play for a non-denominational church now, sometimes the bishop goes back and start up an old hymn, so hymns are essential to music no matter what denomination u play for... ;D however, be smart and learn hymns in EVERY key! (im still working on that part myself..lol)

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
Well i can't speak for anyone else but i grew up missionary baptist and i learned by learning the basic melody of the hymns in my spare time and eventually comparing them to the notes in the hymn book and i fill in the hymn book notes for the parts of the song i didn't quite understand then I create my own style of supporting chords to the melody line.  It comes out the same as when anyone else plays the hymn but i just add my own style in there.  But it takes practice and concentration on lyrics of hymns for me, i have had quite a few times when someone started singing the hymn from a verse other than the first one and i got lost b/c i didn't know the words. so I take my 21st Century hymnal as a second bible even though, i play for a non-denominational church now, sometimes the bishop goes back and start up an old hymn, so hymns are essential to music no matter what denomination u play for... ;D however, be smart and learn hymns in EVERY key! (im still working on that part myself..lol)
could you give an example of that? :) ?/?

blessings101

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
 ;D ;Dif a song is in Ab, I will learn the whole melody single notes in Ab, the take those single notes and turn them into chords, depending on what song it is i try left handed chords and due some single notes in right hand b/c im working on updating my left-handed chording techniques

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »
got cha ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up