LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YUCK!  (Read 1764 times)

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

YUCK!
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
I was at a battle of the bands this weekend, and noticed 2 bassists that was using a pick... it didn't look right or natural and i was grossed out... to me, it's just a lazy way of playing, i might be wrong though, i know some rock bassist like the tone but the ones that i'ved talked to just mentions that they can play faster and doesn't mention anything about tone.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Re: YUCK!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
It could be that pick players sacrifice tone for speed (I could see that in a rock band).  Or they compensate for tone by using effects or by dialing in certain settings on their amp or bass.

By the way, I think playing with a pick is yuck too! :)

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »
yeah, it's like driving a car with your feet. you might get to your destination, but it's just not natural...  :)

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »
Im also not a fan of pick playing. However, one thing that I have learned since I t started my bass journey is that everyone does what's best for them. I never used a pick b/c I've never seen a gospel bassist use a pick. Most rock bass that I know, are converted guitarist that play bass because of the need of the band. Therefore, for them pick playing is very natural and quite easier b/c of the larger string spacing on a bass.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »
Most rock bass that I know, are converted guitarist that play bass because of the need of the band. Therefore, for them pick playing is very natural and quite easier b/c of the larger string spacing on a bass.
And many will not admit to this! With someone who's always played bass, I would find it odd that they started out playing with a pick although I have heard some who start using one because of the clean percussive sound it can give.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:10:37 PM »
I was at a battle of the bands this weekend, and noticed 2 bassists that was using a pick... it didn't look right or natural and i was grossed out... to me, it's just a lazy way of playing, i might be wrong though, i know some rock bassist like the tone but the ones that i'ved talked to just mentions that they can play faster and doesn't mention anything about tone.

There is nothing wrong with using a pick to play bass.  While it is not my prefered method for bass (and I am primarily a guitar player who uses a pick), it is just as legitimate as any other method or technique that can be applied to the instrument. 
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »
I think playing with a pick gives a different tone, and it's very common in rock.  I've seen rock bassists switch from pick to fingers and vice-versa depending on the song and possibly what tone they like.

There is no definitive guide to playing, so pick or fingers or feet, if you get the sound you want, then jam on!

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »
Playing with a pick is very common.  It's all about what the style of music calls for.  If you pay close attention to keyboards, etc.,  they usually have a patch the simulates the pick bass sound.  While the original poster expresses dislike for this way of playing, there are also those who do not like the slapping, thumping, and plucking style of bass playing that is common in the gospel style.  Basically it's to each his own.   
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
Ive actually heard a guy do some funk with a pick on bass and it sounded really good.  We have to realize the bass guitar is still expanding its horizons on techniques and styles.  As earlier stated, there are some that despise thumping/slapping, but its a technique that aint going no where.  Look at Vic's double thumb, or Billy Sheehan's three finger blaze.  I dont think we can place a boundary on what is allowed and what is not when the instrument is still developing.  Shoot, double bass was never meant to be played with just fingers, but its a pioneer of jazz.

yeah, it's like driving a car with your feet. you might get to your destination, but it's just not natural...

You lost me lol.
Praise Him!

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
yeah, it's like driving a car with your feet. you might get to your destination, but it's just not natural...  :)

For the record, I have seen someone drive with their feet.  In fact, they did everything with their feet.  This person had no arms.  No joke.  I've even seen a cat with no arms play guitar with his feet.

This is not him, but check this out.  Absolutely amazing.  Shows you what determination will get you.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
True, true, true... that's my lack of knowledge about the horizons of bass... i've seen someone played with a glass cub before on the bass,

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »
Think about it, one of the most heralded and respected bass players of all time plays with a pick.  He has always used a pick and will probably do it until he no longer plays bass.  That bass player is former Beatle Paul McCartney.  And Paul gets down when he plays too.  I love to hear him play.  I love his tone.

Hopefully this will not be deleted.  This is a respectable tune that will exhibit what I'm talking about. 

"Coming Up"

go to youtube and look for his video "Coming Up"

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »

i use to think like this...that is until i had a reveltion.

Some rock'esque type beats need a stead pace of 16th or even 32nd notes.

We have a jam band that plays here at work every thursday during lunch and we just started messing around and the song called for a long driving steady bass line.  I'm talking steady 16th notes for 5 minutes straight.

I could fully appreciate why some guys play with a pick after that experience.  You get a more even attack and would fatigue less. 

I have to admit that my forearm was tight afterwards.

There's now a special room in my heart for a pick...however you'll never see me using it at church...lol

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 03:07:06 PM »
Personally I can't sit and watch a person playing bass with a pick comfortably lol. Dunno why
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater
Pages: [1]   Go Up