LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DP customs bass  (Read 1335 times)

Offline jpeeze

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • ACT 2:38

DP customs bass
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »
I was thinking about getting a custom bass from them. I got a price quote that was pretty good for the type of bass I wanted and the wood. It was half the price of handmade bass with the same type of wood. Do not know if the quality of the the wood is good but they had some nice pic. of bass they have built for costumers. Any information dp would help.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Re: DP customs bass
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:13:52 PM »
I was thinking about getting a custom bass from them. I got a price quote that was pretty good for the type of bass I wanted and the wood. It was half the price of handmade bass with the same type of wood. Do not know if the quality of the the wood is good but they had some nice pic. of bass they have built for costumers. Any information dp would help.

Step 1:  Get yourself a bucket of popcorn and a soda
Step 2:  Get yourself a bottle of Tylenol or Advil
Step 3:  Go to Talkbass.com
Step 4:  Do a search on "DP Custom" in the Talkbass forum

Prepare to be entertained.

DP Custom has been a polarizing subject at Talkbass for years.  Some of Dave Pushic's early work left a lot to be desired.  He made pretty basses that photographed well, but were in some cases unplayable.  Word is he got better over time and there are a few over there that swear by their DP Custom basses.  There are a few DP basses that seem to stay in circulation because they get sold, the buyer doesn't like it or can't make it work and sells it again.

Now, again I will say that more recent reports indicate that Dave has significantly improved his quality over the years.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
I have a DP Custom 5 string and I love it.  ;D
Granted I did have to wait a long time for him to complete construction on my bass (14 Months). But in the long run when it was delivered I was more than satisfied.  I did not rush him or bother him I turned it over to God and he handled it. It came out almost exactly the way I wanted. There are a few things that I might change later on down the road.

Yes it is very playable, so much to the point of me not wanting to put it down. For the money and a lot of patients it was well worth the wait.

The DP custom is the one on the left.
Please click the link below for the picture:
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/media/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=91493&pos=-1760
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:18:55 PM »
Step 1:  Get yourself a bucket of popcorn and a soda
Step 2:  Get yourself a bottle of Tylenol or Advil
Step 3:  Go to Talkbass.com
Step 4:  Do a search on "DP Custom" in the Talkbass forum

Prepare to be entertained.

DP Custom has been a polarizing subject at Talkbass for years.  Some of Dave Pushic's early work left a lot to be desired.  He made pretty basses that photographed well, but were in some cases unplayable.  Word is he got better over time and there are a few over there that swear by their DP Custom basses.  There are a few DP basses that seem to stay in circulation because they get sold, the buyer doesn't like it or can't make it work and sells it again.

Now, again I will say that more recent reports indicate that Dave has significantly improved his quality over the years.

Peace,

James

+1

I've read some absolute horror stories on TB regarding DP's craftmanship and work ethic.  Make sure you do some extensive homework before putting down any cash...

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »
DON'T DO IT.

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »
DON'T DO IT.

You say that like you have had a experience with DP Custom.
Do you own one?
Have you ever owned one?
I'm asking this because I'd like to now.  ?/?
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline jpeeze

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • ACT 2:38

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »
Thanks for the help i will wait till i can afford a mtd, ken,or roscoe

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
You say that like you have had a experience with DP Custom.
Do you own one?
Have you ever owned one?
I'm asking this because I'd like to now.  ?/?
I had one of the 1st ( and 2 ) series of the DP Custom 5 string and the playability on both was dismal to say the least,and the finish was at best ok, but I've been informed that things has gotten better.........
Good for him

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
I've had mine for just over 2 years now and I love it. His work has gotten better. The hardest thing I have to do, is decide on Sunday mornings which bass to play. The Schecter or the DP custom.  :)
Usually the DP Custom wins. It all depends on the song selection for the service. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up