LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: desperate for help!!!  (Read 1094 times)

Offline zackbass

• LGM Member

desperate for help!!!
« on: November 19, 2007, 06:11:12 PM »
Hello out there fellow church bassist,i have been playing for my church for about 3 years,i was recently demoted from playing 4 sundays to 2 for my inability to learn new material quickly, i prayed to God and i have accpted my new role.My question is how can i get better it seems like i am going no where fast,i am a very basic player and i want to learn the fancy stuff like runs and fills and slap to be used tastefully of course,i know that this is asking a lot,but is there anybody out there that can help me,thank you for your time and god bless, also i would like to know other gospel bass players my e-mail address is zach1bass@hotmail.com :)

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

Re: desperate for help!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:35:03 PM »
Check out the: "all of uriahsmusic bass lines....."  post further down the page

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:45:26 PM »
There's a lot to this post, and there are a lot of options for you.   Here's something to chew on...

1) Get Lessons!

You probably feel like you've hit a wall because you have certain basics down, but can't go beyond that, and that makes it tough to learn stuff on the fly.  While it may seem like lessons will only rehash the basics, it's quite the opposite.  More on that later...

2) PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

...and practice even more!  Practice scales and basic excercises to build up your dexterity and familiarity with the notes you're playing.

3) Practice along with songs

Get something like a Tascam Bass Trainer (I think that's what it's called), KORG Pandora, or any other practice amp that will let you run a line in from your CD/MP3 player or computer.  Play along with familiar songs, songs that you've had a hard time with, or/and songs you've been wanting to learn.  As you do this, you'll probably find yourself identifying common progressions.

At this point, if you're getting lessons while you're practicing, you'll probably start recognizing not just how nice those fancy runs and riffs sound, but WHY they sound so nice and the theory and pattern behind them.  Those mundane lessons can become a real eye opener!  As you recognize these things, it becomes easier to practice them, put them together, and you'll start noticing things like "hey, this would sound good right here".  That's learning to improvise and the foundation for good groovin'.

4) Practice with your bandmates!

Even if you are capable of laying down the sickest grooves on the planet, if you aren't familiar with your bandmates and their playing styles, then even with your talent it can still result in a hot mess if everone is clashing.  Work with them as often as you can, and keep a good eye/ear on them to get a feel for their styles and tendancies.

You mentioned that you've been reduced to playing 2 Sundays, so I'm assuming that you have another bassist filling in on those Sundays.  If that's the case, make sure that you're watching and learning from/with that person.  During your rehearsals, talk to and work with the other bassist and try to learn as much as possible.

Just a few items to consider.  I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas for you.  Keep at it!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »
1.  Start off by keeping it simple.  Make sure you know the key and the progressions for all the songs.  When you demonstrate this at rehearsal you'll get more opportunities to play more songs. 
2.  Work on the extra stuff--runs, fills, etc., ONLY after you have completed #1.  A good investment will be a $20 cassette recorder so that you can practice against what is actually going to be played on Sunday.  It also gives you a chance to clean up any rough or trouble spots.

bassthumpa pretty much told you the rest.

Offline Gðñg§†a_Ñè®Ð™

• LGM Member
  • SISTER & I
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:03:35 AM »
Umm... Well You've found LGM!! From this site you can learn a lot trust me i should know. I use this site a lot and Youtube also it another good site. Then PRACTICE PRACTICE AN MORE PRACTICE. Riffs an fills will come just practice with your drum machine or download different tempos an practice with it, like I did.

God Bless

Jermaine 
They that humble themselves shall be EXALTED, but they that Exalt themselves shall be ABASE

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:16:07 AM »
...do you have a way to post a clip of you playing a song?

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:27:35 AM »
Hello out there fellow church bassist,i have been playing for my church for about 3 years,i was recently demoted from playing 4 sundays to 2 for my inability to learn new material quickly, i prayed to God and i have accpted my new role.My question is how can i get better it seems like i am going no where fast,i am a very basic player and i want to learn the fancy stuff like runs and fills and slap to be used tastefully of course,i know that this is asking a lot,but is there anybody out there that can help me,thank you for your time and god bless, also i would like to know other gospel bass players my e-mail address is zach1bass@hotmail.com :)

For slapping... Purchase Ed Friedland ultimate slap bass dvd, I believe Guitar Center carry's these.

I started slapping in one week, and i kept doing the excersices over and over until my muscle memory kicked in and i started doing it fluently.. honestly it took me about 2-3 weeks till i felt confident of slapping witout thinking...

Purchasing a loop machine is also very useful, doing a basic grove and finding different ways to solo over it...

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:09:42 PM »
For slapping... Purchase Ed Friedland ultimate slap bass dvd, I believe Guitar Center carry's these.

I started slapping in one week, and i kept doing the excersices over and over until my muscle memory kicked in and i started doing it fluently.. honestly it took me about 2-3 weeks till i felt confident of slapping witout thinking...

Purchasing a loop machine is also very useful, doing a basic grove and finding different ways to solo over it...

I recently bought this DVD, haven't gone through it yet but I keep hearing great things about it.  Maybe I'll sit down with it this weekend.

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
Welcome!!!

Well first of all i say

PRAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

AND

PRRRRRRRAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCTIIIIIIIIIIIICC CCCCCEEEEEEEE

and also,

since your here, as the guys have already said,

Uriah's videos are a great way to learn. I used them some months ago and have developed alot since.
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater
Pages: [1]   Go Up