LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "I'M A BEAST!!!"  (Read 7566 times)

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

"I'M A BEAST!!!"
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
... I must have heard that from our church's drummer atleast six times yesterday, when in actuallity, he, was no beast at all. So, he can play the shout fast enough to sound like the Kentucky Derby, He can do his fills so fast that he misses his cymbals 90% of the time, and the clincher is that he feels that because he can double-bass, with ONE FOOT  :o he is doing things unimagined in the world of drumming.

So my question to him was, " Can you read?" He said no, and also that, it's not necessary, yet he considers himself a BEAST. I asked, "Do you go to sheds?" He said, no... and that he never thought about going to any... I asked, "Which drummers do you try to pattern? What style are you looking for? What identity are you trying to posses?" Real talk y'all, the only drummer he knows is Spanky, and that because we live in Philadelphia.

I sat next to him the entire service in awe. Not because of his Beast-ness.. LOL, but because there are a lot of drummers out there, who think they are doing big things, because they may have conquered a couple of obsticles in drumming... But by no means, does that make a BEAST out of you as a musician of anykind. I see it in the younger un-seasoned drummers, who play for licks and fills, and dont know what POCKET means.

Now, I am a member of this church, and after six-months, I started coming to rehearsals more frequently. I am getting back into my own practicing routine, because I want to play again... But what do you all suggest I do with this guy? Do I try to teach him? Do I take him to SNL sheds to help him sharpen his gift? Do I try hooking him up with some real thorough musicians so he can be challenged musically? Or do I just sit here with this fool, and after every lick, he looks at me and says I AM A BEAST! and then he misses his entire next lick because he is gloating and throws the song off... like he did all 6 times yesterday?

I am wondering, because I dont want to cause friction. But ole boy need to know that there is a world of drumming out there that he knows nothing about...

Offline crazyfoot

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: "I'M A BEAST!!!"
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
wow he definitely needs to get out. I kno one thing he needs to humble himself. Personally doc i would say pray for him caus an indidvidual like that will never get call.I have ran across cats like that and i can recall asking one fella did he kno how to do doubles? This cat had no idea what i was talking about. Granted im not the best drummer my reading is limited(although im bout to get back in it) but i have a good understanding of timing,rudiments,and other technical/ musicaliaty and could break it down. In saying all this there are drummers like this everywhere unfortunately. Just pray for them caus this will be there only gig where they can say "Im a Beast". I would personally bring other musicians that play the same thing he does to show him that there nothing majorly beastly bout what he does.

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »
wow he definitely needs to get out. I kno one thing he needs to humble himself. Personally doc i would say pray for him caus an indidvidual like that will never get call.I have ran across cats like that and i can recall asking one fella did he kno how to do doubles? This cat had no idea what i was talking about. Granted im not the best drummer my reading is limited(although im bout to get back in it) but i have a good understanding of timing,rudiments,and other technical/ musicaliaty and could break it down. In saying all this there are drummers like this everywhere unfortunately. Just pray for them caus this will be there only gig where they can say "Im a Beast". I would personally bring other musicians that play the same thing he does to show him that there nothing majorly beastly bout what he does.

That brings me to my second point... On tomorrow night, I have a little surprise for him at rehearsal... We'll see who the beast is then...

Offline crazyfoot

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »
 ;D ;D 8)

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »
Don't do anything.  Someone will come along and make him look like he has no arms and one leg.  He sounds young.  When I was much younger I thought I was the best.  Until I got shown up by a female from Atlanta.  She was good.  I learned that I didn't know anything.  That taught me that I was not a drummer, but part of a band.  Just bite your tongue with this youngster and it will work itself out.     
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »
That brings me to my second point... On tomorrow night, I have a little surprise for him at rehearsal... We'll see who the beast is then...

I didn't see this until I had posted my response.  Can't wait to hear what went down.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »
Don't do anything.  Someone will come along and make him look like he has no arms and one leg.  He sounds young.  When I was much younger I thought I was the best.  Until I got shown up by a female from Atlanta.  She was good.  I learned that I didn't know anything.  That taught me that I was not a drummer, but part of a band.  Just bite your tongue with this youngster and it will work itself out.     

Cosign, i thought i was a beast until a friend recorded me playing.....yall know about that.....LOL!  Then i came to realize that i wasnt, and i had alot to work on......

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Well, there is a rehearsal tonight and there is another drummer coming to play. I cant attend unfortunately because I have streph(sp?) throat... and its like 28 degrees in Philly at 7 p.m.... so I will just have to hear about it.

Its funny because I NEVER said that I was a beast before, but I have put myself on a pedestal like I am all that, and I was all NOTHING :D Now that I have tucked my ego in, and checked my attitude at the door, and learned about the craft... now I can look at how I played in the past year and laugh at myself. I am actually glad that I was clowned the way I was, cause I was living in a drumming la-la land... I even have some youtube clips now, and a myspace music page!

Anyways, thanks guys... I will keep you all posted.

Offline DWMAJORPRALUM

• LGM Member
  • I LOVE GREEN

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 11:41:25 AM »
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IF HE'S NICER THAN YOU BECAUSE IF YOU THINK THAT YOU'LL NEVER GET BETTER AND YOU HOLD ON BECAUSE IF YOU FLOW UNDER THE HOLYGHOST I PROMISE YOU HE'LL BE LIKE WOW HOW DID SHE GET NICE. SO MARK MY WORDS.

drummin4JC

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IF HE'S NICER THAN YOU BECAUSE IF YOU THINK THAT YOU'LL NEVER GET BETTER AND YOU HOLD ON BECAUSE IF YOU FLOW UNDER THE HOLYGHOST I PROMISE YOU HE'LL BE LIKE WOW HOW DID SHE GET NICE. SO MARK MY WORDS.

?/? did you read the thread???

Well, there is a rehearsal tonight and there is another drummer coming to play. I cant attend unfortunately because I have streph(sp?) throat... and its like 28 degrees in Philly at 7 p.m.... so I will just have to hear about it.

Its funny because I NEVER said that I was a beast before, but I have put myself on a pedestal like I am all that, and I was all NOTHING :D Now that I have tucked my ego in, and checked my attitude at the door, and learned about the craft... now I can look at how I played in the past year and laugh at myself. I am actually glad that I was clowned the way I was, cause I was living in a drumming la-la land... I even have some youtube clips now, and a myspace music page!

Anyways, thanks guys... I will keep you all posted.

I've gone threw what you are going threw with my homeboy from school! He Though he was the best he told me that he knew he was one of the best in central Florida (all he knows is shout! he knows no musicians he does not know theory) I remember one day i told him to log on to Learngospelmusic.com and his response was "OH!!! i know all the gospel songs there is to know" I bit my tongue and i just let it ride! I act like i dont care about the way he plays!!!

Offline jtoomer

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »

HUH HUH HUH HUH HUH HUH????????????????????????? ?/? ?/?
Praise HIM with The LOUD Cymbals... LOUD!

Offline DWMAJORPRALUM

• LGM Member
  • I LOVE GREEN

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
i know that this qoute is strange but it's the truth even though allgrown up has streph throat.

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:19 AM »
i know that this qoute is strange but it's the truth even though allgrown up has streph throat.

W.I.T.N.H are you talking about? Your quote is strange whether I am sick or not.

Anyways, last night was murder. I actually went (against doctors orders) to rehearsal last night. And mone of my friends came to our Christmas choir rehearsal... LOL... Our BEAST tried to hold his own, and even though he got a very nice butt whoopin, his pride wouldnt let him even stop to take note... But trust me, he is feeling less BEAST-ly... LOL...

Offline DWMAJORPRALUM

• LGM Member
  • I LOVE GREEN

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »
OK THEN I HAVE ANSWERED MY OWN ?

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »

what was the question ?/?

Offline DWMAJORPRALUM

• LGM Member
  • I LOVE GREEN

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
when you said that he is gettin was tryin to hold his own but he got a very nice butt whoopin

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »
yea i didnt wanna start another thread about the same topic but, i was went to a practice monday and i sittin up there with the musician and all. wen they was goin over songs (slow and fast) the dude was WACK!!!! Now the drummer is a good friend of mines and I kind tryin to tell this dude, K.I.S.S {KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY} they guy was on a off the beat so much i dont even know if he know what a pocket is! That made me wanna jus push him off and play myself (even though i dont go to that church and the board player felt the same way).

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »

when you said that he is gettin was tryin to hold his own but he got a very nice butt whoopin

W.I.T.N.H are you talking about? Your quote is strange whether I am sick or not.

Anyways, last night was murder. I actually went (against doctors orders) to rehearsal last night. And mone of my friends came to our Christmas choir rehearsal... LOL... Our BEAST tried to hold his own, and even though he got a very nice butt whoopin, his pride wouldnt let him even stop to take note... But trust me, he is feeling less BEAST-ly... LOL...

Offline JonathanLR

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:47:38 PM »
i do this to myself all the time. showing off, saying im the best because im 15 and im better then everyone ive met, etc... i already know im not and theres people infinity times better then me. i know all glory goes to God and that im just an instrument used to glorify his name. but sometimes people come up to me and there like WOW JONATHAN YOU WERE BEASTING TODAY HUH?! and YOU WERE LIGHTIN IT UP! its nice to hear that and sometimes i get into my fantasy world that im the best and blah blah blah. im guess what im sayin is that if somebody told this dud(e) he was nice or something, it got to his head and now he wants to hear more and more. show him SSV2. that day i stayed home from school to watch it, i was....crying. Lil' Nick........ :-\ >:( :( ?/? .....
Jonathan

drummin4JC

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 09:51:25 PM »
DWMAJORPRALUM is this a joke man??? this has to be some kind of bad joke!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up