LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Say hello to my new (first) lead guitar  (Read 3166 times)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Say hello to my new (first) lead guitar
« on: September 16, 2004, 07:07:50 AM »
http://www.brownfloyd.com/gallery/displayimage--667.html

It only cost me about $100 dollars, since I'm learning. That's all I was willing to spend. I plan to take about 4 months to practice and learn some chords, then dive in and take it to church and start playing....

:D

Anyone have any pointers for a newbie guitarist? I know the notes...ok...I've been learning the bass, which I've been playing about 1 1/2 years now, mostly by ear. Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. I already downloaded some of Uriah's vids.... (sweet dude!)

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 09:17:09 AM »
As an organist and bassist, I'm sure you've probably got all the theory pretty much down.  That gives you a huge jump start.  From that, I would say to just get a chord book and get used to fingerings and such.  Playing the bass already, you will see the relation to your bass scales and guitar barre chords (the scales are "built" sround barre chords).  

You've already got rhythm, which is awesome, because that's the one thing I never could teach my friends when giving them little mini-lessons.  

I would say you have already jumped the major hurdles before you've even started.

Once I had my basics down (chords, changes, etc.) I really leaped forward by playing along with CDs, and in church.  Give yourself 20 minutes a day, and you should be playing in church in a few months, no doubt.

The only other thing I can think of is this: when my dad taught me my chords, he would show me 3, then he wouldn't show me anymore until I could change those at will with my eyes closed.  Now, this may have been some twisted pleasure thing for him, but it really helped me learn my shords fast.

Good luck, I hope we can help you along.

Offline Razzman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is good.........All The time

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 09:30:21 AM »
sweet man! I've been playin 25+ years and like any Instument, practice and be patient, all the stuff you already know I'm sure :D Just take it little by little and you'll always find new stuff to add to your bag of tricks. GUys like Uriah do us a Big Blessing. Also check out this web site  http://www.wholenote.com/ Its NOt much on GOspel but lots of Info on GUitar Licks and tricks and real basic stuff to advanced.

try these chords out....also mix it around for some pretty, and straight forward Worship    

G=3x0033

Dsus4/F#=2x0233

Em7= 022033

C2= x32033         (keep your ring & pinky finger planted on the D&G note
                             on the the 3rd fret and use 1st and middle finger to
                             make the chord changes) also strum all strings, and
                              deaden the stings marked x. Example on the G chord use your middle finger to play the low G note and (3)x0033 and layit across the open A string 3(x)0033  to deaden it.

God Bless and have a great day :)

Offline Razzman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is good.........All The time

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 09:37:40 AM »
Forgot to tell you, I'm just starting to learn keyboard, bro I have a whole new respect for that instument!!

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 03:42:02 PM »
Hey, B3, right back at ya', I'm wanting to pick up the Hammond (not literally--I'm not that much of a hoss).  I know a lot of my chords (but very sloooooowly), and I have my blues scales and stuff.  what's the best thing for me to do to start "using" that stuff?

Any input would be great (yes, this should be in the organ room, but I knew you'd be looking at this again, so I figured I'd hit you up first).

Thanks.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 04:23:45 PM »
If you already know that then you should be ok. The only other thing is learning to use the bass pedals. The way I did it was to just stop playing bass with my hands.

Offline E-Phrygian

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 07:27:06 AM »
nice guitar B3, is this a replica of Fender Strat?? it's got Utopia written on it instead.
I really like a guitar with a body like that. like it better than Gibson guitars. or double cutaways.
Hard to believe it only costs $100, is it second hand?
Pages: [1]   Go Up