LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help with scales  (Read 28818 times)

StooB

Re: need help with scales
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 02:51:57 AM »
This thread is gold dust :)

StooB

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
This is another excellent lesson by Scott showing how to learn & practice arpeggios, it's helped me loads.

'How to practice Arpeggios' Pt 1 - BASS LESSON with Scott Devine

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 08:28:33 AM »
Whilst I am getting on well with my scales, my biggest weakest is playing by ear and knowing which intervals to go to. Is there a 'best way' to learn your intervals? I use trainear.com which is good, but I wonder if people here have a better way to know your intervals  ?/?

Here is an excellent website that you can go to for ear training help as it pertains to intervals and more:

http://teoria.com/exercises/ie.php
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
Here is an excellent website that you can go to for ear training help as it pertains to intervals and more:

the amount of work I am going to get done today just decreased

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »

dang it I was doing good until I realized I could cheat

I was practicing identifying the perfect 4th or 5th. Well since it is only two options the program simply switches back and forth :(

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
dang it I was doing good until I realized I could cheat

I was practicing identifying the perfect 4th or 5th. Well since it is only two options the program simply switches back and forth :(

Aww Mannn!!! so I tried having three options

Major 3rd, Perfect 4th and Major 7th. Guess what order it went in :(

StooB

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
teoria.com is an excellent resource, yes it's easy to get lost in there  ;D

I love trainear.com, I think that associating songs with intervals really helps. If you start with just getting the major notes of the scale then training on the lesser used notes such as the minor 2nds and 6ths then it really helps. I get the program to stick on the some root note, get my bass in hand, and play the notes with it. It will take time, but I get a lot of notes right now when listening to music and guessing the intervals  :D

StooB

Playing in Modes, final lesson!
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
For those still not understanding modes, here's another video lesson.

Playing in modes is all about playing from a different position in the scale whilst playing in the key of the root note.

Simply learn the modal patterns of the major scale - start the major scale on the E string from your root note which is the 1st position of the scale, then learn the continuing scale from the second position which will be the Dorian position and continue onwards, the 3rd position is phrygian, 4th Lydian, 5th Mixolydian, 6th Aeolian, 7th Locrian.

To play in a mode, you have to have a chord of the root or key you are playing in (or a chord in that key), and then take that modal pattern scale shape down to the root note and continue to play that scale position, you are now playing in a mode. But as has been said before, learn the modal patterns on each position of the scale and then go on to playing modes.

Here's the video lesson:

Learn the modes in just 15 minutes - Part One (Very easy lesson)

hasan2023

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
I also suffering this problem and I also need help for this issue. But I got better solution from here.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
This video by Adam Nitti
is another good one..

Not just because its me, but alot of ppl seemed to be helped with this one:

Bass Lesson: Using Scales/Key to find licks

You know the funny thing is I just looked at that video not 5 minutes ago.. LOL!! I didn't know it was you ..but it is also nicely done and very helpful...
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline donnyragsdale

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
theres this awesome book called EADG4.com a guy buy the name of john falstrom. I highly recommend it.

Offline UnionBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
This is just awesome!
I am a self taught Bass and 6 string Guitar player. I've been playing with this talent since I was 10 years old. I had only really stuck to the Minor Pentatonic Scales w/Blues notes for almost all my playing style since I could "make it work" in most songs. I have recently took the bass up again for my church. I had done this before for sometime and then kinda strayed away a bit. All my fault really and long story short I just lost sight of what my calling is. So.. I am back and trying to do my very best to play for the Lord.

That said:
This thread and indeed the entire site has been a blessing. I am learning so much from the talented Musician's here. But I do run into an impass when playing with the band at church at times. How do I figure out what to play with a song i've never heard before? Do I just continue to run with the root notes? Or is there a trick that I can use to kinda liven it up a little? Also, i have run into issues when the keyboardist is running a bassline in the song we play.. is there something I can do to just compliment that? Any kind of direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and God Bless!

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 10:29:06 PM »
This may help...

You can download the file here:

Modes/Scales/Chords Chart

It is in a WINRAR file (a program similar to WINZIP) and I think you can use WINZIP to open the file. Inside there are actually two posters. One is the MODES/SCALES poster above and the other is a chord analysis chart. I made this for myself since I never really studied or took lessons so I wanted to try to wrap my head around some concepts. Hopefully it will help someone. There is a lot of interconnected stuff in the chart..

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 07:42:03 AM »
By the way .. those scales are all based on C but the interval relationships can be applied to any key and for those who may not know, to use this chart to learn the scales in the same key just apply the scales  to the main key based on the chart in the lower left.. with each mode starting on a successive step in the major scale..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up