LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Run or Begin a Successful Music Ministry  (Read 15635 times)

iam_jhaee

How to Run or Begin a Successful Music Ministry
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
  Hello,

I'm Jhae ( Jay ) Ray, Minister of Music and Media Technology Coordinator of Good News Ministries of Montgomery, Al.

I'm 18 Years old and I am full of the Anointing of Christ. 

I recently traveled to Orlando, Fl this month for a Pastor's and Leadership Conference with Bishop T. D Jakes.  While on this conference, I learned many new tips that should be implemented into EVERY Music Ministry, Music Department, or Music Team ( Whatsoever your's may be).  Today, I have chosen to share those and some of my own knowledge with you all.

How to Run and Build A Successful Music Ministry.

I : Prayer is the key!
- While on the conference, I don't think I heard anyone throw that out.  That disappointed me.  BUT maybe it was because I was late for the class or because I missed the class where they actually said that.  But Prayer is the first thing that should be done in the Music Ministry or Department.  Before you sit at the sacred Instrument that God has allowed you to be so anointed to play, you should be prayed up.  Upon arriving to rehearsal, I arrive 2 hours earlier than anyone else.  What do I do in this time?  I pray.  I sanctify the place of Worship before anyone can bring their spirits in.  How do you know that your prayer is reaching?  You should be so anointed and full of the Holy Spirit that there should be no question.  Ask God to cast away any spirit of Confusion, Anger, Hatred, Sorrow, or any spirit that is not of him BEFORE anyone arrives.

II : Know your function & Title.
- There is nothing worse in a Music Ministry than dysfunction.  In this Post, Many times you'll see me refer to YOUR Music Team as " Whatsoever you choose to be. ".  The Team at Good News is a Ministry.  A Music Ministry is identifiable from all of the Departments.  It is apparent when you have a MINISTRY or A Department.  Departments are more dysfunctional.  There is confusion and SOO much more going on in a department than there is Ministry.  Ministry is a " Round the clock " thing.  It continues even when the doors of the church are closed.  YES, often in Music Ministries there is a little dysfunction but Music Ministries don't usually fall out as bad as a Music Department.  I've seen departments get torn up over what color the robes should be. 
- A Minister of Music should be able to be identified from a Music Director.  Remember that Satan was once the Minister of Music in Heaven.  So you have to always beware of Wolves in Sheep clothing.  We, as Ministers of Music, should always stand out from the originals.  Our Lifestyles should represent a Minister of Music at ALL times.   I'm always in my armor and ready for Spiritual Warfare.  I'm ready for any battle that the world may bring to me.  That's because I guard my Anointing as a Minister of Music.  I have to beware of the arrows and spheres being thrown.  How do you know who you are?  PRAY & ask God to build your Ministry.

III : Relationships between a Pastor and Minister of Music.
- This was one of the classes at the Conference.  We learned that we are NOT to question the Pastor's Judgement.  If the Pastor says do this... you should do it.  Don't ask any questions.  Not " Are you sure? " not " really? ",.  The Pastor is the Visionary and you are the person who makes it happen.  Marcus Dawson, Minister of Music and Media Tech. Coordinator of The Potter's House, is a prime example of an extraordinary M.O.M to me.   The relationship he and Bishop Jakes have reminded me of the Relationship My Pastor and Myself share.  She calls me in the Midnight Hour and Many of times I spend 15+ Hours at the church.  We have rehearsals on Mondays and Saturdays at 6:00.  I try to be there early for Tech. Stuff and Media Stuff and After Rehearsal, she may say " I would really like to see this happen on Sunday.  Can I see these effects?  I want this scripture to play in the Welcome Video. "  So many nights I'm at the Church until 2 o'clock AM from Saturday rehearsals making sure that everything is in order AND still back at Church for Praise Team Rehearsal at 7 Am and there for Sunday School Working until 10 am service.  That's dedication and making sure the vision of God's Chosen ones come forth.  That's how a relationship between a Pastor and M.O.M should be.  Business and Friendship level.  My Pastor is my Mother.  I stay in an entire different city 20+ Miles from my church and I still put in the work along with my Tech Team and Assistant.  Respect from both Parties is what really keeps the relationship interesting.
*** Did you know that the Next Most Important Role from the Pastor's is the Minister of Music? ***

IV : Relationship Between A Minister of Music and a Music Ministry.
- You should NEVER lower yourself to the standards of your Music Ministry.  God has anointed you to be a Leader and the leader of his works.  This doesn't mean that you are to be snooty and stuck up.  Don't be someone that they hate, but you've got to learn how to balance your outside life and Music Ministry life from one another.  I love my choir members and many of them I consider my Brothers and Sisters INCLUDING my Musicians.  I have 5 Musicians under me.  A Drummer, 2 Percussionists, A Bass Player, and A Lead Guitar Player.  I am the youngest.  But it is the matter of respecting authority.  I could've done this at the age of 12 as long as I can show my anointing and stand my ground.  When it comes to dealing with my Ministry members outside and inside of church, I am one person.  Marcus and Jamar Jones, Executive Director of Music at the Potter's House, talked about when Bishop Jakes walks in the room, he is Marcus.  But when Bishop Jakes is not in the room, He is "Mr Dawson".  It's respecting of Higher Authority.   Another great tip we learned in the conference is you should never bleed down in your ministry.  Let everything bleed up.  If there is an issue in your ministry, YOU should know and you should be so spirit filled that you can handle in the most Professional Manner Possible.  The Pastor should NEVER have to take care of a small issue in the Music Ministry.  I know one of my biggest objectives is to avoid applying more burdens on my Pastor than necessary.

V : How to correctly dress and address your Music Mnistry.
- This is one of the biggest downfalls in Music Ministry.  How to dress them.  Lol.  You should probably Google this.  I;e: No Hoop Earrings.  Studs only.  No ruffles.  Skirt Lengths.  Male Jewelry. & Etc.

VI : Music in the Music Ministry.
- LAWD!  Some of the Music I've heard in the church Music Ministries.  EVERYTHING IS NOT CHURCH APPROPRIATE.  I stress this to my Music Ministry all of the time.  I am open to accept all suggestions that are suggested, but I know how to categorize Concert Music from Worship Service Music.  Example : Isaac Karee's " In the Middle of It " is not a song that I see being sang in a Morning Worship Service.  NO, every song does not have to be an old Baptist Hymn, but know your music.  I'll post a list later if you'd like for me to,

This is all I will post at this time ( I'm getting ready for Bible Study's Media Works now).  If you'd like my tips on my favorite topic, Praise and Worship, suggest anything you'd like for me to discuss with you.  I'm 18, but I can assure you, the spirit of God abides within me and I am on fire for God.

May God Bless and Keep You,

- Jhae, The Vessel .
  [/font]

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

Re: How to Run or Begin a Successful Music Ministry
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »
Good stuff!  A few of my choir and church members went down there. The anointing had to be something serious because we had a FRESH anointing in the atmosphere the following.

BTW, worship and prayer before anyone arrives seriously makes a difference in choir rehearsal!

Offline amstudiosproducer

• LGM Member
  • God Will Do Exceedingly and Abundantly
    • www.twitter.com/lilwondermusic

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
You could not of said it better, God bless you doc!!
" God Is Able, and He Does Exceedingly and Abundantly Above What We Ask For!!!!

drmusiqchild90

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
Love the tips...seeing a lot of what your talking about

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
Welcome to LGM.  There are some good points addressed. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline gospeluuke

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
Could you list some of the songs that are played in you ministry? You mentioned if anyone wanted them you had them available.

Thank you, very insightful.

God Bless!
Live love and act like a Champion!

Offline cogicpk3

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »
These are good tips.  Although, I am not new to music ministry, I am new to being the Leader of that ministry.  For a year 1/2, I have a lot of things go in this department.  And now, I completely understand why because of this post.  The members would rather deal administratively instead of spiritually on a lot of issues.  This has not worked so far.   I have been inspired to accept the change you mentioned in this post!  Thank you so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up