LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting/Hiring A Percussionist  (Read 7195 times)

Offline TheDuke

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Selecting/Hiring A Percussionist
« on: September 17, 2004, 04:24:08 PM »
I have never had to interview and select a percussionist/drummer in any music leadership capacity, but will have to soon.  During the interivew, musically, what type of questions should I ask, and during the audition, what should I listen for and/or look for.  Thanks for your help in advance!
Romans 8:28

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 12:17:09 PM »
What are looking for the percussionist to do? Are they to be a part of the church band or is this for something else outside of normal worship services?

Offline TheDuke

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 02:05:39 PM »
It's for church.  We have a bass player, pianist and me on organ.  We have an interim drummer, but are about to begin the process of hiring a permanent drummer.

Offline blessed1

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:08:15 PM »
I think all of the drummers on this site will agree: the most important thing u need to listen for is the drummer's pocket.  Can he/she keep the beat of what the rest of the band is doing without doing too much (fills, etc.)?  Also while your listening, see if the drummer is on your band's level.  Is the drummer advanced enough to do your band's breaks and hold down a church service?  Another important thing to consider is availability. Can he/she be able to make practices and what is his/her schedule? Just think if your pastor has to preach somewhere and wants the choir to go and support, I'm sure the pastor would want the whole band to attend. I think those are the main questions and issues you can deal with in hiring a drummer.  You want a honest and dedicated drummer that's in love with his/her gift from God.

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:00:44 PM »
yeah, blessed1. That was it exactly. If anything i think the interview would be more of an audition than a Q & A session. But definitely you want to know about availiability.

Offline TheDuke

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 12:37:16 PM »
thanks!  i appreciate the responses!

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 10:51:31 AM »
i couldn't agree more with the comments made by every1. however, i could care less how good a drummer/musician is if he/she is not anoited. because ultimately, its the anointing of God that makes the difference in the services and not "self"

Offline Bookerbaby

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 02:00:09 PM »
is this posistion available in baltimore Maryland if so my name is robert booker and i am trying to find a church job to do my ministry u can reach me at 443 857 2142 or on here
Pages: [1]   Go Up