LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Imma Drummer Who Also Plays Keys....."  (Read 2258 times)

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

"Imma Drummer Who Also Plays Keys....."
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »
Ok....LGM Drummers...here me out for one second. Im going to try and explain a problem that came my way without confusing anyone.... so pay close attention....

Now, where I stay at and go to church at, many of them are in the Army. One of our musicians is one of them who is often gone alot. Its really only two of us, (Me on drums and him on keys). Now the past three months he had to be deployed witch left just me to play keys. Now my skills are not close to what he has, but i do play (i can learn mainly choirs and praise songs, not to strong on congrational ones) just in case he does have to leave for long periods at a time.

For awhile our choir has been havin at lot of problems with attendents and other issues. At times i come to practice and I see them manly just talkin bout other things. I told my chior director that if yall goin to talk the hold time and not practice and come sunday yall get up to sing and everyone looking lost, im not goin to waste my time (AND GAS) to come all the way out here for nothing. (NOTE: I stay a good ways from the church)

This past rehersal, our pastor came to talk to us and put a stop to all the problems thats been goin on for a long time and wants to see a change for up coming year. So we all gave our opioions and said our comments and that was it. Now, one issue came up about "musicians" attendents, (WITCH IM THE ONLY ONE THERE SO IT WAS ABOUT ME) being a must when its time to play. "If your goin to come to church only on sundays, and not come when its time to practice, then you cant play on ANY SUNDAY!  >:(  >:( . So as other things was being said, i sat there wit my mouth shut and kept calm and went on home.

That next night was the church fellowship service for chirstmas. We all came out and had a good time in the Lord while the young people sang songs and others sing chirstmas carols. Now i went there, but DIDNT PLAY cause like i said, IM NOT THAT GOOD A T PICKIN UP SONGS AND PLAYING THEM. I NEED TIME and PRACTICE. So again... I didnt play. (NOTE: IMMA DRUMMER WHO HAS THE TALENT TO PLAY KEYS BUT NOT AS GOOD AS MY OTHER BOARD PLAYER)

Now as the night went forth, it was just so happen that our board player was gettin back  in town from overseas and came to church as a surprise to me and everyone else. I knew the past weeks back that he was returning that same night as this service. When i seen him, it was a big relief for me cuz i didnt have to struggle no more ALONE on sundays and we came jam once again like we always do!

When he came in, it was just in time for the choir to sing. So we got up and went to go play whatever they was gonna sing. (NOTE: IMMA DRUMMER WHO HAS THE TALENT TO PLAY KEYS BUT NOT AS GOOD AS MY OTHER BOARD PLAYER) So they sang , and we played and the service continued but now with music . Keys and drums!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Now....Watch this.....

After service, the choir's secretary came to me. She asked me... "Now why did get up and come play when Mack (keyboard player) came and played"?

I said "Cuz he asked me to play with him"
She saids "Well since you couldnt play when he wasnt here earlier, then YOU CANT PLAY ON SUNDAY!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
I said "Well alrite". and went home.

Now i dont know bout anyone else but, that in some kinda way didnt seem right. Yea, i didnt play earlier in the service cuz I DIDNT KNOW THOSE SONGS THAT WAS BEEING SUNG!
Yea, pastor did just tell us what need to be changed for next year, BUT not EVERY CHOIR MEMBER AND MUSICIAN KNEW ABOUT THE CHANGE IN RULES, therefore, THOSE RULES WAS NOT PUT INTO AFFECT IMMEDIATELY!  Right or Wrong?

Again I say...."IMMA DRUMMER WHO HAS THE TALENT TO PLAY KEYS (THEREFORE IM NOT REALLY CALLED A KEYBOARD PLAYER) BUT NOT AS GOOD AS MY OTHER BOARD PLAYER"

Question.

1. Do you understand the story? YES or NO

2. Was this the right thing to do, Yes or No? Explain your answer...

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: "Imma Drummer Who Also Plays Keys....."
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
Can the choir secretary make those decisions or should the choir director be doing that? Did you explain to your choir secretary, director and pastor that you can't play songs "off the cuff"? It shouldn't be held against you if you can't pick up on a song as they're singing it. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of keyboardist (on this website) that have to request chords to songs because they can't play on the fly.
Sounds to me like you should've been commended for stepping in when the keyboardist was away.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »
1. No.

2. The right thing would've been to post this in the MOM room or the Lounge.

;D

On a more serious note. I hope things get sorted for you. I believe you handled yourself well & commend you for that.

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »
Can the choir secretary make those decisions or should the choir director be doing that? Did you explain to your choir secretary, director and pastor that you can't play songs "off the cuff"? It shouldn't be held against you if you can't pick up on a song as they're singing it. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of keyboardist (on this website) that have to request chords to songs because they can't play on the fly.
Sounds to me like you should've been commended for stepping in when the keyboardist was away.
but like i said.... Imma drummer not a board player... I dont wanna feel forced into the position...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
I read most of of your post. It Sounds like a bunch of foolishness is goin on . I Think you should find a church with a serious  music ministry, where you can play the drums and have the ability to do keys  sometimes so you can grow in both areas. dont be discouaged that u cant pick up songs right away cuz some of these churches be singing some stange hymns. Keep prayin and practicing and workin on your ear which is what will hel u pick up songs instantly

I dont know about yall but I would never play for a church where the leaders and choir members are playing games, There are plenty of churches out there that would appreciate your services

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
People who don't play instruments never understand how it works.  But it sounds like you may need to roll to a place that prefers to minister rather than worry about what they think folks should be doing.   
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline SOUTHERN BELLE

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is so good, all the time.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 10:39:11 PM »
My first comment is; have you spoken with your pastor about what happened?

Secondly, it really doesn't matter what the secretary has to say the bottom line hangs on what your pastor establishes, and if he has supported what you are doing; then maybe God is strengthening you for a deeper place, and position.

Sometimes the easiest thing is to walk away, but it takes a very mature man, or woman of God to stand and receive your praise, and encouragement from the Lord.  Always ask yourself; why am I doing this?  If it is all because of him(the Lord), then all things will work itself out.

This is ministry 101, and no one likes to have to walk through the hard places, but if we can't walk in the hard places we will never graduate to greater levels. 

I have found God to be so faithful when I allowed him to take care of those who are playing games, or hating me because of the anointing on my life, and it seems to me that this could be part of the problem.  Some of those are envious of your giftings, and are treating you with disrespect because they have not allowed God to press them into new places.  I guess the question is are you ready for the new places God has for you.

I will continue to pray for you, and believe the Lord for strength in all that you have desired to do.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »
Wow.  Good reply, Southern Belle!
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:32 PM »

I dont know about yall but I would never play for a church where the leaders and choir members are playing games, There are plenty of churches out there that would appreciate your services

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!

People who don't play instruments never understand how it works.  But it sounds like you may need to roll to a place that prefers to minister rather than worry about what they think folks should be doing.  

Uh i didnt get that.... please explain more...

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »
Interpretation for you, CJKeyboardPlaya:
People who don't play instruments never understand how it works.

People who do play an instrument will assume that you should be able to play anything, nevermind that it's a learning process, especially at your skill level (an advanced moniker should have no excuse, in my opinion).  For example, you play keys (a little) - just because you play (a little), you should be able to pick up on hymn number 25 (or its obscure equivalent). 

But it sounds like you may need to roll to a place that prefers to minister rather than worry about what they think folks should be doing.

The above statement is self explanatory.  I'll pick up my check on Thurdday.   ;D
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
Ight thanks Jk!
Pages: [1]   Go Up