LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a little help...  (Read 771 times)

Offline SOUTHERN BELLE

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is so good, all the time.

I need a little help...
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
First let me say I am not a drummer, but I have learned when in need to find the source of your knowledge from the one's who know the subject the best.

So here I am; needing some advice from all of you experts.  I am the Pastor's wife of a church where I am also the MOM, and I have been having much difficulty with my drummer, and other musicians.

Our pianist, and base player are of the old school, and do not get into the new style of things.  But my organist, and my drummer are very young, and have a tendency to overly exagerate everything they play. 

If you can picture this; this past sunday I am trying to lead worship as my pianist, organist, bass player, and drummer are all trying to beat the other on being the loudest, and the fastest in the beat.  I put my head down with my eyes closed, and prayed God deliver me.  I pulled my voice away from the mic, and they all turned the volume down, and waited to see what I would do next.  Well, I threw my hand up giving them the sign to stop playing, and proceeded to sing without the music.

To be honest I wanted to go through the rest of the service without music, but I knew that was not the answer.  So here is my question.
I know I have to go to them, and try to speak to them about becoming unified in their playing, but what do I say to the young drummer.  He makes all of these rolls, and runs, and honestly gets us all off beat.  Do I say hey kid cool it, or what is the best approach to reach him without hurting him.

I appreciate any advice you all can give.  Thanks again, and God bless you. SB

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: I need a little help...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »
Have him sign up here. We'll sort him out for you. ;D

Seriously.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »
Have him sign up here. We'll sort him out for you. ;D

Seriously.

Hahahahaha, no lie about that...lol

On a more serious note. You need to call a musicians meeting and be nice the first time about it.

Let them know exactly how you feel about them playing and tell them it's not only affecting the sound of the music but it's affecting souls being brought to Christ. People don't realize it but music in church isnt just music, it's ministry.

Explain to them that it's not about them but that's it's about Christ and playing to his glory, and when you just playing for yourself you're not pleasing God.

Let them know that they have to be unified and that it's been frustrating you that they have not been. Let them know you have nothing against them as people, but that when they're on the mainstage on Sundays you can't accept that kind of behavior.

If it happens a second time or gets any worse, that's when you have to take a stern approach, and tell them their spots might be in jeapardy.

Check out the book The One Minute Manager, this book is about business, but it's alomost crazy how well it applies to musicians.

I hope this helps mama, God bless
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline SOUTHERN BELLE

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is so good, all the time.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:02:40 AM »

Hahahahaha, no lie about that...lol

On a more serious note. You need to call a musicians meeting and be nice the first time about it.

Let them know exactly how you feel about them playing and tell them it's not only affecting the sound of the music but it's affecting souls being brought to Christ. People don't realize it but music in church isnt just music, it's ministry.

Explain to them that it's not about them but that's it's about Christ and playing to his glory, and when you just playing for yourself you're not pleasing God.

Let them know that they have to be unified and that it's been frustrating you that they have not been. Let them know you have nothing against them as people, but that when they're on the mainstage on Sundays you can't accept that kind of behavior.

If it happens a second time or gets any worse, that's when you have to take a stern approach, and tell them their spots might be in jeapardy.

Check out the book The One Minute Manager, this book is about business, but it's alomost crazy how well it applies to musicians.

I hope this helps mama, God bless

Thank you so much for your suggestion, and I did exactly what you said, and God is bringing change to the group.  I also told our drummer about this site, and encouraged him to check it out. :)

This past Sunday things went so much better.  I just want you all to know that I truly appreciate the help, and the wisdom that you gave.  It was very profitable for our situation. 

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
Hey SB, in addition to what these drummers have already said, another thought to consider is perhaps either appointing a new MOM or naming one of the more mature musicians the assistant MOM.  That way, you shouldn't have to deal with that kind of stuff while you're leading P&W (or preaching/teaching/or handling other FL duties).
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 11:05:11 PM »
First let me say I am not a drummer, but I have learned when in need to find the source of your knowledge from the one's who know the subject the best.

So here I am; needing some advice from all of you experts.  I am the Pastor's wife of a church where I am also the MOM, and I have been having much difficulty with my drummer, and other musicians.

Our pianist, and base player are of the old school, and do not get into the new style of things.  But my organist, and my drummer are very young, and have a tendency to overly exagerate everything they play. 

If you can picture this; this past sunday I am trying to lead worship as my pianist, organist, bass player, and drummer are all trying to beat the other on being the loudest, and the fastest in the beat.  I put my head down with my eyes closed, and prayed God deliver me.  I pulled my voice away from the mic, and they all turned the volume down, and waited to see what I would do next.  Well, I threw my hand up giving them the sign to stop playing, and proceeded to sing without the music.

To be honest I wanted to go through the rest of the service without music, but I knew that was not the answer.  So here is my question.
I know I have to go to them, and try to speak to them about becoming unified in their playing, but what do I say to the young drummer.  He makes all of these rolls, and runs, and honestly gets us all off beat.  Do I say hey kid cool it, or what is the best approach to reach him without hurting him.

I appreciate any advice you all can give.  Thanks again, and God bless you. SB

To answer your question Id have to say fire everyone of them!!!!!!!   You said it was easier to lead when they had stopped....The most important thing is the flow of the spirit! If that is being hindered by musicians who are only self serving then they need to either sit out for a season or totally be fired!!! God with prayer will bring the right people or change the hearts of the ones you have now!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!
Pages: [1]   Go Up