LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Max Roach/Chris Dave  (Read 1205 times)

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

Max Roach/Chris Dave
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:02:25 PM »
...check out this clip of the Legendary Max Roach.  Before there was "Chris Dave and Friends", there was Max Roach and Friends.  Check out the Evolution for yourself...(1:08 Mark/First Link)

...you can hear the influences of Max in Chris Dave's playing which Chris actually honors.  You can even hear similarities in the way their toms are tuned. 8) 

...this is a prime example of why we need to learn our crafts History fellas and ladies.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Max Roach/Chris Dave
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 11:07:37 PM »
...I watch that Max Roach clip 5 times already and it's on point.  I got some good ideas off of that one. :o
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
Max Roach was the originator of that style may he R.I.P....Chris and Spanky are definitely influenced by Mr. Roach... Lil Jon Roberts is definitely influenced by Mr. Roach's approach to drumming....If you check out Mr. Roach's clips on youtube you will see that he is did a lot of what Chris and Spanky does now a long time ago...Chris and Spanky actually incorporated that style of playing into the church and R n B sectors.  Love goes out to Mr. Roach and his family...and love also to Chris and Spanky for putting their interpretation and flava to this style of drumming... Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline keydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:45:30 PM »
...Chris and Spanky actually incorporated that style of playing into the church and R n B sectors. 

I totally disagree, I mean I hope your not saying that they were the first  to Incorporate this/that type of playing.

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 03:08:19 AM »
I personally feel that Chris Dave, while influenced by Max, is coming from a different place.  Max Roach is compositional in the way he plays.  Chris has a more spontaneous, in the moment style of play. 

The two clips are linked in that the drummer is featured and there are a bunch of guys standing in front of a brick wall.  In Max's solo, he is playing repeating paterns and melody.  Chris is reacting and creating within the space.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 07:50:54 AM »

I totally disagree, I mean I hope your not saying that they were the first  to Incorporate this/that type of playing.

No, I am just saying they were some of the first to make it popular in the church and RnB sectors....Max Roach originated the style...Dave and Spanky were some the of the first introduced that style to the church and RnB sectors...Lil Jon Roberts was the first person I ever heard play like that in a church setting (a long time ago)..Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:25:12 AM »
I personally feel that Chris Dave, while influenced by Max, is coming from a different place.  Max Roach is compositional in the way he plays.  Chris has a more spontaneous, in the moment style of play. 

The two clips are linked in that the drummer is featured and there are a bunch of guys standing in front of a brick wall.  In Max's solo, he is playing repeating paterns and melody.  Chris is reacting and creating within the space.

Permanent   ;D

I agree.  Bad comparison Jstanky!   >:(

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 10:39:16 AM »
I personally feel that Chris Dave, while influenced by Max,

...that's the whole point to this thread Mr. juSe.  He honors Max in his playing.  That's the reason why I posted the two clips.  I didn't post them to compare but rather to show how Chris Honors Mr. Roach through his playing.   8)

...it's funny how everytime I talk to cats about Chris Dave, they don't know or forget that he is musically educated and well in touch with the late greats.

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 01:21:43 AM »

...that's the whole point to this thread Mr. juSe.  He honors Max in his playing.  That's the reason why I posted the two clips.  I didn't post them to compare but rather to show how Chris Honors Mr. Roach through his playing.   8)

...it's funny how everytime I talk to cats about Chris Dave, they don't know or forget that he is musically educated and well in touch with the late greats.

I wasn't trying to flame you, j.  At all.  But I do have a question.  Why did you choose Max as the cat that he was honoring in the tradition?  Yes, he is honoring Max in the tradition.  But he is also honoring Roy Haynes, and more over Elvin and Tony.  These are the two cats that have most influenced his playing.  And with more modern players like Tain.  Max is an influence for the tradition, not necessasarilly stylistically as a player.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up