LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: under rated ?love  (Read 8351 times)

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

Re: under rated ?love
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »
Now hear this.  Quest is good at what he does.  123,ABC.  That pays his bills.  Im happy for him but I dont play to pay bills.  I play for the adventure.  He is not underated.  He is a non-talked about drummer for a reason.  You never see him in anyone's top or favorite drummer's list for a reason.  Hence the fact that a thread like this even has to get started.  His image out-weighs his talent.  Just face it. 

Now, take Vinnie and put him with the roots.  Take Chris Dave and put him with the roots.  Take "The Bishop" Thomas Pridgen and put him with the roots.  Take Spanky and put him with the roots.  What do you get?  Go ahead and answer for yourself.

Now, take Quest and put him with Alan Holdsworth.  Then put him with Robert Glasper.  Then put him with The Mars Volta.  Then put him with Tye Tribbett.  What do you get?- Wait I wanna answer this...a disaster!!!   :D  :D

My point is, there are too many musicians who can do what he does musically and probably do it a lot better.  And by his particular genera of works, it seems as though he can only do one thing.  Hurray for Quest!!!  He is severly lacking in versatility and until I hear him step out of that elementary box of basic hip-hop drumming, then I cant personally rate him any higher.

And to Mr. Lumpkin, there is no need to challenge me sir.  I know what true complexity is.  Its............whatever ?love does'nt play.   :P 

Your ignorance suprises me, however there is no challenge to true foundation.  Dude on Drums, lets talk.  True complexity is what, Chris Dave, Spanky, Terry Bozzio, Elvin Jones, Terreon Gully, or Jeff "Tain" Watts?  Listen, complexity is nothing but a high form of simplicity.  And after that form of complexity is accomplished you move on to a higher form of simplicity.  Why is it that you can groove your complexity over Questloves simplicity?  And with or without you, he still stands solid?  How many samples have you submitted to Jay-Z, Common, Erykah Badu, or The Roots?  Here's a fact Trumpeteer / Writer / Grammy Winner / Arranger Roy Hargrove had Questlove on his "Hardgroove" album laying down some drum tracks.  Now, not coming against you, but if he saw his true musicality, then where are your "drummer rates and standards" built upon?
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »
Your ignorance suprises me, however there is no challenge to true foundation.  Dude on Drums, lets talk.  True complexity is what, Chris Dave, Spanky, Terry Bozzio, Elvin Jones, Terreon Gully, or Jeff "Tain" Watts?  Listen, complexity is nothing but a high form of simplicity.  And after that form of complexity is accomplished you move on to a higher form of simplicity.  Why is it that you can groove your complexity over Questloves simplicity?  And with or without you, he still stands solid?  How many samples have you submitted to Jay-Z, Common, Erykah Badu, or The Roots?  Here's a fact Trumpeteer / Writer / Grammy Winner / Arranger Roy Hargrove had Questlove on his "Hardgroove" album laying down some drum tracks.  Now, not coming against you, but if he saw his true musicality, then where are your "drummer rates and standards" built upon?

Troof
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Lildrummaboy66

• LGM Member
  • F L O R I D A G A T O R S

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2007, 11:47:01 PM »
Personally brothers, he is one of my favorite drummers! ;) Everyone has their own "claim to fame" as far as style goes, he just happens to be a highly sought after "hip hop drummer". ;D I felt the same way about him being an "a b c 1 2 3 type drummer until I learned a little more about his background and I had to change my mindset. :o
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 12:09:09 AM »

You are missing my point completely.  My focus is him being one diminsional.  How can he be considered underated when he hasnt done anything outside of 2 and 4.  Kick and snare.  Like I said, he's good at what he does, which is (in my opinion) much of nothing.  I dont want to be that drummer who can be easily replaced with the simplist drum programming.  Like I said, whats the point of immitating a machine?  How can you be considered great in that aspect?

And the more hip-hop names you drop, the more you support my statements.  Is that your goal Lumpkin?  Would you trade all of your jazz skills to make some major bread with Jay-Z?  I guess that would depend on the reason why you play.  And if you check my music page, you will see that I can attack a hip-hop groove as well, but if you keep listening, you will see that there is a lot more to me than 2 & 4.  My rates and standards are built upon.....Versitility.

And who cares if Roy Hargrove had him on a track.  If Quest wasnt playing jazz, then why does it matter?  He was probably still in his box of 2 & 4.  There is so much more to drumming than hip-hop beats.  Im not taking anything away from him but it is what it is.  He's not underated.  He's right where he's supposed to be.  In a box and outside of everyone's drum conversations...simply cause there isnt much to talk about! 

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:36 AM »
No matter what is said, D.O.D is going to do what he does.  Give his opinion.  It's very rare that he agrees with the majority.  Not that he has to.  So if he doesn't embrace ?uestlove as we do, then let him feel that way.  This is not the first time he has disagreed, nor will it be the last.  Let's not go back and forth.  Either way it goes, ?uestlove will get the calls that many of us wish for.   
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2007, 12:17:34 AM »
And about immitating a drum track.  There is nothing impressive about that.  And why would anyone want to do that?  Why would you want to take a human element and mechanize it?  Let an MPC be an MPC.  Drummers should be drummers.  Period. 

Also, with that being said, why are you sometimes referred to as "drumma-sheen" Sir?
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2007, 12:19:18 AM »
Also, with that being said, why are you sometimes referred to as "drumma-sheen" Sir?

www.myspace.com/drummasheen1

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2007, 12:25:01 AM »
You are missing my point completely.  My focus is him being one diminsional.  How can he be considered underated when he hasnt done anything outside of 2 and 4.  Kick and snare.  Like I said, he's good at what he does, which is (in my opinion) much of nothing.  I dont want to be that drummer who can be easily replaced with the simplist drum programming.  Like I said, whats the point of immitating a machine?  How can you be considered great in that aspect?

And the more hip-hop names you drop, the more you support my statements.  Is that your goal Lumpkin?  Would you trade all of your jazz skills to make some major bread with Jay-Z?  I guess that would depend on the reason why you play.  And if you check my music page, you will see that I can attack a hip-hop groove as well, but if you keep listening, you will see that there is a lot more to me than 2 & 4.  My rates and standards are built upon.....Versitility.

And who cares if Roy Hargrove had him on a track.  If Quest wasnt playing jazz, then why does it matter?  He was probably still in his box of 2 & 4.  There is so much more to drumming than hip-hop beats.  Im not taking anything away from him but it is what it is.  He's not underated.  He's right where he's supposed to be.  In a box and outside of everyone's drum conversations...simply cause there isnt much to talk about! 

Dude, if you would have checked out some of his interviews before you would have ran across the statement he made about him going to check out jazz drummers in New York, specificly Elvin Jones.  Wait, Wait, Wait, ONE-DIMENSIONAL????? Ok, did you know that Louis Armstrong the father of jazz and pop singing said that "Be-Bop" was not jazz.  So, does that make him one-dimensional?? The answer is yes, however Dizzy Gillespie who took the torch right after him into "Be-Bop" credits Louis Armstrong for his accomplishment of be-bop perfection.  Therefore, Dizzy took one mans foundation and carried it to the next dimmension of jazz so does that really make Louis Armstrong one-dimensional?  The answer is no.  You have to have true foresight of music to be able to make someones one dimension a universe, that's why people say music is so universal.  As the Egyptians stated "Personality without individuality is what we strive for" So, him being one-dimensional and not much to talk about serves what justice in music?
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2007, 12:42:43 AM »
Dude, if you would have checked out some of his interviews before you would have ran across the statement he made about him going to check out jazz drummers in New York, specificly Elvin Jones.  Wait, Wait, Wait, ONE-DIMENSIONAL????? Ok, did you know that Louis Armstrong the father of jazz and pop singing said that "Be-Bop" was not jazz.  So, does that make him one-dimensional?? The answer is yes, however Dizzy Gillespie who took the torch right after him into "Be-Bop" credits Louis Armstrong for his accomplishment of be-bop perfection.  Therefore, Dizzy took one mans foundation and carried it to the next dimmension of jazz so does that really make Louis Armstrong one-dimensional?  The answer is no.  You have to have true foresight of music to be able to make someones one dimension a universe, that's why people say music is so universal.  As the Egyptians stated "Personality without individuality is what we strive for" So, him being one-dimensional and not much to talk about serves what justice in music?

So youre saying that ?love was inspired by jazz?  I can respect that, but that does'nt take away from the fact that he's one diminsional.  It is what it is.  Jordan was not considered the greatest because he was only good at dunking the ball.  He dominated every aspect of the game.  My point still remains that there is a lot more to drumming than just 2 and 4.  Kick, snare and hi-hat.  If you want to go to the NBA and be the best blocker then so be it.  On top of that, I'll say, "Man he is the best blocker!"  But I will not say "He's a great player" because there is much more to the game of basketball than just blocking shots. 

And could you re-phrase your last question cause Im not sure exactly what youre asking?  And I'm not quite sure about the point youre making with the Egyptians statement either.  Wow!  You guys have to go through alot to justify calling ?love underated!  But whatever.  Agree to Disagree like Juse said.

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2007, 12:46:50 AM »
So youre saying that ?love was inspired by jazz?  I can respect that, but that does'nt take away from the fact that he's one diminsional.  It is what it is.  Jordan was not considered the greatest because he was only good at dunking the ball.  He dominated every aspect of the game.  My point still remains that there is a lot more to drumming than just 2 and 4.  Kick, snare and hi-hat.  If you want to go to the NBA and be the best blocker then so be it.  On top of that, I'll say, "Man he is the best blocker!"  But I will not say "He's a great player" because there is much more to the game of basketball than just blocking shots. 

And could you re-phrase your last question cause Im not sure exactly what youre asking?  And I'm not quite sure about the point youre making with the Egyptians statement either.  Wow!  You guys have to go through alot to justify calling ?love underated!  But whatever.  Agree to Disagree like Juse said.

Here's the bottomline, "Who's the Greatest Drummer?"  Exactly, they are all great in there own ways in support of one cause, true MUSIC from the inside bro.
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »
Here's the bottomline, "Who's the Greatest Drummer?"  Exactly, they are all great in there own ways in support of one cause, true MUSIC from the inside bro.

Toast to that.  True music from the inside bro.   

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2007, 12:58:29 AM »
He's never underrated he is pockett king hands down the man is so clean and solid if you didn't no his playing he sounds like a track playing ya'll remember erika badu song you got me writing by jill scott she did with the roots and at the end of the song that was bro ?uest love killing so never underrated one of my favorite top drummers

I'm not a drummer but that was one of the tightest grooves ive ever heard

Yall drummers are lucky, if we were to talk about a secular artist in any other room in LGM, the thread would be shut down right away

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 03:46:50 AM »
I'm not a drummer but that was one of the tightest grooves ive ever heard

Yall drummers are lucky, if we were to talk about a secular artist in any other room in LGM, the thread would be shut down right away

:-*
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »

I feel whatchu sayin bro.

Buddy Rich and Max Raoch and nem were great drummers depsite the fact that they only played jazz because of what they added to the music. You can't sit here and tell someone that hip hop drumming requires the same skills and persition as jazz, and big band drumming because point blank it doesnt.

As far as what Quest does Chris Dave, and Spank, Calvin Rodgers, and whoever else could sit down and do what he does if given the opprotunity. It just so happens that what they play requires more.

Someone mentioned earlier about puttin quest with Tye Tribbett, lets see how many of us say he's solid then.

He's good at what he does but I dont think he could fill the shoes of a Calvin Rodgers, oor Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, and that's just that. 
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2007, 08:10:43 AM »

Buddy Rich and Max Raoch and nem were great drummers depsite the fact that they only played jazz because of what they added to the music. You can't sit here and tell someone that hip hop drumming requires the same skills and persition as jazz, and big band drumming because point blank it doesnt.

He's good at what he does but I dont think he could fill the shoes of a Calvin Rodgers, oor Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, and that's just that. 

Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »

I feel whatchu sayin bro.

As far as what Quest does Chris Dave, and Spank, Calvin Rodgers, and whoever else could sit down and do what he does if given the opprotunity. It just so happens that what they play requires more.

Someone mentioned earlier about puttin quest with Tye Tribbett, lets see how many of us say he's solid then.

Exactly!  All those guys can do what he does, but he cant do what they do!  -well, maybe they cant grow their hair that long   ;D

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:30 AM »
It's nothing wrong with having a niche, and Questlove is not exempt from having one.
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »
It's nothing wrong with having a niche, and Questlove is not exempt from having one.

...you mean glitch?  Questlove definately has a glitch.

Nobody makes a big deal over something that everyone can do.  They just dont.

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2007, 08:25:43 AM »

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2007, 09:57:25 AM »

:D :D :D :D..man that was too funny..with all this being said i would to agree with SHEEN..and man i never do..and i dont even think that ? is GREAT at what he does,he is good at what he does,for the simple fact u can find a solid player anywhere,yes his grooves are hot and his snare and kick is SUPERIOR..but is that all that u have to offer...nothing more nothing less..i think its time for him to think outside the BUN...

GodsDruMmer..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up