LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Definition of a Psalmist  (Read 12015 times)

Offline smabrey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Definition of a Psalmist
« on: September 08, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »
Nowadays it seems that people call singers "psalmists" but to my knowledge, a psalmist is a person that writes sacred songs.

Anyone have imput on this? How do you define a psalmist?

Grace & Peace

Offline b2goods

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Definition of a Psalmist
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:05:52 PM »
I never looked up the definition.  Maybe I should.  I guy came to my church a few months back and prophesied to me and told me that God was going to take me beyond being a praise and worship leader and that I was going to be a Psalmist.

Offline smabrey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Definition of a Psalmist
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 12:59:42 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I just realized I posted this in the prayer room. My apologies.

Grace & Peace

JoyCH

Definition of a Psalmist
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 08:16:47 PM »
What is a Psalmist?

King James Bible defines a Psalmist is a person who sing religious songs or reads poems in worship or in private devotions.

An Internet definition states, "The Book of Psalms, the 150 psalms of the Hebrew Bible, is recognized as the most famous collection of religious poetry. The psalms are traditionally associated with King David. While his authorship of all of them is unlikely -- some psalms reflect events which occurred subsequent to David's life in the tenth century B.C.E. -- his connection to psalms remains very strong. David was thought to have encouraged psalm singers during the First Temple period; he is described in the Bible as a player of the lyre; he is identified as the "sweet singer of Israel.

Psalms have become a permanent part of our worship and are written in a wide variety of literary styles. Their length varies. Psalm 117, part of the Hallel prayers recited during the Pilgrimage Festivals, is a scant two verses. Psalm 119 is an acrostic which includes 176 verses. The twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet each begin eight verses. During traditional Jewish morning worship a specific psalm is associated with and read for each day of the week. Psalm 23, "The Lord Is My Shepherd; I Shall Not Want," is a standard part of funerals and memorial services.

The Hebrew name for Psalms is Tehillim. The root of the word means praise. The psalms are a remarkable collection of poems in praise of God. They are poems which reflect the continuum of the human experience, from one person's relationship with God to the relationship of an entire community with God. They contain thoughts of anguish, praise, doubt, thanksgiving, compassion and longing. The words are powerful and sincere and able to be spoken by all of us. Psalms are a vehicle which has allowed people to express a personal and profound relationship with their God."

Hope this helps.
Joy
Pages: [1]   Go Up