LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician Prep Time  (Read 5592 times)

Offline demikoo

• LGM Member
    • Myspace Site

Musician Prep Time
« on: December 31, 2007, 06:14:09 PM »
I'm putting this question out here as both a musician and music ministry leader --

How much preparation time should musicians have in advance to learn a song before it is presented to the choir?  A week .. two weeks ... depends on complexity .. skill level??  I know its kind of a depends on the situation .. but as most musicians know .. directors sometimes get the impression that a musician should be able to pick up on any song regardless of how complex it is.  :-\

I'm trying to create a handbook for my choirs and need some opinions.  Let me know what cha think.

'Preciate

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: Musician Prep Time
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »
I'm not a musician, but I would guess that it should depend on the complexity of the song, and on the musician's skill level and/or ability to learn a song quickly.

If you're looking for proper wording, you might want to say something like, "music should be submitted reasonably in advance so that the director/teacher and musicians have sufficient time to learn the material.  Please be mindful that generally it will take 2-4 weeks (or whatever time frame works best for your people) for all parties to perfect the material.  In the event there is a concern regarding the time allotted to learn new material, the MOM (or whoever) will determine whether or not to proceed with the material on a case-by-case basis."

:-\  I dunno.  Just taking a stab at it.

I just spit that out, so you can clean it up however works best for you.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »

Some songs I can learn in five minutes and other songs it will take me hours to get perfect.
A lot of  choir directors dont realise how hard it can be to learn some of these complicated songs. I think that the musicians should have a copy of the song at least 1 or 2 weeks before they must play it.
of course this depends on the level of musician that you are dealing with and how well they read or play by ear.

for hymns, It shouldnt take long for a decent musician to learn one.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
I think the musicians should be presented with the song at least 1 week in advance
:)

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
I think the musicians should be presented with the song at least 1 week in advance

What he said.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

That would be nice. It rarely happens in my experience.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline terranb7

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:56:25 AM »
It depends on the ability of the M.O.M and how fast they can pick up, I believe out of consideration It should be presented at least 2 weeks because sometimes there might be other situations going on that takes president.

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »
Some songs I can learn in five minutes and other songs it will take me hours to get perfect.
A lot of  choir directors dont realise how hard it can be to learn some of these complicated songs. I think that the musicians should have a copy of the song at least 1 or 2 weeks before they must play it.
of course this depends on the level of musician that you are dealing with and how well they read or play by ear.

for hymns, It shouldnt take long for a decent musician to learn one.
Absolutley correct. This is true for most skilled musicians. If the musical staff is less capable, the lead time may be longer. ;)
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »
A month in advance. Minimum.

For big events of course. :P

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 10:28:05 AM »
I only get a week tops!  I am trying to make the MOM understand that I need at least 2-4 weeks to learn then song and all of the vocals.  I hate working out progression details with the rest of the band DURING Rehearsal!  LIFE happens, and I can't always get to a song and work it out well enough for my liking. So my opinion is at the very least 2 weeks, preferably  4 weeks. 

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 01:51:31 AM »
I mean I don't want to be redundant...but yea I think it depends on the musician's skill of learning the song or playing by ear ..and etc etc etc etc...but umm yea sometimes it's kinnda hard. This is what we do at my church....the director gives me a cd with like 10 songs on it...and says these are for the month and so I learn those songs for the month...so I don't have to learn every song in a week or whatever. That's easier for me . but umm Larue good job at revising his sentence... ::) :D
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
The church I play for now gave me a bunch of MP3s of some of the songs they do. But they be singing some wierd hymns that I've never heard . Many times I get the Song list At Rehersal on thursday nght and have to play them on sunday morning. But I'm on the organ and I'm not leading so its not really a big deal. If I'm not comfortable with the song, I'll just sit out or play softly

Sometimes my praise group will suggest songs during rehearsal and I will learn the song while they are singing it. some songs are easy like that. But dont give me no James Hall song and expect me to learn it in 5 minutes. I'll need at least a years notice b4 I will play one of his songs :D

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:17:29 AM »
I put out my songs a year in advance. It doesn't help. I'm the only one that takes the time to learn the material. When rehearsal time comes, neither the musicians nor the choir know the song.

Offline chosenandcalled

• LGM Member
  • I John 4:16- He that dwelleth in love...

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55:21 AM »
man i give my musicians about 2 or 3 months notice.. sometimes they give me songs to present to the choir at that present time. it just depends but really wait on the musicians to learn and get the feel of the song.
Chosenandcalled

many are called but few are CHOSEN......

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »
man i give my musicians about 2 or 3 months notice.. sometimes they give me songs to present to the choir at that present time. it just depends but really wait on the musicians to learn and get the feel of the song.

Hopefully they have no excuse to not have the song prepared :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »
I say at 2-4 weeks.4 easter i say a month
Shannon moore

Offline demikoo

• LGM Member
    • Myspace Site

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »
The church I play for now gave me a bunch of MP3s of some of the songs they do. But they be singing some wierd hymns that I've never heard . Many times I get the Song list At Rehersal on thursday nght and have to play them on sunday morning. But I'm on the organ and I'm not leading so its not really a big deal. If I'm not comfortable with the song, I'll just sit out or play softly

Sometimes my praise group will suggest songs during rehearsal and I will learn the song while they are singing it. some songs are easy like that. But dont give me no James Hall song and expect me to learn it in 5 minutes. I'll need at least a years notice b4 I will play one of his songs :D

Really ??? a whole years notice??  ;D

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »
I play for a prise team.....and there will be times when they would give me the song....the same night they teach the group the song.  So while the Sopranos are trying to learn their note.....i'm on the piano trying to learn the song.  At the church I attend, I won't teach a song unless i'm certain that either me or any of the other musicians know the song first.
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline brodonny

• LGM Member
  • THIS IS WIFEY.SHE'S FINE AND ALL MINE.AMEN AAAMMEN
    • donnypomerleegospelpiano.com

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:08 AM »
AT LEAST A WEEK OR TWO.
JESUS IS THE WAY.NO IF,AND,OR BUTS BROTHER AND SISTERS.AMEN AAAAAMMMEEENN

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member
  • May God continue to guide my heart and hands

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
Everything is in effect, the complexity of the song, the skill level of the musicians, and how often do the musicians rehearse, speak to your director, see if you can get the songs at least 2 weeks out, at our church, musicians have a separate rehearsal from the choir, and pray about everything
Life is:
God, Family and Music
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up