LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PAY FOR CHURCH MUSICIAN ?  (Read 12610 times)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

Re: THE PAY FOR CHURCH MUSICIAN ?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »
If you regularly receive a compensation, you can create a company and then write off any music-related purchases.  You can reap some nice tax benefits when you purchase a new bass, get a setup, buy strings or other equipment.

There are different ways to do it, and the easiest would probably be to set up a sole proprietorship.  Another way to do it is to set up an LLC.  I'm actually thinking about doing this myself.  If anyone is interested more into this, then feel free to ask me.

Right.

I suggest talking to an accountant, but you can deduct alot of things if your a company.  LLC's typically pay taxes on what they have left after business expenses a paid.  Some possible deductions, Gas money to church, gear, training resources, magazine subscriptions, lessons, if you have an area designated for recording or practice in your home, a portion of rent or mortgage.  Again I suggest talking to an accountant.

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
Right.

I suggest talking to an accountant, but you can deduct alot of things if your a company.  LLC's typically pay taxes on what they have left after business expenses a paid.  Some possible deductions, Gas money to church, gear, training resources, magazine subscriptions, lessons, if you have an area designated for recording or practice in your home, a portion of rent or mortgage.  Again I suggest talking to an accountant.

Indeed.  I also suggest doing some reading and research so you have an idea of what you have an idea (for your own good) what you're getting into.  Nolo (http://www.nolo.com/) makes some reputable books on all sorts of legal topics, including starting your own company.

Offline fusioncirrus3

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »
Im an on staff bassist at a church here in town.  I also play bass for (my church).  I accept no payment for playing at (my) church.  Now the other church here in town that does the tv thing, I get $600 a mth after taxes.  They do keep the books on taxes and pay the taxes for me and I get a W2 at the end of the year.  They basically offered me $600 after taxes & they put with $600 what it took to cover taxes.  My feelings are that I wouldnt except a dime for playing at (my) church.  Now if another outside of (my) church wants me to play at theirs & it doenst interfere with (my) church....then i'll play, but then the pay comes in.  For example:  (My) church has services thurs nite and sunday at 4pm......The other church I play at has church on Weds nite and sunday morning.  I'm also an insurance agent for AAA (mon-fri) so im a busy man.  I feel I have came to a point and need to get to the next level in playing bass.  I hope this site can help.  I really like the idea of this site......

aj
AJ Daugherty

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
Welcome to LGM Fusioncirrus3  :D
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline phatstrings

• LGM Member
  • ..dreaming about you.
    • Phatstrings

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 06:33:31 AM »

I get an equivalent of $170 per month.I double as MOM.So you might wanna say it's small.
  But the church has been a source of tremendous blessings to me.So the money doesn't matter
i shall not die but live!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
Fusioncirrus3 welcome.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 03:22:22 PM »
Here's my thing...

I played for almost 3-4 years without getting paid.  So I don't look for money when I played for different churches.  The church that I'm at now pays me regularly.  If a church wants to pay their musicians, I think that it's fine.

If you are not a full time musician, meaning you don't be at EVERY service and rehearsal, then you shouldn't try to negotiate the pay.

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »
For me.... nothing! get a £5- £10 every few months which is about $10- $20, and its classed as more of a love offering...
I tell u if we (my church musicians) were getting paid... i 4 sure wudn't be struggling with student life! lol.
But i've never questioned it... cos no musician has ever got paid in our UK branches (can't speak for the others, cos i dnt no)... and we all grew as musicians not being paid but getting love offerings... But the fact that i don't get paid doesn't interfere with my purpose to minister or the enjoyment i get from church.... but it would be nice to get paid! lol  :D

Offline rock1ent

• LGM Member
  • let your light shine

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
Hello LGM fam, I'm in a sense a new, just been laying back reading, learning studying you all. msgs, you tubes absorbing all the knowledge. I grew playing the drums in my church & then switched to the bass & they have yet paid us for it. And honestly hav' nt looked for anything.
Lord I put my trust in you

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 12:25:11 AM »
Hello LGM fam, I'm in a sense a new, just been laying back reading, learning studying you all. msgs, you tubes absorbing all the knowledge. I grew playing the drums in my church & then switched to the bass & they have yet paid us for it. And honestly hav' nt looked for anything.

Welcome to the Board Rock1ent

Offline Kmills0677

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • pressing toward the mark
    • www.psalmsofworship.com

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »
Hi I have been playing now 11 years I have crossed many preachers who think I ought to play for nothing because they state the fact the my gift does not belong to me. I tell preachers now that I have never been paid over a certain amount and above a certain amount. I have two kids; 2yrs and 10months. I used to feel bad taking money at first but now I realize that I am a Ministering gift and it deserves a love gift just like the preacher. Us Musicians give out alot each service  and I agree that there has to be some kind of compensation. I was in a service where I was paid maybe 10 a week. But I know now what i am worth and what my kids are worth. This is what God gave me to make room for me. Nobody else can make me feel like I dont deserve to be paid or that I am taking atvantage of his people because God gave me this as my bread winner. God Bless you all in your ministries.
Psalmist Kassy Mill

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »
My brother if playing Bass is your means of supporting your family then by all means do what you need to, but with that said ensure you give God back what is his meaning 10% of what ever you gross from your labor. For me I prefer not to be paid as I love to worship without the constraints of playing every week. sometimes I want to sit in the seat next to my wife and just be feed by the word coming forth. If I'm on the payroll its expected of me to play each week. But again different strokes for different folks just remember it must be about his glory because if we believe he will supply our needs.
Main5playah

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member
  • May God continue to guide my heart and hands

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
If you regularly receive a compensation, you can create a company and then write off any music-related purchases.  You can reap some nice tax benefits when you purchase a new bass, get a setup, buy strings or other equipment.

There are different ways to do it, and the easiest would probably be to set up a sole proprietorship.  Another way to do it is to set up an LLC.  I'm actually thinking about doing this myself.  If anyone is interested more into this, then feel free to ask me.
I would like to know more also
Life is:
God, Family and Music

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 10:15:46 PM »
At my church I been blessed by a $50 stipend, a week, but that is for any rehearsals, any programs, and 2 services a Sunday, and I make sure to get back to God what is his anyway
Life is:
God, Family and Music

Offline Rawbiznes

• LGM Member
  • My Home Girls
    • My Myspace Page

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »
Man, Ive made almost every type of money playing at a church. I started off making $75.00 a week when I 1st started playing when I was about 13, then when I was about 16, I was making $50.00 at another church,in between being on the road and stuff but the band was WAY better. Then went from that to making $125 per week at my home church. Left there bout two or three years ago, started making $200 at an even smaller church. Then I left there and stopped playin at church all together to hit the road. For the last year, Ive been making a minimum of $1000.00 a week @ church. God has truely brought me a long way. But Im soon to hit the road again, so thats about to end too. The pay scales differ, your resume means alot, and the size of the church.
Holla @cha Boi!,
Tim

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 06:07:39 AM »
Fusioncirrus3 and Rocklent, welcome, a lot of good conversation and advice on this site
Life is:
God, Family and Music

Offline Jmack

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »
I bought my bass for the soul purpose of playing at my church.  I also play at any other church whenever I get the chance. I've never asked for a dime, but my church decided to give me (and the other musicians) a love offering for playing.  The amount is small, but I don't worry about that because I'm not trying to pay bills with my bass.  I have a job for that.  I play for the glory of God and wouldn't trade it for anything.
"Make a joyful noise unto the world"

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
Well.......my Pops is da pastor and my mamas the MD so boi I wudnt get nuthn!!! lol
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up