LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6ths / 3rds Improv. Technique  (Read 6893 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

6ths / 3rds Improv. Technique
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
Here are 2 great improvisation techniques that will add some color to your playing:

6ths Improv. Technique

Anytime you see a theory term in this form (minor 6th, major 3rd), it refers to what is called an interval.  An interval is the distance between 2 notes.  The distance is measured from the bottom to the top note.  The number part is the general name, the other part is the specific name for the interval.  For more information on intervals, visit this link:  http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,30189.0.html (scroll down to where it talks about intervals)

Anyways, let's tackle the interval of 6ths.  The good thing about this technique is it uses only the notes of the major scale.  I'll show examples in the key of C:

C major scale:  C  D  E  F  G  A  B

The first minor 6th interval I'm gonna use is:  E-C

From then on, each note goes up in 1/2 steps until u get back to where u started:

E-C
F-D
G-E
A-F
B-G
C-A
D-B
(repeat up and down keyboard)

The great thing about the key of C is you can use the same 2 fingers for each of those intervals:  1 (thumb) & 5 (pinky)   You can run this all the way up and all the way down the keyboard.  Also, it doesn't really matter which one u start on or what order you play them in.

3rds Improv. Technique

This technique is gonna be the reverse of what you played above.  So, instead of playing the notes E-C, were going to play C-E, etc.  Just like the 6ths technique, you will only use the notes of the major scale, and each note goes up by 1/2 steps until you back where u started.  Here's the complete list:

C-E
D-F
E-G
F-A
G-B
A-C
B-D
(repeat)

If you play this correctly, it should sound like you are playing the Rugrats theme.  This technique is best used if the bottom note is played in the LH and the top note is played an octave higher.  You hear this being used in so many gospel songs it's ridiculous.

If I had some midi equipment, I could demonstrate how to use those 2 techniques.  Unfortunately, I don't so if anyone has any questions about this, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.  I'll provide some song examples where each of these techniques are used later.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: Minor 6th / Major 3rd Improv. Technique
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »
Thanx 4 post T-Block..

I enjoyed learning.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline tek_uk

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:20:47 AM »
Sounds interesting. Can you be a bit more specific as to how/when you use this?

Do you mean that if for instance you were on a CMaj 7 chord, you would go up and down using this interval to construct a solo?

Offline terranb7

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »
Thanks T-block, now I understand a little bit more about the 3rd. and the 6th.  Can you help me out with something, I'm having problems listening to a song and picking out the sections, and then when i finally do I have a hard time making chords to match the song, I don't know maybe its my ear because i'm trying to figure out the best way to train my ear so I will be able to hear the song and then pick out the soph. key and then the rest.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »
Can you help me out with something, I'm having problems listening to a song and picking out the sections, and then when i finally do I have a hard time making chords to match the song, I don't know maybe its my ear because i'm trying to figure out the best way to train my ear so I will be able to hear the song and then pick out the soph. key and then the rest.

Are you refering to choir parts?  If so, you have to stick with one voice and follow it through the entire song.  Then, start over and pick a different voice, etc. until you have all the parts written out.  Once you have all the parts written out, play them on the keyboard and they can give you an idea of how to play the song.  Music in songs is usually written to enhance the singing.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
I know i said that this 6ths / 3rds technique can be used for improvisation purposes.  It can also be used as main chords or runs for a song.  Here is an example of a song that uses the 6ths technique:

"Stand"  by Donnie McClurkin
Key of Ab  LH/RH

Intro:

(start high and go lower)
* / C-Ab
Ab / Bb-G
C / G-Eb
Db / Ab-F
* / F-Db
Bb / Eb-C
* / C-Ab
Eb / Db-Bb
E / C-G-C
* / C-Ab
Ab / Bb-G
C / G-Eb
Db / Ab-F
* / F-Db
Bb / Eb-C
* / C-Ab
Eb / Db-Bb

You see those 6ths in the RH?  Well, this is one song that uses them in the key of Ab.

Offline terranb7

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
Yes choir parts is what i'm in search of, if you know of any or any body that may be able to help me, material etc. please help.

Offline darkwing

• LGM Member
    • Free Gospel Resource

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »
These are, more correctly, 6th and 3rd techniques.  Not all the 6ths and 3rds in a Major key are minor or Major respectively (unless, of course, you're just pointing out that the first 6th and 3rd you start on are minor and Major respectively, in which case I'm very, very sorry for bugging).

6ths...
E - C minor
F - D Major
G - E Major
A - F minor
B - G minor
C - A Major
D - B Major

3rds...
C - E Major
D - F minor
E - G minor
F - A Major
G - B Major
A - C minor
B - D minor

However, this is still a great technique and I use it myself.  Just me being anal as usual.   :P
http://freegospelresource.com - Free charts, progressions, voicings, theory and organ resources.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
These are, more correctly, 6th and 3rd techniques.  Not all the 6ths and 3rds in a Major key are minor or Major respectively (unless, of course, you're just pointing out that the first 6th and 3rd you start on are minor and Major respectively, in which case I'm very, very sorry for bugging).

You know what darkwing, I didn't even think of that.  How did I let this happen? I just looked at the first one and ran with it.  That is totally my bad.  I should have said 6ths & 3rds Improv. Technique.  I'm gonna go change that right now.  Good looking out!!!  ;)

I apologize everyone for my mistake.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

Re: 6ths / 3rds Improv. Technique
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
Ok, I just thought I should just squeeze this in.

I already have a jazzy tune that I need to record.
It utilizes the 6, 3 & 4 bassnotes..

These are powerful.
Endless options ito application.

1 can create any type of music from these: from grooves, to talk music etc.

here is a simple example of what U can do with just the 6, 3 & 4:

below is a 6-3-4 progression on which I just expand for illustrative purposes:

Key of Bb

G/ G-Bb-C-D-F  (suggestion: play LH G with any mid finger, but not thumb or pinky..U'll c why ;))
D-D/ F-Bb-C, D
Eb/ G-Bb-D (hold for 2 secs), Bb,D

(repeat)
or move to

D-(D)/ F-A-C
G/ F-G-Bb-C-D
Eb/G-Bb-C-F
D/F-A-C-Eb
Eb/G-C-D-F
G/F-G-Bb-D
D/A-C-F try LH chord an octave lower than others sometimes
Eb/D-F-G-Bb

(repeat from top or mid)

hint: play each chord a couple of times, arpeggiating it for the best results.
       I added the second part of the progression just to illustrate the endless options of what 1 can do with the 6, 3,4 .

Another exercise which could be fun is to play around the 6, 3& 4 using only 1 chord in the RH, eg, the Bb+6 chord  (D-F-G-Bb)..just play the chord in different inversions using those bass notes
& c what I mean..

best wishes. ;)

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
Ok, I just thought I should just squeeze this in.

I already have a jazzy tune that I need to record.
It utilizes the 6, 3 & 4 bassnotes..

These are powerful.
Endless options ito application.

1 can create any type of music from these: from grooves, to talk music etc.

here is a simple example of what U can do with just the 6, 3 & 4:

below is a 6-3-4 progression on which I just expand for illustrative purposes:

Key of Bb

G/ G-Bb-C-D-F  (suggestion: play LH G with any mid finger, but not thumb or pinky..U'll c why ;))
D-D/ F-Bb-C, D
Eb/ G-Bb-D (hold for 2 secs), Bb,D

(repeat)
or move to

D-(D)/ F-A-C
G/ F-G-Bb-C-D
Eb/G-Bb-C-F
D/F-A-C-Eb
Eb/G-C-D-F
G/F-G-Bb-D
D/A-C-F try LH chord an octave lower than others sometimes
Eb/D-F-G-Bb

(repeat from top or mid)

hint: play each chord a couple of times, arpeggiating it for the best results.
       I added the second part of the progression just to illustrate the endless options of what 1 can do with the 6, 3,4 .

Another exercise which could be fun is to play around the 6, 3& 4 using only 1 chord in the RH, eg, the Bb+6 chord  (D-F-G-Bb)..just play the chord in different inversions using those bass notes
& c what I mean..

best wishes. ;) Nice!!! ;)

Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
Thanx Big T.

This is 1 progression I fall back to whenever I've gone completely blank.
There is so much to the 6,3,4.

Start to play/ improvise all the tunes you hear with your RH & alternate the bass on the 3,6,4.
Pages: [1]   Go Up