LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What you need to know  (Read 753 times)

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

What you need to know
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
hello my fellow musicans lets let the beginners know what they would need to know to be a great pianolist or keyboardist... Ima start off by let's them know that they would need to know how to listen....
Music is my Best friend

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: What you need to know
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:38:52 AM »
Thanx 4 starting the thread MemphisKeys.

I assume here U mean great GOSPEL pianists/ keys players...?

I sum all the things that a musician needs to know into 3 categories:

1) Know your theory.
---No matter how long it takes U 2 learn it, but at the end U must know it.

2) Know how to play in all keys.
---No matter how long it takes U 2 do so, so long as U know that that's your ultimate goal.

3) Enjoy what you are doing.
---Perhaps this is what's taken for granted by many intermediate & advanced players.

Discussion:

i) Theory is very very broad.
--There is the classics theory. (entails largely reading scored music & much more of course..technique counts big..)
--There is jazz theory.. (includes focusing on chord voicings, improvisation, modes etc)

--Gospel. .(gospel is very broad as well because before U can claim to be a good gospel keys player, U need to know the jazz theory on what I've listed above, to some extent you need the classical background as well..(some churches won't take you unless if U can read..eg..Baptist)
--I believe that U need to know your blues well to incorporate those filler runs in.
--salsa is another style to add.

If U find that U have mastered all this, then the next best thing to do is actually consider teaching/ helping others with the knowledge U have if U are not already.

You will find that this will make U discover new stuff & will rekindle the fire in U.
Who knows, U might end up compiling your own music book(s) / producing.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up