LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tone Deaf.....Is It Hopeless?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline rpking

• LGM Member

Tone Deaf.....Is It Hopeless?
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:56:54 PM »
Hey good people,

How do you all handle choir members who are tone deaf?  What do you all do?  Do you kick them out of the choir?  Do you tell them to sing softly?  What are your thoughts?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: Tone Deaf.....Is It Hopeless?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
Being tone deaf is not the end of your choir days.  Being tone deaf is just a challenge that one has to conquer.  One of our praise team leaders at church is tone deaf.  You would never know just by watching her minister.  She has mastered to where she works extra hard by memorizing notes and hearing the right things.  When she admitted that she was tone deaf, I was shocked.

As far as confronting the tone deaf person, you need to be truthful in love about the situation.  Let this person know that this is a problem.  A person who is committed to the craft would definitely take the extra steps and work to where they can conquer their vocal flaw and become a great voice in your choir.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:21:12 PM »
This one church i recently played for for about a year and a half the whole church was tone deaf and this is no joke i had to leave i couldnt take it no more i can see the concregation but the choir members too OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keyz 4 life

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:32:55 PM »
My pastor is tone deaf so when we sing we turn his mic off. And Dont even get me started on our praise team

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »
Some people are tone deaf out of their range...I stood next to one today, who more or less hit the melody in the alto but whose higher notes "missed the mark". There was also one low bass singer in our choir who had the same problem - he could match notes in his range when he was right next to another bass, but got confused when he heard tenor, alto, soprano parts...I think he got discouraged and dropped out...

Offline Angel4ever

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »
My pastor is tone deaf so when we sing we turn his mic off. And Dont even get me started on our praise team

LoL!! My pastor is the same way. I wish we could turn off his mic, but he would notice. My whole church is tone deaf. One reason for that is no musicians. It's really hard going to a church that is tone deaf, and two days a week I have voice lessons and sing in a community choir.  Singing has always been easy for me, but now I am very self conscious. I am afraid to sing the wrong note, so I end up singing the wrong note.  I have to work extra hard to listen and stay in tune with people around me. 

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:56:08 AM »
we have one in our choir who is tone deaf.  I'm not sure if he realize it though.  They gave him a song to lead...and he keeps doing all kinds of runs and stuff....but is all off key when he does it.  But he be feelin' it though.
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
LoL!! My pastor is the same way. I wish we could turn off his mic, but he would notice. My whole church is tone deaf. One reason for that is no musicians. It's really hard going to a church that is tone deaf, and two days a week I have voice lessons and sing in a community choir.  Singing has always been easy for me, but now I am very self conscious. I am afraid to sing the wrong note, so I end up singing the wrong note.  I have to work extra hard to listen and stay in tune with people around me. 

My pastor has a clip on mic and he insist that we turn his mic off during songs. My church isnt really a musical church either (thats why I left)

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »
we have one in our choir who is tone deaf.  I'm not sure if he realize it though.  They gave him a song to lead...and he keeps doing all kinds of runs and stuff....but is all off key when he does it.  But he be feelin' it though.
That's funny!!
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
Being tone deaf is not the end of your choir days.  Being tone deaf is just a challenge that one has to conquer.  One of our praise team leaders at church is tone deaf.  You would never know just by watching her minister.  She has mastered to where she works extra hard by memorizing notes and hearing the right things.  When she admitted that she was tone deaf, I was shocked.

As far as confronting the tone deaf person, you need to be truthful in love about the situation.  Let this person know that this is a problem.  A person who is committed to the craft would definitely take the extra steps and work to where they can conquer their vocal flaw and become a great voice in your choir.
Co-sign!!!!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »

Y'all sing along!  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Formuzik

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »
There is a difference in being pitch challenged and tone deafness.  From what I can tell, you guys are not dealing with tone deafness, which is when hearing loss causes one to not be able to distinquish any one tone from another.  They tend to sing monotoned or randomly go up or down without knowledge.  You hit the C note and they sing F#.  You play A, they sing F#.  That is tone deafness.  I deal with these people by asking them to serve as copiest, making tapes or cds for the choir members.  I have them work with me as administrative type people, which still keeps them connected to the ministry without them killiing ministry.  I allow them to sing with choir, but only on the back rows far from microphones.  But this also allows them easy access to slip out if I need something from the choir room or office.  It truly is a win-win.  I spend time talking with them so they don't feel like a stepchild.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
There is a difference in being pitch challenged and tone deafness.  From what I can tell, you guys are not dealing with tone deafness, which is when hearing loss causes one to not be able to distinquish any one tone from another.  They tend to sing monotoned or randomly go up or down without knowledge.  You hit the C note and they sing F#.  You play A, they sing F#.  That is tone deafness.  I deal with these people by asking them to serve as copiest, making tapes or cds for the choir members.  I have them work with me as administrative type people, which still keeps them connected to the ministry without them killiing ministry.  I allow them to sing with choir, but only on the back rows far from microphones.  But this also allows them easy access to slip out if I need something from the choir room or office.  It truly is a win-win.  I spend time talking with them so they don't feel like a stepchild.

That ain't going to work if your choir is only like 8 people!

Offline brodonny

• LGM Member
  • THIS IS WIFEY.SHE'S FINE AND ALL MINE.AMEN AAAMMEN
    • donnypomerleegospelpiano.com

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:21:43 AM »
CO SIGN.   VTGUY84
JESUS IS THE WAY.NO IF,AND,OR BUTS BROTHER AND SISTERS.AMEN AAAAAMMMEEENN

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member
  • May God continue to guide my heart and hands

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »
as stated before, some people will pick up the part of he person next to them, find the range of the tone deaf person, and put them in the middle of that section, it's only a suggestion
Life is:
God, Family and Music

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
...You hit the C note and they sing F#.  You play A, they sing F#.  That is tone deafness...
To me, it seems hopeless. If you can't recognize a difference in tone, how can you sing in tune?
... she works extra hard by memorizing notes and hearing the right things.  When she admitted that she was tone deaf, I was shocked...
This person sound like their not completely tone deaf.

Offline phatstrings

• LGM Member
  • ..dreaming about you.
    • Phatstrings

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »
To me, it seems hopeless. If you can't recognize a difference in tone, how can you sing in tune?This person sound like their not completely tone deaf.

I totally agree. If we agree on Formuzik's definition of tone deafness,then i'll just 'commission' such people as Hype men and women,helping with claps,howls and noises when needed.
i shall not die but live!

Pages: [1]   Go Up