LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: brass is important to gospel music  (Read 15994 times)

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I do it all for the Lord,

brass is important to gospel music
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »
As a brass player i think we sell ourself short. everyone always talk about the piano, organs, drums, and the guitar. but noone say anything about the trombones, the baritones, the trumpets and the Sousaphones. I think we all have a part in gospel music, yes the piano, organ, and the guitar dominate in gospel music. but in worship the sax is perfect, but in praise music the brass in can run the whole thing.
I played my Axe (trombone) during praise music and the saints was shock to hear a trombone play like that during a praise break. (I mean shout music) they love it, and sometimes when i didn't play some members will come to me saying they miss me up there today. to God get the glory. I want to see all my Brass playing brother and sister  shine in the Lord
Be Bless ;D ;D ;D
Lets save souls with the Lords music.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

Re: brass is important to gospel music
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:24:15 AM »
As a brass player i think we sell ourself short. everyone always talk about the piano, organs, drums, and the guitar. but noone say anything about the trombones, the baritones, the trumpets and the Sousaphones. I think we all have a part in gospel music, yes the piano, organ, and the guitar dominate in gospel music. but in worship the sax is perfect, but in praise music the brass in can run the whole thing.
I played my Axe (trombone) during praise music and the saints was shock to hear a trombone play like that during a praise break. (I mean shout music) they love it, and sometimes when i didn't play some members will come to me saying they miss me up there today. to God get the glory. I want to see all my Brass playing brother and sister  shine in the Lord
Be Bless ;D ;D ;D

Well go head brotha, play yo brass off! 8)

Offline Zen_Micro

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »
I totally agree, but one thing I can say and something that I did learn from my own experience is - don't worry about the recognition or the praises you get from other people or how someone else is being praised more than you.....as long as your there for the right reason and playing to the glory of God, that is all that should matter :). However, Instrumentalist are not recognized that much in my opinion. Recognized in the way of being a part of the ministry. I know at my church, I don't feel as though I am part of the ministry because I am always the last one to know about what is going on. I guess they believe that since I play a horn (it is an accessory to music to them I guess) that they think that they should deliver information to me when it is convienient for them ?/?.

But God is good, because in that process that I am experiencing even now, doors are opening up for me at other church's that actually want me to be apart of their music ministry.

Like TheBogO30 said, shine! Keep your heads up and keep playing whether or not people are praising you or not. Doors will open, just keep up the good work!!!!  :P PEACEEEEEEEEEEE  ;D
"Im pressing on the upward way, New heights I'm gain-ing ev-'ry day......"

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:27:47 AM »
Be Bless ;D ;D ;D
COSIGN! Im going to buy me a new trumpet next month.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:01:16 AM »
<----- wants to play the soprano sax

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:12 AM »
<----- wants to play the soprano sax

That's good, but always keep in mind, mama always said:

"You might play Soprano sax, but that still don't make you an Italian musician". 8)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »
That's good, but always keep in mind, mama always said:

"You might play Soprano sax, but that still don't make you an Italian musician". 8)

:D 

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
Sop Sax is a sweet instrument for ballads.  Not so good for all out screaming.  Alto is my weapon of choice as it sings above the choir lines during solo breaks and can be used to add harmonis value to anything.  Tenor sax is good but gets lost in the shuffle of sound a lot because of its tonality (unless you are a great altissimo player).  Now, the bari sax can rock the house in the hands of a master and is really fun to play.

In New Orleans, brass bands kick out the gospel on Sundays when there are no piano or organs around.  You can't march a B3 or piano around either.

Wolf
have sax will travel

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 12:54:08 PM »
as a keys who plays sax(little bit).I wish for MORE horn players.Where you all at?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
The problems:

a. Not many horn players, period.

b. Not many GOOD horn players. One can cover a mistake on the keys, drums, guitar; but, on a brass or woodwind instrument?  :o Not so much.

c. Too few in number. While a single sax player DOES work, the same can't be said for a trumpet or trombone (unless, you play like Gabriel  :D).

Other than that, get in where ya fit in, playa.  ;) :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »
I'm bout to take up learning the brass instruments this semester in school.  If I ever master or play one of those instruments decent enough, I will be adding that to our services.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
if you take up saxophone, let me know if I can help.  That is my forte...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
if you take up saxophone, let me know if I can help.  That is my forte...

I'll definately know where to come..
I always thought the tenor sax sounded good above the alto at church, but I'll come to you for advice before I purchase..& hopefully you'll be patient enough with me when I'm learning.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »
The tenor blends more but I personally like the alto.  Of course, I like to soar with obligato lines above the choir too!  so it really depends on what you are wanting to get as far as timbre. 

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
Thanks..
I'm spending more time listen to sax so I can decide what I like better.

Offline worf

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 02:40:23 AM »
Brass is very important to Gospel Music.
Today there is too much pathetic synthetic sampled stuff that just does not cut it.
I get dissapointed when I hear horns in a gospel song that just some junk out of a keyboard.
Nothing beats a real horn section.
there are things a horn player can do with notes that keyboard player can never duplicate!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 05:03:37 AM »
The problems:

c. Too few in number. While a single sax player DOES work, the same can't be said for a trumpet or trombone (unless, you play like Gabriel  :D).

I have to disagree with this part alone, We have one trumpet/cornet player and it works out just fine. Now when we used to  have 2 trumpets and 2 trombones it sounded awesome.

Offline RiaMykeil

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »
you speak truth brotha! lol but really, i want to play soprano sax sooo bad but for now im stuck with the clarinet... it's all good though.

Offline kalbert2006857

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
i play trumpet and i use my talent to the fullest

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
Hi all,

We've got a trumpet that's been sitting there and no one dares to touch. I would like to start playing it in a couple of months from now. Where do I start with that instrument? At least if I knew how the scales work and so on :-\
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up