LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We need to hear the "WHY?"  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

We need to hear the "WHY?"
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »
The story I'm about to share is shocking to me, but I'm sure we all have our own stories, or stories that we've heard. I'm sorry for the novel but this could be extremely beneficial to all of us who want to break into the music business.

One of my favorite bands is a local L.A. band called Reeve Carney and the Revolving Band. It's a weird, soulful, bluesy, funky, swingy, type of band, but I loooove there sound. Their drummer always caught my eye. He had it all as far as I was concerned.

I always check into there website and they were recently recording and working with a well known producer for their first album. I was looking through the pictures and I saw that their drummer, Gavin, was not there. I promptly sent an email to ask why not expecting to hear back from them. The lead singer and keyboardist both tour with Jonny Lang. Surprisingly, Reeve himself contacted me.

Here's the email.

"Hey there,

No Gavin sill lives in L.A. It's a long story, but unfortunately the producer's we had met with, and the one we eventually ended up working with did not feel that he would be able to do what he (our producer) needed to get from him, so he hired a session drummer for our album. We weren't to happy with that idea, but we knew that in order to work with this producer, Gavin would not be able to play drums for us on the record. We had a few of our other drummer friends play in front of our producer in the hopes that if we couldn't use Gavin, we could at least have someone with whom we had a personal relationship. And that's where we found Jon. He was actually the first drummer I ever played with. We were in bands together in Middle school. That of course didn't make it any easier for Gavin, but for the rest of us it made things slightly less depressing.

At this point, we are still feeling things out. Gavin was gracious enough to say that he would still play with us even after not having had the chance to go into the studio with us. So right now, we're playing shows with Jon and we'll see where that leads. Thanks for asking.

Reeve"

I've emailed him again to find out specifics. I heard this guy Gavin play, and I really thought his playing was amazing. But anyway, if you have a true story, POST IT UP. This will help ALL OF US prepare for the real world and business aspect of the music industry. It could most definitely help the younger drummers on this board adjust their eyes and goals to different things.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

Re: We need to hear the "WHY?"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:37:10 PM »
...dang that's crazy.  I'm going to share one but I'll put it on another thread cause it's crazy like this one.  I read it on MD and I was shocked.  Stay tuned.....

...as for this one here, maybe the guy wasn't disciplined enough to do the session or he just didn't quite fit the "atmosphere of the band."  Maybe the other guys feel for the music was better.  IDK. ?/? :-\ ?/?
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »
The story I'm about to share is shocking to me, but I'm sure we all have our own stories, or stories that we've heard. I'm sorry for the novel but this could be extremely beneficial to all of us who want to break into the music business.

One of my favorite bands is a local L.A. band called Reeve Carney and the Revolving Band. It's a weird, soulful, bluesy, funky, swingy, type of band, but I loooove there sound. Their drummer always caught my eye. He had it all as far as I was concerned.

I always check into there website and they were recently recording and working with a well known producer for their first album. I was looking through the pictures and I saw that their drummer, Gavin, was not there. I promptly sent an email to ask why not expecting to hear back from them. The lead singer and keyboardist both tour with Jonny Lang. Surprisingly, Reeve himself contacted me.

Here's the email.

"Hey there,

No Gavin sill lives in L.A. It's a long story, but unfortunately the producer's we had met with, and the one we eventually ended up working with did not feel that he would be able to do what he (our producer) needed to get from him, so he hired a session drummer for our album. We weren't to happy with that idea, but we knew that in order to work with this producer, Gavin would not be able to play drums for us on the record. We had a few of our other drummer friends play in front of our producer in the hopes that if we couldn't use Gavin, we could at least have someone with whom we had a personal relationship. And that's where we found Jon. He was actually the first drummer I ever played with. We were in bands together in Middle school. That of course didn't make it any easier for Gavin, but for the rest of us it made things slightly less depressing.

At this point, we are still feeling things out. Gavin was gracious enough to say that he would still play with us even after not having had the chance to go into the studio with us. So right now, we're playing shows with Jon and we'll see where that leads. Thanks for asking.

Reeve"

I've emailed him again to find out specifics. I heard this guy Gavin play, and I really thought his playing was amazing. But anyway, if you have a true story, POST IT UP. This will help ALL OF US prepare for the real world and business aspect of the music industry. It could most definitely help the younger drummers on this board adjust their eyes and goals to different things.

You have to remember, studio is a different game then live!!!! You can blaze live but if your timing is not flawless, or you cant calm down, and lots of other reasons then the studio is not the place for you.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
The machine is a beast.  Ask Pete Best.  He was the original drummer for the Beatles before they came over to America.  He was fired essentially because Ringo "looked cooler".

I also know cats that had to change their complete wardrobe and image to play in bands.  Even heard of cats that are technically perfect for a particular gig, but don't get it because they want specific look on a particular instrument. 

It sucks, but thats the game.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:01:43 AM »
This stuff is crazy! Tell me more about those stories. I want to hear why, because I think it could help all of us in the future.

Offline Pjhow2

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 02:30:10 AM »

YEZZURR!!! BIG Black drummer is right!!! Studio assignments are specifically for the disciplined drummer!!! I’m a up and coming drummer that focuses on musicianship Gospel Chops had a clip with Damien Hall!!! He broke it down the best!!! For cats like my self that are striding for this in our near future, Check out cats like Calvin Napper, Calvin Rodgers, and Nathaniel Townsly. HONESTLY, I noticed improvements after I STARTED ASKING GOD FOR HELP WITH MY DRUMS!!! GET ON IT CHALL!!!!   

Stay Blessed

Offline EricT

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:03:52 AM »
Most times the producer is the one calling the shots. I once did like 4 tracks for this guy...only to find that only two of them actually made the album....he said that what I did wasn't badd it just wasn't the feel he wanted for the songs....I was ok with it. Just as long as I at least got 2 tracks on it....
Proverbs 3: 5-6

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:09:46 AM »
The machine is a beast.  Ask Pete Best.  He was the original drummer for the Beatles before they came over to America.  He was fired essentially because Ringo "looked cooler".

I also know cats that had to change their complete wardrobe and image to play in bands.  Even heard of cats that are technically perfect for a particular gig, but don't get it because they want specific look on a particular instrument. 

It sucks, but thats the game.

Pete Best got a huge blessing a few years back when a CD of some of the Beatles' first recordings with Pete Best on drums was released.  He got a $40 million paycheck.  He was a P.E. teacher at the time.  I wonder if he still teaches the chillren? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
I wouldn't.  LOL!
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 10:44:19 AM »
I wouldn't.  LOL!

...for real. LOL 
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
My (future) chirren, my chirren's chirren, my chirren's chirren chirren, etc., would be set for life!
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

E.R.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »
My (future) chirren, my chirren's chirren, my chirren's chirren chirren, etc., would be set for life!
LOL.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
Thats like doing a Chili Peppers album without Chad Smith

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »
Thats like doing a Chili Peppers album without Chad Smith

But Chad Smith wasnt thier first drummer.  Jack Irons was the original drummer.  He resigned after Hillel Slovak died of a heroine overdose in 1988.  D. H. Peligro filled in for them until Chad was hired shortly before the recording of Mother's Milk.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
SOMEBODY SAID CHILI'S????    ?/? ?/?

GodsDrummEr... ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up