LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Who likes to play pocket  (Read 7275 times)

Offline dcdabassman

• LGM Member
    • myspace

Who likes to play pocket
« on: January 13, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
who likes to play pocket and why
personally I adore playing pocket because the vocal are better when the musicians playing pocket and the music is SO TIghtt
Use What God Gave You To Bless Other People
www.myspace.com/dcbassmtl

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Re: Who likes to play pocket
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »
I am a pocket player primarily because that's the way I was taught.  Also, we are a very traditional Gospel church who plays lots and lots of hymns.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
Old School Pocket player here! I can appreciate what the younger crowd likes to display but for me it totally distracts from the message I'm trying to listen and it further distracts me because I'm a bass player and I always listen to what the bass player is doing. I'd much rather enjoy the song as a whole.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
Old School Pocket player here! I can appreciate what the younger crowd likes to display but for me it totally distracts from the message I'm trying to listen and it further distracts me because I'm a bass player and I always listen to what the bass player is doing. I'd much rather enjoy the song as a whole.
Cosign.  I like bass players who add something to the song without taking the song over.  And in gospel lyrics are so important we shouldn't try to stand out about them.  Just my humble opinion.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "oh my God, I can't believe someone would ask this." But I understand the reason for the question. In today's musical world, there's a ton of bass players who don't play in the pocket. For me, I prefer pocket playing, but I do step out when it is necessary. The hardest thing to do is playing in the pocket.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Gðñg§†a_Ñè®Ð™

• LGM Member
  • SISTER & I
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »
Could you explain what is "POCKETING"/ "pocket playing"? ?/?
They that humble themselves shall be EXALTED, but they that Exalt themselves shall be ABASE

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:35:20 AM »
Could you explain what is "POCKETING"/ "pocket playing"? ?/?
Pocket playing is simply locking in with the drummer providing a solid groove without overplaying which quite a lot of the current crop of gospel bassists do. There seems to be a current trend with Gospel musicians (mostly drummers & bassists) who tend to overplay a bit and who like to show off their chops. Like I stated above, for me, it is distracting and takes away the focus of the song, which is the message. Now this is just my 'old school' opinion. I can take it in small doses. I tend to listen to the older artists for this reason.

Offline LowBass

• LGM Member
    • Bass Ideas

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:36:21 AM »
I try to stay in the pocket.But being an old school thumb player, not a slap and popper. Kinda hard to step out of pocket much.
 I've switched to my fingers in the last two months, can play more faster now.
I'm sure my playing have gone out of pocket with the new found speed and dex.

brotee

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
 8)I think a pocket player weather bass or drums is a disciplined musician, in that they have learned what makes the music Groove. A pocket player can also hear when and when not to stick a lick in the mix. Most of your CD's in any Genre are all in the pocket. This is done purposely when a producer music coordinator puts a song together. It's pretty much standard in the Industry, and they won't have it any other way. So it's best to accomplish this early in the game. It will prevent a lot of problems.  :)

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »
Love the pocket, old school at its best. I think when the drummer and bass are locked in it allows the other musicians to do their thing which is great but I love doing a little lick or something during that groove because then the audience wants more. All of a sudden they hear a run or lick or pop or something out of nowhere and then their attention focuses on the rythm section. Plus when people think of a song and hum it they usually are humming the bassline anyway.
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »
providing a solid groove without overplaying ...
There seems to be a current trend with Gospel musicians (mostly drummers & bassists) who tend to overplay a bit and who like to show off their chops
... a disciplined musician, in that they have learned what makes the music Groove. A pocket player can also hear when and when not to stick a lick in the mix

i think some organists should understand the concept of pocket playing too then, as u guys explained it, because some of them be overplaying as well, as if they were playing an instrumental solo with a huge bright spotlight shining on them in front of a packed stadium. LOL.

I love the pocket. i can stay there all day. i heard/read somewhere that as a bass player your drummer is supposed to be like ur best friend. that way ya'll know each other. you can pick up what he's doing and he can pick up what you're doing. a lot of times when somethings going on during service where the music is playing but not a particular song, i usually just listen to what he's playing and lock on to that, and we get a groove going that just cant be denied.

however there are times that i force myself to play out of the pocket so i can work on my musical phrasing, because there's not many things as frustrating is when you hear the perfect spot to play something and you dont know what to play or cant because you havent conditioned yourself to do so.

the great bass players can groove in the pocket and play something that'll blow your mind and still be in the pocket. and after you rewind that part like 10 times and learn what was done, its so simple yet tasteful and meaningful.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »
I think that's the difference in old school players and new school players. The older, more seasoned players know how to resist the urge to throw in that 'lick' some of you mention. Admittedly though, I will switch around the way I phrase runs and I may add an accent, here and there, when needed. But for the most part, I try to keep it straight. A little 'lick' here and there probably won't distract any and doesn't bother me much.

brotee

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
I think that's the difference in old school players and new school players. The older, more seasoned players know how to resist the urge to throw in that 'lick' some of you mention. Admittedly though, I will switch around the way I phrase runs and I may add an accent, here and there, when needed. But for the most part, I try to keep it straight. A little 'lick' here and there probably won't distract any and doesn't bother me much.

My Kinda Player  :)

Blessed to Kneel

brotee

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »
i think some organists should understand the concept of pocket playing too then, as u guys explained it, because some of them be overplaying as well, as if they were playing an instrumental solo with a huge bright spotlight shining on them in front of a packed stadium. LOL.

I love the pocket. i can stay there all day. i heard/read somewhere that as a bass player your drummer is supposed to be like ur best friend. that way ya'll know each other. you can pick up what he's doing and he can pick up what you're doing. a lot of times when somethings going on during service where the music is playing but not a particular song, i usually just listen to what he's playing and lock on to that, and we get a groove going that just cant be denied.

however there are times that i force myself to play out of the pocket so i can work on my musical phrasing, because there's not many things as frustrating is when you hear the perfect spot to play something and you dont know what to play or cant because you havent conditioned yourself to do so.

the great bass players can groove in the pocket and play something that'll blow your mind and still be in the pocket. and after you rewind that part like 10 times and learn what was done, its so simple yet tasteful and meaningful.

Oh so true!

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »
i love the pocket, that's is what's going to get a bass player hired...

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
I think I was born a pocket player lol.  I admit, I think I sound pretty horrible by myself, but put me with a drummer or a group, and Im CRUSHIN it!  When I play, I think "Lint ball".  Thats how deep in the pocket I like to be.   But Im also an ole school type player.  The more I listen to old tunes, the more I feel like I shoulda been born like ten yrs early LOLOL.  Thats just how my style is, greasy and simple.
Praise Him!

Offline Gðñg§†a_Ñè®Ð™

• LGM Member
  • SISTER & I
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies, but could someone give me a song where there is a lot of pocket playing?
They that humble themselves shall be EXALTED, but they that Exalt themselves shall be ABASE

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
I think I was born a pocket player lol.  I admit, I think I sound pretty horrible by myself, but put me with a drummer or a group, and Im CRUSHIN it!  When I play, I think "Lint ball".  Thats how deep in the pocket I like to be.   But Im also an ole school type player.  The more I listen to old tunes, the more I feel like I shoulda been born like ten yrs early LOLOL.  Thats just how my style is, greasy and simple.

i feel the same way when someone ask me to play something by myself, i get a little clueless and go blank and play something just whatever, but with a band or even just a drummer, i can create a lot of different things.

i need to start a thread bout this :)

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, but could someone give me a song where there is a lot of pocket playing?

To me, MO is an excellent pocket player.  He's definately busy but SO controlled that he don't sound busy at all until you try to play "any" of his work.

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 06:11:59 PM »
For real man, I love when a whole band is on pocket it,
an y'all can all feel the music an err bodies head just bouncing (lol) enjoying the atmosphere.. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up