LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: guitar strings  (Read 2194 times)

Offline docsmith

• LGM Member

guitar strings
« on: September 23, 2004, 09:23:38 PM »
Can someone make recommedations regarding brands and sizes of guitar strings to purchase. Being new to the guitar, how do I know when it's time to get new strings?

Thanks
docsmith

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

guitar strings
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 09:27:23 AM »
I like the steel and silk strings myself, but they seem to go out of tune quicker than the plain steel strings.

Be Blessed
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

.......HMMMM
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 09:39:06 AM »
....BASICALLY....I CHANGE MINE WHEN THE SOUND HAS DULLED A BIT...OR IF I SEE BENDS IN THEM.....THE NEWER THEY ARE ..THE BRIGHTER AND CLEANER THEY SOUND!...IF THAT IS NOT IMPORTANT TO YOU...THEN KEEP  A FEW EXTRA B AND E STRINGS AND CHANGE THEM WHEN THEY JUST LOOK HORRIBLE AND A TETNIS SHOT MAY BE NEEDED IF YA CUT YOUR FINGER ON THEM!....(HA HA).....IF YOU PLAY ELECTRIC....EARNIE BALL 10 GUAGE (LIGHT!) HAVE WORKED FOR ME FOREVER...THEY ARE GREAT SOUNDING, STRONG AND CHEAP!....IF YOU ARE THE JAZZY TYPE...ASK FOR FLAT WOUND LIGHTS!.....

AND CHECK OUT MY LESSONS AT WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

guitar strings
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »
For the past 10 years I have used GHS Boomer 10's on my electrics.  If you play a half-step low, or detune your top string at times, try GHS Boomer TNT (thin 'n' thick--10-52 I think).

For the acoustic I like GHS bright bronze 11's or 12's, or Martin SP 11's or 12's.

My electric slide guitars get Dean Markley 11's ('cause they come with  wound G--gives me a more bottleneck tone)

My acoustic resonator/slide guitar gets Martin 13's

Offline Razzman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is good.........All The time

guitar strings
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 01:07:07 PM »
I like d'addario 10's They stay in tune and last quite a while. Also uriah mentioned in a post somewhere, keeping your strings clean, I usually just wipe down with one of those yellow guitar cloths, this will help them last and keep the tone. :)

Offline mnewman

• LGM Member
    • http://

Strings
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 08:00:20 PM »
For the past 20 years or so  have used GHS Boomers custom lite ( 9-46)
Most string life is about 8 hours of playing time. After about a month I replace mine to have that nice crispy sound again....
Bless..........
Pages: [1]   Go Up