LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Just Starting Trombone  (Read 4013 times)

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/wutgodscallin4

Need Help Just Starting Trombone
« on: March 11, 2006, 04:11:33 PM »
Praise the Lord everybody,

I'm just now starting to play the trombone and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some things I need to know about the trombone. Anything will help, i actually just started playing today and i'm really interested. I found it in my basement and decided to just pick it up and learn how to play, so I don't know anything about it. My dad showed me how to blow it, but that's all I know, and that doesn't even sound good cause the notes are all over the place, and the tone is bad, lol. I need much help. Thank you all

Brian
Seven days without prayer makes one weak.

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

Re: Need Help Just Starting Trombone
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:01 PM »
In order to work on that good sound, I would first work on your blowing technique (embochure).  Wet your lips; put your lips together like making a smile; and practice blowing the mouthpiece first then transfer to the instrument.

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:55:47 AM »
Thanks man, I'll try that. I've been getting a little better at making a tone. I was fumbling through "I am healed" and "Everything to Me" yesterday and you could kinda of hear the melody, LOL. Thanks again for your help.

God bless,
Brian

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »
In addition, if you are just beginning, go to a local music store and pick up a beginning band book. This will have a fingering chart of all of the slide positions and will talk about how to truly form the embouchure and have pictures of what the correct embouchure will look like. Also, many books these days will have DVD's of someone playing. This will give you an idea of what the characteristic tone of the trombone should be. Also, don't forget to learn how to tongue (articulate) on the instrument. On trombone, you always use your tongue. Of course, if you don't, you will be  playing with all kinds of glisses in between the notes. (This is a pet peeve of mine.)

If you are past the beginning stage, then I would try to listen to as many trombone players as I possibly could. Now, the problem is, there arn't that many recordings of solo gospel trombone players. Therefore, you will need to be somewhat of a trailblazer. I would start by listening to the great jazz trombone players: J.J. Johnson, Bill Waltrous, Rob McConnell, etc. just to get an idea of what the instrument can do. Afterwards, I would listen to other instrumentalist like sax players playing gospel, Rick Braun on Trumpet, and whoever else I could listen to. Take what you hear from them and see if you can apply any of it to the situation you are playing in.

Above all, remember that music is an aural tradition. Listen as much as possible. Transcribe solos and buy as many CD's as you can. Start a collection of "licks" that you can use when you solo.

Hope that this helps somewhat, and good luck on your musical journey. I await the first ever gospel jazz trombone CD.

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:31:36 AM »
Thanks jremon. I got a trombone beginners book with the chart and slide positions, and it's really helping. I figured out the tongue thing, it really helps the starting of the pitch. I have been looking for some cd's to buy, and I've been having a hard time finding solo trombone players, thanks for the names you gave me. Are there any recordings of these players in stores, or do I have to order them online or something? Again, thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. One question, what is embouchure?

God Bless,

Brian

Offline ABOVEALL

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:51:06 AM »
Embochure refers to your lip positioning.  In music all pitches have to do with, simply put, big and small.  In this case, the larger the circumference of the opening made by your lips the lower the pitch.  The smaller the circumference the higher the pitch.  Try blowing through a drinking straw.  Huffing and Puffing will not do.  You must concentrate all of the air you are putting out into a hole that is smaller than the opening of the straw.  The amount of pitches you can play in 1 slide position is virtually limitless.  Of course the likelyhood of one playing more than 7 or 8 is not much of a reality.  I'm hope this is enough information to maintain you for now.  It seems that you are moving at a fast pace.

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:37:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the clarification Aboveall, much appreciated.

God bless,

Brian

T

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:08:29 PM »
Well the first thing you need to do is feel good about yourself, and i've been playing different kinds of instrument for 7 years now.
  Okay it starts off with you lips..
Like everyone was saying (Embochure it's all about the mouth of the lips) you a make your mouth to a smile while flating your chin and let you top lip kind of go over your bottom lip and if you do this right a sound will come out and it's called a "buzz'' if you buzz you can adjust you lips to how you want the note to sound. Well let me tell this first, the best thing to do is learn how to buzz you lips. You can practice that for like a week or so, but don't buzz so long that you make yourself get dizzy in the head, and when you learn how to buzz your lips, then you practice with your mouth piece, not with the horn yet, just you mouth piece, for like another week so you can no how it feels, and then when you get that all packed down. It's time for the horn, and when you are you ready to play let me know so i can teach you the postions of the notes.
 God bless  ;)

Offline blessedHORN

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »
Hey Cuz I feel you I am a Trombone player for my church and I was once in your situation. Another way to build up your embachure which is VERY important, is by having your teeth open while you play. I totally agree while that advice that the other have shared with you. I'm here to add to that. While you're mouth is formed in the "smiley face" position and your buzzing, this produces your sound... but the next step is to practice playing with a space between your top and bottom jaw about the width of you index and middle finger.  This is what I mean by playing with your mouth open... this allows your throat to be as open and round as possible which will in return give you a rounder deeper sound. (Ask any brass horn player, your tone quality is very VERY important)

Secondly, if you play with your diaphram you're able to push your air faster through the horn! This will also increase your tone quality! I would also suggest you play your chromatic scale from the lowest possible note you can play up to the highest note you can play. Add an extra note to the top and bottom of your chromatic scale maybe every week or twoof your practices. Also practice lipslurs (going up and down on notes without using your tongue, the notes are changed by mere embechure alone!) (Start low Bb,F, Bb, D and then back down all in first position... then proceed to do those 4note patterns for each position) This exercise will definalty increase your range and embechure strength as well as crispen your tone quality!

Let me know your progress,
God is Good, God is Love!
blessedHORN

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
Thanks blessedHorn! I can't wait to try these techniques! I am actually way better now than when I first wrote this post. I just start playing in March, and when I tell people that, they're like "WHAT?!" I give God all of the glory for my speedy progress over the past few months. I'm already playing in a band and arranging horn parts (from my experience with chords on keyboard, and arranging vocal parts). All praise belongs to God. THANK YOU JESUS! The highest note I can play now is that high C that's in the first position, only on a good day when I haven't been playing much, and my lips are at full strength. Thanks again, Be blessed.

Brian

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 02:13:10 PM »
Thanks blessedHorn! I can't wait to try these techniques! I am actually way better now than when I first wrote this post. I just start playing in March, and when I tell people that, they're like "WHAT?!" I give God all of the glory for my speedy progress over the past few months. I'm already playing in a band and arranging horn parts (from my experience with chords on keyboard, and arranging vocal parts). All praise belongs to God. THANK YOU JESUS! The highest note I can play now is that high C that's in the first position, only on a good day when I haven't been playing much, and my lips are at full strength. Thanks again, Be blessed.

Brian
Hey Congrats Brian, sounds like it's going well for you. Post some clips whenever you get a chance.
Keep Blowin!

Offline Myx

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 07:28:41 AM »
Hey, Brian!  Excellent selection.  There's nothing like the sound of a bone.

I see you started last March.  How's it going for you?  I started in church kinda the same.  I hadn't played in so long, I may as well have found the horn in the basement :)  With the skills I remembered and the drive the Spirit put in me, I started arranging charts for our section, too; but, I've only just started doing any good work.  It blows me away how God works sometimes.  Just yesterday, I was having a wicked bad day and, as I was driving home, a riff for 'Seek Your Face' started playing in my head and I rushed home to start writing it down.  Before I went another mile, though, I was smiling and praising and life was good again.  God knows what it is that keeps my spirit up, yesssah!

Be well, play well :)
It's on tha way...

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »
I just noticed your post, and by now, you're ready for some stuff that will help you the rest of your life.  Here's a few things to do:

1.) Get an Arban's Method for Trombone.  In there the book takes you from fundamentals all the way to an Arthur Pryor level of playing.  I can give you a few exercises out of the book once you get it.

2.) ALL brass players need to read up on and check out Arnold Jacobs.  He was the tubist with the Chicago Symphony for a long, long time, and his lectures are very helpful for any musician and more specifically, brass players.  There is a book he wrote, called "Song and Wind" and a CD of many of his lectures and playing called "Portrait of an Artist."  You can also find other lectures on sites such as TubeNet.

3.) The best way to improve on an instrument is to find a competent teacher.  You should check out local colleges and see if the trombone professor or a grad student is able to take you on.  Your improvement rate will likely double.

4.) One of my favorite things to do when I started playing was to read anything I found.  Learning to read music was like learning to read English all over again.  Every piece of music I came across, I read on whatever instrument I happened to be holding.  This not only improves your playing as a trombone player able to play something originally for violin, but it also dramatically improves your reading.  Read stuff in bass clef, treble clef, and transposing clefs.

Nick

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »
Welcome To LGM,  blessedHORN
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 03:19:28 PM »
Welcome To LGM,  Myx
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline Shelvin

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Hey Doc I'm just getting on learngospelmusic and pretty sure that your a beast in his own right. Everything that   
 I have read is excellent and being a gospel trombonist for some years now,i think i'm going to take some what I read and apply  because I got away from the fundamentals. The more you play and gig you just practice what you do in the gig, but thats my story. One thing you dont want to leave out are LONG TONES. those high notes that you might have problems with, play them as long as possible over and over. Please Please what ever you you do not make the mistake of pressing the mouthpiece against your lips to play the high notes. Its the speed of the air that helps with high notes not how hard you press your mouthpiece against your lips. So breath control is very important. what i do is speed the air by arching my tongue putting it closer to the roof of my mouth. Breath control is very important!       
Pages: [1]   Go Up