LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Biggest Weakness  (Read 3416 times)

Offline DatDrummaboy87

• LGM Member
  • Drums: My VEHICLE of MINISTRY....
    • Barnaby's Myspace

Your Biggest Weakness
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:27 AM »
Whats up ppl! What is the biggest weakness you have ever had or currently have as a drummer? How did you finally overcome it? If you haven't overcome it yet, what are you currently doing to overcome it?

My biggest weakness is and has always been my weak left hand. I am currently doing a lot of exercises out of the book , "Stick Control", by George L. Stone.
Your only obstacle is YOURSELF....

Offline Belial189

• LGM Member

Re: Your Biggest Weakness
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »
Since I haven't played in church or better yet drums in over 7 years since December, my biggest weakness (and still is) is being nervous. Once I overcome this then I'll be back to how I used to play. But I've been to about 3 rehearsals and played once on 3rd Sundays for the youth choir and the more I get back on the set, I get way better each time. Since my old drumset is no good and collecting dust in the attic, I can't practice at home. But I'm about to get a Gretsch drum set (see AVI). I have another rehearsal this Saturday and us musicians have to be there an hour early before it starts so I can try to brush off some of this rust.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »
My biggest weakness is nervousness too. Being able to let go and be me on stage is always hard for me to do because my choir director is so strict. Anytime I get gigs especially with college gospel choirs I do good, but I just don't do as much as I'm capable of because I try and hold back so I don't mess up...
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline Belial189

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
My biggest weakness is nervousness too. Being able to let go and be me on stage is always hard for me to do because my choir director is so strict. Anytime I get gigs especially with college gospel choirs I do good, but I just don't do as much as I'm capable of because I try and hold back so I don't mess up...
That's the same I do. I feel like playing a bit aggressive but then my lack of confidence holds me back to where I'm playing a simple beat. And the thing is, I'm playing in a drum booth that's mic'ed up so one mistake and the whole church will hear it. But the person who's in charge of the sound equipment told me to just relax more and I would get better.

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:29:45 PM »
mines would have to be the fact that my right hand and my foot are connected..anything my foot does so does my hand..but im doing lil drills to seperate the 2..at times its good and at times its not..like its good cuzz it emphesises the hi-hat when im playing.. but at times its too much... >:(....

GodsDruMmEr.. ;)

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »
This is a very good question.  I have MANY weaknesses on the skins, especiallly disciplining myself to practice new things, rudiments, etc etc etc  ::) :( :'(.  Another weakness is getting my right hand as fast as my left (I'm a lefty and I play open handed on a right hand set up). 

Ok so let's make sure to keep one another in pray that we break through these weaknesses  :)!!! 

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
That's the same I do. I feel like playing a bit aggressive but then my lack of confidence holds me back to where I'm playing a simple beat. And the thing is, I'm playing in a drum booth that's mic'ed up so one mistake and the whole church will hear it. But the person who's in charge of the sound equipment told me to just relax more and I would get better.

You hit the nail on the head with that one my friend...
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
My biggest weakness is Independance

...Im usally nervous for the first 5 minutes of playing but after I warm up, im good...

....When i was younger I was playing at a convention and i was doing double kick almost through the whole song service cuz i was so nervous and my leg was shaking like mad

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
My biggest weakness is just maintaining that desire to get better. Drums have always been something I could just do, and once you get to a certain level gospel-wise, even if you can improve ALOT, it's easy to sit back on your laurels. So, I'm learning how to play jazz. ;D ;)
Just play music...

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »
^
^
^
^
^
I'm with you on that. What I'm trying to do with this one is get more equipment. My gear is spread all over San Diego lol. I want to have a dedicated practice set at my house at all times. I want to hire Zoro to teach me drums when I can afford it. He teaches is Poway, which is about 40 minutes from me. He charges $80 an hour.

Independence. Stick control. I'm buying more DVD's to help with this...okay...I won't lie, I need to start studying the ones I already have that have been sitting around for months or years  :o

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »
Doing the exact fill that needs to be done (dynamicly) within the music.   ;)
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline LittleDrummerBoyy

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »
minds is nervious to and to learn how to relax more so my hands won't cramp up I don't have alot of time to pratice like I supose to

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
I dont always use the most effecient technique.  Some times when I do ghost notes, my fingers leave the stick!  I'm currently working on it.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 08:15:12 AM »
 Kryptonite!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 09:01:23 AM »
I dont always use the most effecient technique.  Some times when I do ghost notes, my fingers leave the stick!  I'm currently working on it.

...dude, me too.  My old teacher used to be on me for that.  He used to always tell me this: "Keep your fingers on the stick son.  If you could only keep that pinky on the stick."  :-\ ;D ;D

...anyway to contribute to the Thread, my biggest weakness is sticking to my "Practice Regiment (sp?)". 

...I hate getting stuck on something or being frustrated with something and then I end up playing something I already know. >:(
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline young talent

• LGM Member
  • young talent

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »
My biggest weakness was timing, i would do a fill but i would slightly speed up. What I've done to help with that is to play with a metronome and tracks and that has really improve my timing. :)

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »
...dude, me too.  My old teacher used to be on me for that.  He used to always tell me this: "Keep your fingers on the stick son.  If you could only keep that pinky on the stick."  :-\ ;D ;D

...anyway to contribute to the Thread, my biggest weakness is sticking to my "Practice Regiment (sp?)". 

...I hate getting stuck on something or being frustrated with something and then I end up playing something I already know. >:(

lol at that pinky!  But yeah man about getting stuck.  Man I feel convicted if I move on and I havnt conquered an idea that I came across.  It takes some serious discipline and dedication to stick with it until its right.  You can do it man.  Theres nothing to it, but to do it.  Speaking of which, Im about to post another practice vid.  Showcasing my pinky man!  I swear its got a mind of its own!  lol!   :D

Offline DatDrummaboy87

• LGM Member
  • Drums: My VEHICLE of MINISTRY....
    • Barnaby's Myspace

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »

im in a dilemma with this whole pinky thing....when i was a kid, i had this instructional tape (i forgot the name of it) that said that it is ok if you dont use your pinky.....i also watched this finger control video by dave wekl on youtube, and he was doing singles without the pinky on the stick.....now i come here and yall are talkin about keeping the pinky on the stick...what benefits do you reap from having your pinky on the stick? Man im confused....lol
Your only obstacle is YOURSELF....

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »

Man thats my biggest weakness too. I feel bad now I need to go practice... LOL!
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
...Wow!!!  I think that's everyone's weakness at some point.  All the drummers that I like have that "Pinky has left the stick" syndrome. LOL  I don't know.  I was always told that the speed comes from the last two fingers but when I do those "fast diddle ghost notes" I always find my Pinky watching the other fingers and not working. LOL  Lazy!!!

Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up