LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomas Pridgen / David Letterman  (Read 17514 times)

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

Re: Thomas Pridgen / David Letterman
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 06:55:41 PM »
OMG....Thomas.........dang....I'm pretty much speechless.....
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »
That'd be a He She.

A trans-gender it?
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »
He strait killed that. . . . wow.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 11:42:59 PM »
BTW i would suggest you guys download that off itunes or something its a single called wax simulacra and it sounds 100 times better mix wise and you can actually understand it.

its pretty dope.

Offline drmmrfolife

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 02:25:35 AM »
I was on suicide watch until that link was posted.  I slept right thru this last night. 

Now I am more and more anxous for next friday.  He will be in KC!
Hey man, me too!!  I fell asleep during the commercial before the came on.  You know I was heated when I woke up.  I was too mad to go back to sleep.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
Thomas' acrylic DW kit (high resolution photographs):

~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the pics J....
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline ojay16

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
That performance was banana's still.........Is he smoking a spliff in those pics? lol....

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »
Thomas went straight GORILLA on that joint!! What else can I say?
Love God. Live Long.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »
...hey I've been reading that a lot of Mars Volta fans say that he has nice fills but his "feel and grooves" for their music is not there.  They say Jon Theodore had way better feel than Thomas. :-\  I don't know this band but that's what I've been reading on different forums and even the Youtube clips. :-\
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »
...hey I've been reading that a lot of Mars Volta fans say that he has nice fills but his "feel and grooves" for their music is not there.  They say Jon Theodore had way better feel than Thomas. :-\  I don't know this band but that's what I've been reading on different forums and even the Youtube clips. :-\

Yea, I've read some things like that...STUPID!!! Theodore brought some things to the table, but Thomas is next level. What I those people have a problem with is Theodore was the man BEHIND the Volta Sound. Thomas has BECOME the Volta sound. Thomas takes the band to a new, and completely different dimension. Bottom line, his feel and groove are different than Theodore's but not at all inferior. If anything, they are superior. Certain Volta fans just can't handle Thomas being "the man"
Just play music...

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
Yea, I've read some things like that...STUPID!!! Theodore brought some things to the table, but Thomas is next level. What I those people have a problem with is Theodore was the man BEHIND the Volta Sound. Thomas has BECOME the Volta sound. Thomas takes the band to a new, and completely different dimension. Bottom line, his feel and groove are different than Theodore's but not at all inferior. If anything, they are superior. Certain Volta fans just can't handle Thomas being "the man"

Its hard to have a take on this issue because I didnt start caring about TMV until AFTER Thomas joined.  I'd listened to a couple of tracks and caught some of their stuff on youtube with Jon Theodore.  He is nice...  But no Thomas Pridgen.  This situation is the equivalent of Fred Hammond deciding to go with Calvin in stead of Marvin.  Be sensitive to the situation as it relates to something you can relate to.  Cats were (and many are still) up in arms about that move.  Thomas could play with the Muppets and I'd be ok with it. 

My 2 Abe Lincolns are on the table. 
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
Its hard to have a take on this issue because I didnt start caring about TMV until AFTER Thomas joined.  I'd listened to a couple of tracks and caught some of their stuff on youtube with Jon Theodore.  He is nice...  But no Thomas Pridgen.  This situation is the equivalent of Fred Hammond deciding to go with Calvin in stead of Marvin.  Be sensitive to the situation as it relates to something you can relate to.  Cats were (and many are still) up in arms about that move.  Thomas could play with the Muppets and I'd be ok with it. 

My 2 Abe Lincolns are on the table. 

Very true. Which brings me to another. I think Thomas brought a whole different approach to the old material; material Volta fans were used to hearing Jon play since he'd been with the for years. That is very comparable to the Fred Hammond situation as you mentioned, and is a ver valid point. However, I've heard some old TMV and they have headed in a different direction musically. This direction
Just play music...

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:58 PM »
Very true. Which brings me to another point. I think Thomas brought a whole different approach to the old material; material Volta fans were used to hearing Jon play since he'd been with them for years. That is very comparable to the Fred Hammond situation as you mentioned, and is a very valid point. However, I've heard some old TMV and they have headed in a different direction musically. This direction

My bad, pressed ENTER by accident :P. But as I was saying, this direction COULD NOT be taken without Thomas' prowess behind the kit. The energy, technique and sheer explosiveness are things that Theodore just does have in his bag of tricks. They designed a lot of their new material to put Thomas' skills on display. I can understand people missing Jon for the old music, but this new TMV needs Thomas. Jon couldn't hang...IMHO ;)
Just play music...

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »
yo, Funk, Imma try the Wife Beater thing on Sunday, I will let you know what happens.  ;D

***Warning***
This is just MY Humble Opinion: Thomas is the best part of the band. I personally, think they ****! Dont like the vocals. Dont like the the Guitar. Now, I haven't heard EVERYTHING of their's but what I have heard, Not impressed. As stated, Thomas is whats making them any good at all. I never really thought much about Thomas until recently. Wow.

(Remember, I am white, and know all about Rock/Grunge/Punk/Metal Music.  ;))

Dude, this is a very ignorant opinion.

This band is what it is because of it's ability to be completely creative, live or in the studio. Not because of their ability to be perfect in all aspects of music that YOU personally like and can relate to. Maybe you could relate if you understood, I don't know.

I'm willing to bet they are more honest on their instrument than most of us have ever been! They are playing that gig because their fans feel it.

I like their approach. Great musicians. They are what we all want to be as musicians, different. They aren't afraid to take risks in front of thousands, to speak their mind musically. That's a really cool thing.

Again, it's like a language. The Mars Volta isn't saying the same old cliches everyone expects. If you understand this, it all makes sense!

It's like the birth of gospel music. No one really understood the sound, and so many hated the sloppiness of it all except the people who understood where it came from and could relate with the emotion. The emotion of having nothing else but music to speak for you. This is what I mean when I say they are "honest."

I can instantly hear honesty in music, and mostly everything today lacks that quality. That's why a band like The White Stripes got so big. They cut records using 1 mic in a room sometimes. They captured honesty, and sold millions. Another band, Led Zeppelin.

I don't know what kind of response I'm gonna get from this, but more importantly I want to encourage you all to learn to listen differently. Let your guard down and really listen, it's makes it that much more enjoyable!

E.R.

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
Dude, this is a very ignorant opinion.

This band is what it is because of it's ability to be completely creative, live or in the studio. Not because of their ability to be perfect in all aspects of music that YOU personally like and can relate to. Maybe you could relate if you understood, I don't know.

I'm willing to bet they are more honest on their instrument than most of us have ever been! They are playing that gig because their fans feel it.

I like their approach. Great musicians. They are what we all want to be as musicians, different. They aren't afraid to take risks in front of thousands, to speak their mind musically. That's a really cool thing.

Again, it's like a language. The Mars Volta isn't saying the same old cliches everyone expects. If you understand this, it all makes sense!

It's like the birth of gospel music. No one really understood the sound, and so many hated the sloppiness of it all except the people who understood where it came from and could relate with the emotion. The emotion of having nothing else but music to speak for you. This is what I mean when I say they are "honest."

I can instantly hear honesty in music, and mostly everything today lacks that quality. That's why a band like The White Stripes got so big. They cut records using 1 mic in a room sometimes. They captured honesty, and sold millions. Another band, Led Zeppelin.

I don't know what kind of response I'm gonna get from this, but more importantly I want to encourage you all to learn to listen differently. Let your guard down and really listen, it's makes it that much more enjoyable!

As ignorant of an opinion it is, it still is my right to have my opinion, hence the reason I stated "This is just MY Humble Opinion." Once again, in my opinion, I find their sound very UNPLEASING to MY ears.

So my guard is down, and I'm really listening:
"Wax Simulacra"

Came back to tell yourself I broke in twos,
Define the puncture, when will I know to,
I found something to shake by the roots,
I come along to see what's in your room,
The Coma's spending time to answer you,
I need something laid out for him,

Am I waiting now,
Does my waiting howl,
Am I waiting now?
Does my waiting howl.

I bring an avalanche of taunted bones,
Contaminate your cravings if you choose,
To pray something then extra will spill
Whom after me form out a content high,
Inhale the vapors that will heal your smile,
Hope for something to shake by the roots.

Am I waiting now,
Does my waiting howl,
Am I waiting now,
Does my waiting howl.

Bring me the tame,
Witness germinating the child,
The word of mouth stutters,
Blink at the lonely guise

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I understand now. Very clearly.

So I will continue to keep my ignorant opinion, you are more than welcome to keep yours.  8)

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
You hurt man? That wasn't my intention. No need to get all proud. Drop your pride and listen to what I said.

You know that's not what I meant! It's so frustrating trying to communicate on the web with out somebodies pride getting hurt. My opinion about your opinion still stands.  8) haha

E.R.

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »
You hurt man? That wasn't my intention. No need to get all proud. Drop your pride and listen to what I said.

You know that's not what I meant! It's so frustrating trying to communicate on the web with out somebodies pride getting hurt. My opinion about your opinion still stands.  8) haha

Not hurt at all. I'm cool. You know me better than that bruh.  :)

and My opinion about yours still stands.  ;D

May we agree to disagree?

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
Yes, as long as we both learned something.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up